Sword and Sorcery Fantasy Contest Questions and Discussion

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Increasing visibility via a contest is an excellent idea.  It will help DAZ, which will help us as DAZ customers, while simultaneously being fun for people who enter.

It would be helpful to know what factors most heavily influence the judging, in order to gear the renders most closely towards the desired direction of the contest.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

would be more fun if a new dragon was coming out

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,032
    I'm not likely to participate, but the contest seems cool. It spurs the creation and showing of artwork and gives Daz some light advertising in return for offering the prizes. I'm not a fan of social media either, but the arrangement doesn't strike me as a bad one.

And the companion flash sale on fantasy items is nice - I grabbed some bundles that had been relegated to my "maybe someday at a deep discount" list.
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,583

SlimerJSpud said:

Two questions (Three questions, sire!)

Is Deviant Art sufficient and which account to follow there?

Are they really asking for the return of NVIATWAS? devil

The Daz DA account is here: https://www.deviantart.com/daz-3d

It appears they abandoned it in late 2015. Good question if DA is sufficient.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

Torquinox said:

SlimerJSpud said:

Two questions (Three questions, sire!)

Is Deviant Art sufficient and which account to follow there?

Are they really asking for the return of NVIATWAS? devil

The Daz DA account is here: https://www.deviantart.com/daz-3d

It appears they abandoned it in late 2015. Good question if DA is sufficient.

Well, I found insta_daz3d on Instagram. That's as far as I go on unsociable mediamess. There is a blurb about the contest there, so that one is valid. I don't win anything either, but it's fun, and that's all I'm in it for.

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,425

Could we maybe get some official word on this?  Would linking to our Daz gallery or to a DeviantArt account work?  Other forms of social media just arn't an option for some of us, but I would love to enter the contest!

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961

solis said:

"Post your render on the social media platform of your choice with the hashtags #Daz3D and #MadeWithDaz, and don't forget to tag us!"

Call me cynical, but...This contest is nothing more than a thinly veiled advertising/promotion/marketing campaign for DAZ...at a fraction of the cost they would have had to pay a professional company. Heck, a few thousand dollars for wide spread, world-wide public exposure?

At least they're being 'transparent' about it. cheeky

Hate to tell you, all contests are advertising promotions.

I would like to get them to officially say if posting to the gallery counts enough for an entry though.

• solissolis Posts: 124

"Hate to tell you, all contests are advertising promotions."

Yes, but the inclusion of hashtag 'encouragement' is now pushing this into google-tentacle territory. And what an icky land that is, right?

I guess that eventually 'All roads leads to Daz' will be the accepted norm.

Just my '2-cents-worth' rave against corporations seeking to cast the illusion of inclusivity and (shock, horror) caring!

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

well I post on my facebook personal page and on deviant art and on deviant I use the deviant water mark because was asked by someone if they could use my artwork with some slight changes maybe as their own artwork and in exchange they might give me credit for creating the origional so don't know if the water mark will count against me

also hopefully it is not required to upload here as really restricted with what products bought here can use here now as I've repeatly gotten into trouble using older products even some new ones that are considered unacceptable to be used in renders uploaded here now lot of the fantasy outfits from g2 and g3 mostly and i have actually been offically told this Richard so it makes it difficult to do fantasy pinup if uploading here is a requirment

Wonderland said:

I’m not even sure what “Sword & Sorcery” is. Does it have to have that old medieval fantasy look or can it be futuristic sci-fi swords and “sorcery” which would actually be future technology rather than witchcraft...  I googled sorcery and it said “use of magic, especially black magic.” Is that what Daz wants to do a contest about?  Does it have to be swords AND sorcery? Or just swords? Or sorcery for good not evil? Many of the sample images don’t have swords or sorcery and some just appear to be regular fantasy or medieval.  I guess I really don’t understand this specific genre. 

well that'd be Conan the barbarian, Red Sonja, Warhammer, Warcraft, fantasy art style of Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, Fastner and larson, Joe jusko, Luis royo, Frank frazetta, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt, Bob Eggleton,  Larry Elmoore, Keith Parkinson, Rowina Morril, Ken Kelly, Clyde Caldwell, Anne stokes well think you know most of these

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

Wonderland said:

I’m not even sure what “Sword & Sorcery” is. Does it have to have that old medieval fantasy look or can it be futuristic sci-fi swords and “sorcery” which would actually be future technology rather than witchcraft...  I googled sorcery and it said “use of magic, especially black magic.” Is that what Daz wants to do a contest about?  Does it have to be swords AND sorcery? Or just swords? Or sorcery for good not evil? Many of the sample images don’t have swords or sorcery and some just appear to be regular fantasy or medieval.  I guess I really don’t understand this specific genre. 

