D/S is closing Hexagon

I work with the 2 open so often didn't notice this pattern 'til today.

D/S 4.15 [reg release] and the beta 14.15.0.14 are CLOSING Hexagon "poof"

Open D/S, create a primitive or load a figure, doesn't matter, select that and send it over the bridge to Hexagon. Hexagon opens ... close D/S, Hexagon goes "poof" ...

it is in D/S's log file. It is closing Hexagon. This is NOT desirable..

So while we wait for Ascania or whoever is so interested in fixing Hexagon's coding and/or D/S's ... the work-a-round is to open Hexagon FIRST. Make a primitive [anything] and send it over the bridge so it opens D/S. Then load whichever figure it is to be worked on in D/S and send it back over the bridge to that session of Hexagon. Now one can close D/S and Hexagon will stay open.

snip from D/S's log file:

DEBUG: End DAZ Studio to Hexagon Bridge log...
WARNING: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

This looks like intentional behaviour. When I already have Hexagon open and send something from D|S over the bridge it will open a second instance of Hexagon to work in and only close that instance when closing D|S, leaving the independent one alone. Which makes sense as it is running as basically a secondary tool within the D|S environment.

Not the most desirable behaviour to some people but literally something I never noticed before.

I suspect leaving Hexagon open when closing D|S might leave too many loose ends and lead to possible crashes when the return pointer to a now killed process suddenly points to garbage.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,986
    edited August 2021

Yes, D/S is only closing the instance of Hexagon that it opened. It did not do this in previous editions. It is not a desirable thing; nor a necessary one.

The instance of Hexagon which D/S starts, works independently of D/S until such point as one wants to send an .obj back over the bridge to D/S. Before, if D/S had been closed, Hexagon would simply open a new session of D/S.

I happened to notice it this day as I thought I could spend some time making hair in Hexagon. Certainly didn't require keeping D/S open to make hair so I closed D/S and "poof" went Hexie.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • I just tried that. After sending the cube to Hex and close DS for some reason Heagon closes as well. That is strange, I do normally have both open so I never noticed this before, how strange.

• Exactly. So far seems to be another "make more work" project of whoever dreamed up putting that code into D/S. We want it out!

If sending anything over to Hexagon, very first next thing to do is "save as" - then "save" that new Hexagon project file. Close D/S which then closes Hexagon. Open Hexagon, open new project file and carry on.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Have you filed a ticket on it yet?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188

Please file a ticket to Tech Support giving the exact details how it was accomplished so they can reproduce it.

• Oh yes, that was done before I posted anywhere in the forums about this. Want it fixed after all ;-)

• Catherine3678ab said:

Yes, D/S is only closing the instance of Hexagon that it opened. It did not do this in previous editions. It is not a desirable thing; nor a necessary one.

The instance of Hexagon which D/S starts, works independently of D/S until such point as one wants to send an .obj back over the bridge to D/S. Before, if D/S had been closed, Hexagon would simply open a new session of D/S.

I happened to notice it this day as I thought I could spend some time making hair in Hexagon. Certainly didn't require keeping D/S open to make hair so I closed D/S and "poof" went Hexie.

The way DS starts Hexagon through the bridge has not changed.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Catherine3678ab said:

The way DS starts Hexagon through the bridge has not changed.

True. It's the way it's been stopping Hexagon that has changed. Never used to do that. 

And between the unstability of the present release of D/S and Hexagon, using these programs "together" to make stuff is rather challenging.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

Interesting enough, I have a customized version of Hexagon that uses the send to Daz option to actually send the geometry to Octane.

When I launch Hexagon standalone and send geometry it goes to Octane as expected. When I launch Hexagon from the DAZ bridge with the custom version open, it launches a separate instance of Hexagon and the send to Daz function works as expected. BTW this is great news that that is working correctly.

• :-(   Problem has gone to the next level ... waiting for if 'n when Hexagon is developed further as it's closing when D/S is closed is being seen as a bug in Hexagon. I'm not a coder, so whatever. If you want to continue working on a project in Hexagon after sending something to it from D/S, SAVE THE PROJECT before closing D/S. Then re-open Hexagon and carry on.

Sure hope they continue working on Hexagon and keep it usable with D/S 5+.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,195

The subject of this thread scared me in late Sept. (2021)

I read a lot more into the wording than was the case!!!  surprise