Toon Generations for G8 question {project finished :)}

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited October 2021 in The Commons

I must be missing something obvious ... How do I turn G8 into a toon using toon generations? All I see are pose and prop files ... no character files.

Post edited by WillowRaven on

Comments

• Under Actor -> People -> Stylized -> Toon Generations...

There should be an "Toon Gen Strength" or "Enable TG4" dial. (I have all the Toon Generations, I think... or many/most at least.)

• are the ages controlled by the Toon Gen (3DU) Age ... so a 9yr old would be dialed to 9.00?

• Yes, precisely on the age. Of course, age is more art than science, so you just need to experiment with the dial.
  • Thanks ... I'm not used to a dialable age ... this may be cool :)

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

@WillowRaven you should find the "ToonGeneration" folder in the character folder

• there is no character folder ... only poses and props ... but The Blurst of Times helped me find how to turn G8 figures into the various toons ... I think I like it even though I don't have a lot of opportunities to do toon-style covers

• Yeah, it's a really good morph package.

You just dial in partial strength Toon Generations to get a more hybrid "Realistic"/"Toon" figure. There's a lot of good Toon figures between Genesis 3 & 8.

Star 2.0, Sakura 8, plus others... a lot of good ways to come up with good Toon figures. Toon Generations is another super tool to have, and a good baseline across both Male and Female figures. Toons are not an everyday render for me, but I think 3DU's Daz work has gotten better and better... definitely worth having for when I feel like toons.

edited September 2021

Probably a better question is are you using smart content or do you go through the content folders?oh and in the Genesis 8male or female folder is there a 3DUniverse folder?

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • I reinstalled and found character folders this time ... I also like that I can dial in specialty ages and the amount of 'toon'. As to the other question ... I customize my folders to suit my crazy brain so I can find stuff since there seems to be no real standardization for finding content, lol. Smart content just confuses me, lol.

edited September 2021

WillowRaven said:

I reinstalled and found character folders this time ... I also like that I can dial in specialty ages and the amount of 'toon'. As to the other question ... I customize my folders to suit my crazy brain so I can find stuff since there seems to be no real standardization for finding content, lol. Smart content just confuses me, lol.

Oh lordy yes I know that feeling I don't use smart content ,for the same reason ,and I organize my stuff to make me happy and get rid of vanity folders ,so I looked in the zip file to see where things were originally .....welll glad you found it okay ,besides you need that folder for the Toon Materialslaugh

• I was wondering about the materials, too, lol. I really wish there were more toon hair options, though. Curly styles, more modern kid styles like spikes, undercuts, braids, etc. I tried Little Ones hair, but it looked weird.

WillowRaven said:

I was wondering about the materials, too, lol. I really wish there were more toon hair options, though. Curly styles, more modern kid styles like spikes, undercuts, braids, etc. I tried Little Ones hair, but it looked weird.

I tend to just use regular hair on them most of the time

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Ok... if you were able to figure it out... how about posting some of your results?

:)

• I try to mix and match hairs from all the Toon Generations (back to Genesis 3, anyway)... plus more realistic universal Hair shaders (pick one that you like... I use SloshWorks' UHT shaders a lot, although I customize those). Lady Littlefox also has quite a few toonish hairs. 3DU's other figures also often come with hairs that can fit the nature of a Toon figure.

Or... just use regular hair, as already pointed out. As long as you're consistent with your hair choice, it doesn't matter so much.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited September 2021

carrie58 said:

I tend to just use regular hair on them most of the time

I sorta figured I would need to spend some more money on more hair today, lol. How do you make the regular hairstyles take on a toon feel? Or do you have some favorites? Especially for my black characters, styles most seen on kids. Giving all my kids fros is a bit limiting.

Chumly said:

Ok... if you were able to figure it out... how about posting some of your results?

:)

I will share the book cover here once the publisher gives me the ok :)

The Blurst of Times said:

I try to mix and match hairs from all the Toon Generations (back to Genesis 3, anyway)... plus more realistic universal Hair shaders (pick one that you like... I use SloshWorks' UHT shaders a lot, although I customize those). Lady Littlefox also has quite a few toonish hairs. 3DU's other figures also often come with hairs that can fit the nature of a Toon figure.

Or... just use regular hair, as already pointed out. As long as you're consistent with your hair choice, it doesn't matter so much.

Thanks ... I will check those out. Thanks for the help, guys. :)

edited September 2021

One reason I chose this set over the other mega set was the dforce clothing. However, I haven't learned dforce a lot, either, lol. I went to drape the clothes and they enlarged. What am I doing wrong? 

Plus ... I don't see a spot to control layers, like making sure the belt and skirt go over the shirt at the waist, essentially tucking it in.

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237

As you ask about hair, there is a least one set (maybe more) of Toon Hair Shaders out there, which can be used on any regular hair. I figured it was worth mentioning them. :-)

• lwaves said:

As you ask about hair, there is a least one set (maybe more) of Toon Hair Shaders out there, which can be used on any regular hair. I figured it was worth mentioning them. :-)

Thanks .. And this one is on sale, too; though I wish they showed before and afters in the promos.

edited September 2021

How do I create an Asain-looking toon gen kid?

edited September 2021

Using the regular basic morphs you can get this .......

and here is a screen shot to show you which morphs I used if you like it

AsianToonwithbasemorphs.png
    1508 x 1080 - 838K
    AsianToonwithbasemorphscloseup.png
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
  • That is so cute! Thanks for sharing the settings, too.

edited September 2021

@WillowRaven You are welcome sometimes it's just a matter of playing with the morphs you have to see what you can get oh and that is the 10 year old age preset I used

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited September 2021

yes, very nice carrie58

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

@nonesuch00 Thank you , I wasn't sure what morphs WillowRaven had to work with so base morphs it was ,if you have more morphs  you can do more but need to be gentle with what you do cause it can mess up expressions.

edited October 2021

Someone asked me to share my final results, so here we are ...

There were BW's of the others, but these are the publisher-approved promos

The two kids in the background and two younger kids on the front cover are LittleOnes for G3. The other three kids are TG for G8. Loving the age variation option and how I can lessen the toon effect when and how I want to.

Links to the other stuff ...

background trees: XfrogPlants Billboards (no longer available)

fish: Pacific Rockfish Collection

ground & grass: Nature Plants Pack 1 

dog: Pugsley the Stylized Pug

Frog 

sky falls cover art final - WEB.jpg
    1638 x 840 - 370K
    When the Sky Falls, DUCK! - 5 X 8 PAPERBACK COVER SHOT - web.jpg
    525 x 840 - 189K
    PROMO - ch 2 - merry-go-round sketch - web.jpg
    333 x 600 - 48K
    PROMO - ch 4 - olive girl sketch - web.jpg
    333 x 600 - 42K
    PROMO - ch 5 - black boy sketch - web.jpg
    333 x 600 - 43K

Very nice @WillowRaven

Thank you :)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

That's fun! Looks great.

JOdel said:

That's fun! Looks great.

Between Daz, FilterForge, and the Daz forums, sometimes I manage to fool people that I know what I'm doing when I am so faking it, lol.