well that'd be Conan the barbarian, Red Sonja, Warhammer, Warcraft, fantasy art style of Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, Fastner and larson, Joe jusko, Luis royo, Frank frazetta, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt, Bob Eggleton,  Larry Elmoore, Keith Parkinson, Rowina Morril, Ken Kelly, Clyde Caldwell, Anne stokes well think you know most of these

Anne Stokes Collection Official 2019 Calendar - Lee's Dragon Dreams

Rowena Art | Facebook

Fantasy Art: Ken Kelly: Master Artist

The Art of Clyde Caldwell : Caldwell, Clyde: Amazon.com.au: Books

Artists of Sword & Sorcery: Chris Achilleos (1947-) - Dark Worlds Quarterly

The Druid Stone" by Keith Parkinson | Dark fantasy art, Scifi fantasy art,  Fantasy artwork

Larry Elmore · Silverwolf

Luis Royo Fantasy Dragon Art Wall Print POSTER 50*70cm|print poster|posters  postersluis royo - AliExpress

Free download Hellsing Dragon Boris Vallejo Luis Royo Fantasy Art Wallpaper  Mang [1024x768] for your Desktop, Mobile & Tablet | Explore 49+ Boris  Vallejo Wallpapers | Boris Vallejo Desktop Wallpaper,

The Fellowship by The Brothers Hildebrandt — Lightspeed Fine Art

Dragons' Domain: The Ultimate Dragon Painting Workshop by Bob Eggleton

The Daily Heller: Frank Frazetta, the Sci-Fi Rockwell

Review: The Fantastic Paintings of Frazetta – ComicMix

Beauty and the Beast By Frank Frazetta Art - Pop Threads

Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell's Fantasy Wall Calendar 2021: Vallejo, Boris,  Bell, Julie, Workman Calendars: 9781523508587: Amazon.com: Books

Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell: Dreamland eBook by Boris Vallejo -  9780062358110 | Rakuten Kobo United States

2011 Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell's Fantasy Calendar by Boris Vallejo and  Julie Bell: (2010) Magazine / Periodical | Centurybookstwo

Boris Vallejo - Legends of Fantasy Art vol.3 - HubPages

Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell's Fantasy 2022 Square - BrownTroutBoris Vallejo & Julie Bell's Fantasy Calendar : Boris Vallejo :  9780761162469

73+ Total War Warhammer Wallpapers 1920×1080

Warhammer Fantasy Wallpapers - Top Free Warhammer Fantasy Backgrounds -  WallpaperAccess

Warhammer Art Thread - Page 2 — Total War Forums

ArtStation - Warhammer chaos and conquest marketing images and  illustrations, Ruben Perez Gonzalez

Earl Norem and Ernie Chan Savage Sword of Conan #17 Cover Painting | Lot  #92241 | Heritage Auctions

Marvel Comics Art | Conan Artist | Marvel Artist Conan Cover Illustration

He-Man - The Prophecy Of Legends | Mad Duck Posters

ART Skeletor vs He-Man! An awesome painting by Reyhan!

Art Of Red Sonja: Lawrence, Chris, Ross, Alex, Cho, Frank, Hughes, Adam,  Lee, Jim, Turner, Michael, Brunner, Frank, Cassaday, John, Silvestri, Marc,  Thorne, Frank, Buscema, John, McNiven, Steve, Perez, George: 9781606900666:  Amazon.com:

She's Not Here to Axe You Nicely- Red Sonja: Queen of Scavengers Premium Art  Print | Sideshow Collectibles

Kiss of Death, The Art of Fastner & Larson by Rich Larson | 9780865620308 |  Booktopia

Fastner & Larson: Architects of Fantasy Vol. 1 SC - Westfield Comics

JAN121130 - JOE JUSKO MAELSTROM SKETCHBOOK HC SKETCH ED - Previews World

The Incredible Fantasy Art of Joe Jusko | Fantasy Artist

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

well I post on my facebook personal page and on deviant art and on deviant I use the deviant water mark because was asked by someone if they could use my artwork with some slight changes maybe as their own artwork and in exchange they might give me credit for creating the origional so don't know if the water mark will count against me

also hopefully it is not required to upload here as really restricted with what products bought here can use here now as I've repeatly gotten into trouble using older products even some new ones that are considered unacceptable to be used in renders uploaded here now lot of the fantasy outfits from g2 and g3 mostly and i have actually been offically told this Richard so it makes it difficult to do fantasy pinup if uploading here is a requirment

If you can't post it in the gallery, they probably wouldn't want to use it for advertising/the contest anyway. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

The promo page says the first price is "Zbrush 2021", but the rules say it's only a 6 month subscription for one... In effect a trial version. Not what I would consider any sort of price or present.

Why are they not saying if the DAZ gallery, here on the one and only social media site I use, will be accepted as "the social media platform of your choice", no Twitter, FB, DA, Insta, Youtube or Tinder here.

The rule number 8 raises some eyebrows...

