SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited September 2021

ARGH! Kooki99 is beginning to drive me to distraction. I really really like their design style, and I really really wish they'd do gens textures. The weird thing is, for the most part, I don't use them that often on a given character, but it's nice to have the option without making them yourself or using an appliance that may or may not match well.

That aside, Kayden and Daiji look like nice characters. Not actually much interested in the rest of the bundle, though. And a kid with that sort of scar detail is weirdly ... disturbing. I mean, I know it's a thing in real life -- horrible things happen -- but still.

I do wonder if maybe Kayden is a rejiggered buyout from someone. It's strikingly unusual for Daz to have a name-and-number character that is ONLY HD -- no standard def included. He also got more work done on him than Alex Capital did; his HD has both scarred and unscarred versions. (I suspect because the resistance to buying a scarred-only child would be pretty high.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited October 2021

I have been buying a lot less at the store recently. Overall the quality of men's outfits with the exception of a few pas such as mal3imagry and others is really sub par. What I mean by this is that the clothing has pokethrough, lacks details or relies on dforce for basic fit.

I honestly can't use any more Asian-inspired martial arts outfits. I only really use regular contemporary clothing or some scifi.

The rest is just too niche for my tastes, and while I do illustrate Asian charactersI find it strange that the themes for Asian characters seem somewhat stereotyped.

Im not a fan of kayden, or any of the recent male releases. Kaydens scar is quite large, I'm honestly a bit surprised the eye was avoided. The scar thing is overdone. 

I agree this may be a buyout and a rework of a manga character.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited September 2021

So I updated Astarion to Genesis 8.1 so I could take advantage of Torment's Pale skin, which seems better for the vampire-elf. I had to borrow the eyes from someone else though.

AstarionWIP.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 946K
    edited October 2021

So the Southern Noble outfit textures. What a mess.

Since I rarely render fantasy items, I guess I never noticed how messed up they are.

Compare the tunic and the sleeves in the thumbnail to the ones in the promo.  The sleeves in the thumbnails look so much better! For some reason, both the sleeves of the green outfit, and the black padded tunic were redone, and left filled in so, they look pretty terrible. But the thumbnail shows how they were supposed to look. What a strange design choice!

05-southern-noble-outfit-textures-daz3d (1).jpg
    2400 x 1300 - 2M
    weirdness.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 846K
  • ZiconZicon Posts: 174

I love the Southern Noble outfit, but man were there some questionable choices made when creating it. The UV map is a mess, so creating new textures for it is a chore, and slapping a shader on it for some quick variation is a no-go. Not surprised to learn that the extra material sets for it follow suit.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    edited October 2021

I can't get the PC+ for October to work with Baboo. 10_21PlatClub, is that still right or did they change it in the dB matching to something like 10_21DAZClub and then forget to tell us? 

They fixed it...

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Oh, Glad to hear it is fixed. 

edited October 2021

Rendering Elves let me use hair like this one: Romeo Hair. I really like this one. A point light allows me to light up Tav's face just a bit.

I am looking for a morph which will make the eye longer. I have ones that go bigger, and more slanted, or tilted, but I'd like one that makes it longer. If you see one, or know of one let me know.

TAV.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited October 2021

EmmaandJordi Face Morphs has a eyes longer morph, if you have that morph set

Post edited by carrie58 on

carrie58 said:

Interesting. Is this the morph https://emmaandjordi.gumroad.com/l/YaEkk

The eye 'corner out longer' ?

• Also might want to try eye almond (outer and inner).  That's what I use to make the eyes more rounded (eye almond dialed negative).

Lee

edited October 2021

Serene Night said:

carrie58 said:

Interesting. Is this the morph https://emmaandjordi.gumroad.com/l/YaEkk

The eye 'corner out longer' ?

yup that's it there's actually 2  here's a screen shot with both applied to a base G8 male

EmmaandJordi Face Morphs.png
    1450 x 1079 - 1M
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256
    edited October 2021

You inspired me to render another elf!

elfguy.jpeg
    1488 x 1261 - 735K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on

Thanks Carrie58.  I like longer narrow eyes on elves. 

nemesis10 said:

You inspired me to render another elf!

he looks awesome :claps:

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Also might want to try eye almond (outer and inner).  That's what I use to make the eyes more rounded (eye almond dialed negative).

Lee

great! I will check those out.

I tend to grab more morphs than characters ,and when I do get characters I mostly use the skins ,no insults meant to the PA's but  there are too many young beautiful characters ,though Genesis 8 has been getting more varity ,I think because of it's longer life span.......

edited October 2021

Found another Eyes long in SickleYield's 200 morphs for Genesis 8

https://sharecg.com/v/91888/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/SY-200-Morphs-for-Genesis-8-Head-and-Body

nice thing is they are free

I do the same....although if a stock character looks good, I'm not above using one, especially the monsters. But I have definite...Tastes, especially in faces. And I mostly use morphs for those.

Serene Night said:

I do the same....although if a stock character looks good, I'm not above using one, especially the monsters. But I have definite...Tastes, especially in faces. And I mostly use morphs for those.

Yeah I have tastes too and use the Randomizers to make sure I don't end up with everyone looking related ....

Wow, thanks! Bonanza!!  I bought the Emma and Jordi set. (They offer a nice coupon) They look pretty good. Now, I am going to try the free ones. SY's content is always great. 

Glad I could help ,might have found others but I got distracted organizing my back up files ......

edited October 2021

Well, if you want more elfy inspiration, there's today's new guy: https://www.daz3d.com/storm-for-genesis-8-male

Somehow, I've always thought of elves as being more slender than that. Not necessarily less muscular, just less beefy.

His eyebrows are wider than his head, I think.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited October 2021

Yeah see that is the world of Warcraft style. That game does the glowing eye orbs and the big brows.

I like more of the lord of the rings look, but Storm is a nice price a d one can put regular brows on him.

According to the PC discussion thread, Storm is probably supposed to be an even lower price than he is. (Norse Structures 1 was reset from $5.93 yesterday to $2.74 today.) It seems to be taking a day or so for prices on the new spotlight items to get set properly.

I bought Storm, since there is a gift card sale. It is disheartening he is supposed to be cheaper, and I bought him at a more expensive price.

I know the feeling. I paid the higher price for Norse Structures 1. Filed a ticket asking for a refund of the price difference, since it was an error on their part, and that's what Jack said to do, I think. Probably would work to take a screen shot of Storm at the current price, and if he does come down, ask for a refund and submit that screen shot. (I didn't have a shot of Norse Structures' price, so we'll see what happens.)

• Serene Night said:

I bought Storm, since there is a gift card sale. It is disheartening he is supposed to be cheaper, and I bought him at a more expensive price.

You should be getting store credit for the difference.

Thanks Richard! I appreciate the update.

edited October 2021

More Baldur's gate II Fan Art. 

Together.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M