Daz Studio 5 development update

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

wsterdan said:

Their last update said by the very end of July or in the month of August. I doubt very much they're just sitting on it, I'm sure they're trying their best to get it out as soon as they can, but they can't give it to us if it won't work at all.

I'm sure we're close, just now quite yet...

-- Walt Sterdan

yes 

• I just wasted 4 ours of my afternoon only to find out DAZ isnt compatible with Big Sur. Please let us know. 

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

DIM already received an update (as of today, version 1.4.0.80 that can run on macOS BigSur on BOTH Intel and Apple Silicon. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/382131/daz-install-manager-dim-1-4-0-80-now-available-updated/p1

So I suppose we will see a first version of DAZ5 rather sooner than later

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

DIM already received an update (as of today, version 1.4.0.80 that can run on macOS BigSur on BOTH Intel and Apple Silicon. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/382131/daz-install-manager-dim-1-4-0-80-now-available-updated/p1

So I suppose we will see a first version of DAZ5 rather sooner than laterThat wa That 

That was a surprise!  I only started checking in about once a month after the first of July..  Perhaps I'll increase the frequency now.  

thanks!

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Well, not quite: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/514751/daz-studio-5-preview-release-is-delayed-and-that-s-good-news

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

DAZ_Rawb said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Well, not quite: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/514751/daz-studio-5-preview-release-is-delayed-and-that-s-good-news

Thats not too bad either. I rather go with a 4.15.x version on BigSur that is somewhat reliable than just a DS 5 pre-beta. I do hope the developers get extra coffee and cookies laugh

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited August 2021

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

DAZ_Rawb said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Thats not too bad either. I rather go with a 4.15.x version on BigSur that is somewhat reliable than just a DS 5 pre-beta. I do hope the developers get extra coffee and cookies laugh

Exactly; while I had an Intel and an m1 Mac starnding by to start testing a pre-beta, I also had a non-Big Sur computer that I use to run D|S; people with only Big Sur computers would have been using a version of D|S that would likely have left them frustrated. DAZ made the right decision, and yes, extra cofffee and cookies at a mimimum!

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

I like to install products into DS through DS itself by using the panel on the left that indicates the DAZ products, plus Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats. The Products are organized alphabetically. For example when I inspect the items listed under "S" I can pick the item I want to install. The uninstalled items are on the bottom of that location, while the installed items are located on the top of that location. 

When I install an item that way, after it installs, its "location" in that pane shifts from the uninstalled items to the installed items towards the top immediately. In older versions of DS the newly installed items would remain where they were befor installation, until I click on the "Refresh" button. I found that more helpful for installing a number of items, and then copying them to "Categories."

It would be great to see that option present in any new version of DS.

• So.. this update is all about MAC and destroying script compatibilities? 

• linkinbnu said:

So.. this update is all about MAC and destroying script compatibilities? 

Note that this isn't the just-released DS 4.15.0.25 public Build, which hasn't broken anything (at least by design, though some things do cause crashes on Mac M1 machines). With a 4.15.x.x branch that appears to resolve the Big Sur issue we may expect the timing and nature of the DS 5 releases to change, since the plan was for a pre-beta for Big Sur compatibility and that is not now needed.

• RenhaRenha Posts: 11
    edited August 2021

Noah LGP said:

I hope dForce Shapeshifting Simulation will be added.

What is "dForce Shapeshifting Simulation"? I've googled it and found basically only your message.

Also, not in the pre-bera -- it is just to update the underlying structure, not to add or remove or fix or brake (intentionally, i mean) _any_ other features.

Post edited by Renha on
    edited August 2021

Renha said:

Noah LGP said:

What is "dForce Shapeshifting Simulation"? I've googled it and found basically only your message.

Also, not in the pre-bera -- it is just to update the underlying structure, not to add or remove or fix or brake (intentionally, i mean) _any_ other features.

The pre-beta for DAZ 5 was cancelled for now, this is just a regular beta for DAZ Studio 4.15...

-- Walt

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

wsterdan said:

Renha said:

Noah LGP said:

The pre-beta for DAZ 5 was cancelled for now, this is just a regular beta for DAZ Studio 4.15...

