Notification when a new Surface is created

pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
edited December 1969 in Daz SDK Developer Discussion

Hi.
Given the ability of Studio to select polygons and assign them to a newly-minted Surface, how do I get notification of that event?
In other word, if this is the scenario:

- User activated the Geometry Editor Tool
- User selects a group of polys
- User then creates a new Surface

What signal do I need to connect to in order to receive that notification?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Pret-A-3D said:
    Hi.
    Given the ability of Studio to select polygons and assign them to a newly-minted Surface, how do I get notification of that event?
    In other word, if this is the scenario:

- User activated the Geometry Editor Tool
    - User selects a group of polys
    - User then creates a new Surface

What signal do I need to connect to in order to receive that notification?

Thanks in advance.

I suspect you are also going to want to know when they are made invisible, as that can be done without assigning them to a surface.

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

Thank you Simon for the suggestion but I don't need that. Reality already checks for the visibility bit during export.

Cheers.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

Connecting to the DzVertexMesh::topologyChanged() signal is your best bet. Though, as you might imagine given its name, this signal is emitted for more than just facets being assigned to groups.

-Rob

edited December 1969

Thank you. So, there isn't a single signal emitted when a new surface is created by the Geometry Editor?

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

There is a signal emitted by the tool, but said tool is not part of the SDK... the tool is provided by a plugin. Said signal is "accessible" via script (not to be confused with "supported"), but that API is subject to change without notice, so attempting to use it in production is not recommended.

-Rob

edited December 1969

Is the signal accessible via C++ as well? I would not have any use for it at the script level. I don't mind the occasional unsupported/undocumented signal. If you can share more info that would be great.

Thanks.