-- Walt

Which means that the final version of DS 4 will include the changes made now - Good time to download the Current DS 4.15.02 installation files for safe keeping. 

• Is it officially safe now to upgrade to Mac OS Big Sur without causing problems to Daz and library-related files??

angelolotito said:

Is it officially safe now to upgrade to Mac OS Big Sur without causing problems to Daz and library-related files??

I can only speak for myself; with "DS 4.15.0.25 public Build", my Intel-based Big Sur machine was fine but my m1 crashed about 90% of the time due to shaders (I had 15 or 20 scene files I was working on that crashed on opening). With "DS 4.15.0.26 public Build", my m1 machine appears solid so far.

-- Walt Sterdan 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

angelolotito said:

Is it officially safe now to upgrade to Mac OS Big Sur without causing problems to Daz and library-related files??

It's a beta version that was not even meant to be... How comfortable are you hunting down possible problems and their causes? 

• PerttiA said:

angelolotito said:

It's a beta version that was not even meant to be... How comfortable are you hunting down possible problems and their causes? 

It was not expected to be - but the work was done with input from Apple, and now it is possible.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064

As a retired software/systems support guy, I say the dev team here needs a round of applause for this. This is very much a major accomplishment.

• namffuak said:

As a retired software/systems support guy, I say the dev team here needs a round of applause for this. This is very much a major accomplishment.

Also a retired software/systems support guy from the aerospace sector.  Kudos to the development team for this great accomplishment!

Lee

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097
    edited August 2021

+1 I wonder if there is any chance Apple will help the DAZ team add Metal GPU rendering to DAZ Studio?

Post edited by inquire on

inquire said:

+1 I wonder if there is any chance Apple will help the DAZ team add Metal GPU rendering to DAZ Studio?

They might, if needed, but that probably won't be until DAZ Studio 5, I would guess.

-- Walt

namffuak said:

I dunno, I ordered a new m1 iMac a few weeks ago expecting to not use it for any projects but just to test it to see if runs while waiting months for D|S 5 and instead, I get my iMac on Tuesday, have a beta that almost runs on the m1 hours later, and a short while later the shaders issue is fixed and now I'm stuck with a machine running perfectly. 

I had months of whining all lined up and now all I have is a machine that's working perfectly.

Hmmm, yeah, I guess you're right!

Great job, guys, thanks so very, very much!

-- Walt Sterdan

• I am getting the error

You do not have permission to open the application “DAZStudio”.

I am running it on M1 Macbook air

Any ideas on how to fix it?

edited August 2021
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,514

rafed_alwani said:

I am getting the error

First is that the 4.15.0.26 beta (which works) or the 4.15.0.x that doesn't?
    Second, to tell GateKeeper to trust the applciation, right click and select Open...  (If you do not have a two/tree button mouse CTRL-click).

• rafed_alwanirafed_alwani Posts: 26
    edited August 2021

Thank you for the reply. I believe it is not the beta version as the DC manager can not install it. Is there a way to install it manually?

Totte said:

rafed_alwani said:

I am getting the error

First is that the 4.15.0.26 beta (which works) or the 4.15.0.x that doesn't?
    Second, to tell GateKeeper to trust the applciation, right click and select Open...  (If you do not have a two/tree button mouse CTRL-click).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

You'll need to install the latest version of DIM:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/382131/daz-install-manager-dim-1-4-0-80-now-available-updated/p1

And install the public beta from DIM.

-- Walt

• wsterdan said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/382131/daz-install-manager-dim-1-4-0-80-now-available-updated/p1

-- Walt

It worked thank you very much

rafed_alwani said:

wsterdan said:

-- Walt

It worked thank you very much

I'm glad you're up and running!

-- Walt Sterdan 

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,028

Installed DIM ok, then Studio 4.15.02, but Iam getting the message:

"You do not have permission to open the application “DAZStudio.app”.

Not sure why it wouldsay this,unless this is not the beta (as Totte said). If that is the problem, how do I get a hold of the beta?