Rights Granted by you: By entering this content you understand that Daz 3D, anyone acting on behalf of Daz 3D, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner’s name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Contest, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.

• kervalakervala Posts: 184

I would like to participate to the contest, but I have a question :D

Please is it possile to use 3D models we modeled ourself ?

In my case, I created the design of the outfit of my character (sword, tunic, belt, boots and armbands) using Blender, Marvelous Designer and Substance Painter. But I'm using Gia 8 + Myrina as base character as well as other products purchased on DAZ3D.

I plan to make an animation :D

• JamieMJamieM Posts: 353

PerttiA said:

The promo page says the first price is "Zbrush 2021", but the rules say it's only a 6 month subscription for one... In effect a trial version. Not what I would consider any sort of price or present.

Why are they not saying if the DAZ gallery, here on the one and only social media site I use, will be accepted as "the social media platform of your choice", no Twitter, FB, DA, Insta, Youtube or Tinder here.

Rights Granted by you: By entering this content you understand that Daz 3D, anyone acting on behalf of Daz 3D, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner’s name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Contest, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.

Yes! This really needs to be clarified. And if it's the actual product Zbrush (rather than a 6 month limited trial) is it the full version or the basic "core" version?

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

kervala said:

In my case, I created the design of the outfit of my character (sword, tunic, belt, boots and armbands) using Blender, Marvelous Designer and Substance Painter. But I'm using Gia 8 + Myrina as base character as well as other products purchased on DAZ3D.

The rules say you have to "use any item in the Daz store" to make your image, but they don't say that everything in the image has to be a Daz asset. I suppose, technically, you could build a scene where everything is self-built or bought elsewhere and then render it with Daz Studio - which is itself an "item in the Daz store." Or you could just add a rock or a clump of grass or some other insignificant element that you got from the Daz store to make it a qualifying image. But to follow the spirit of the rules, you should probably have a significant amount of Daz-bought stuff in your image.

This contest is a form advertising (and I have no problem with that). You're not going to win if the coolest looking stuff in your picture came from Renderosity.

@JamieM it's just a six month subscription. You're better off winning 2nd place.
  • AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289
    edited July 2021

certaintree38 said:

@JamieM it's just a six month subscription. You're better off winning 2nd place.

I would say you are better off not participating at all and try to sell your art in a shady digital back alley as an NFT at the cost of our planet.

PerttiA said:

Post edited by AbyssalEros on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

AbyssalEros said:

certaintree38 said:

I would say you are better off not participating at all and try to sell your art in a shady digital back alley as an NFT at the cost of our planet.

PerttiA said:

I suppose technically you could still do both, right? :P

If the 1st place prize is a 6mo subscription to ZBrush, could I, if I were to win, give that away? I already have a perpetual license and get updates for free (so I already have ZBrush 2021).  

melissastjames said:

Are you really sure that your art still belongs to you after you submitted it with this devil's contract in place? 

edited July 2021

AbyssalEros said:

melissastjames said:

Are you really sure that your art still belongs to you after you submitted it with this devil's contract in place? 

I would say yes based on statements I've seen from Daz with similar questions in past contests, but it would be nice if they reconfirm. You give them a right to use your image in their advertising, but it's still your image to post elsewhere or sell to your heart's content. And that's not just with this contest...that's just posting in their gallery in general. They've used several of my images in the past in their advertising and it's A-OK with me...free exposure. One of my images was used for this contest alone, in two places that I know of. Gotta say, it's quite flattering. And I can still sell that image if I so choose. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
    edited July 2021

melissastjames said:

AbyssalEros said:

melissastjames said:

I would say yes based on statements I've seen from Daz with similar questions in past contests, but it would be nice if they reconfirm. You give them a right to use your image in their advertising, but it's still your image to post elsewhere or sell to your heart's content. And that's not just with this contest...that's just posting in their gallery in general. They've used several of my images in the past in their advertising and it's A-OK with me...free exposure. One of my images was used for this contest alone, in two places that I know of. 

They are involved with NFT and already proved this way — in my humble opinion —  that they are "untrustworthy" - and that's why I deleted my gallery here; although I am sure I am not good enough that they could monetize my art - at least the art they could watch without having to confess afterward in the next church.

Post edited by AbyssalEros on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

melissastjames said:

AbyssalEros said:

melissastjames said:

I would say yes based on statements I've seen from Daz with similar questions in past contests, but it would be nice if they reconfirm. You give them a right to use your image in their advertising, but it's still your image to post elsewhere or sell to your heart's content. And that's not just with this contest...that's just posting in their gallery in general. They've used several of my images in the past in their advertising and it's A-OK with me...free exposure. One of my images was used for this contest alone, in two places that I know of. Gotta say, it's quite flattering. And I can still sell that image if I so choose. 

They are not just claiming rights to the artwork, but the rule 8 gives them, whoever comes after them, affiliated to them and/or anyone licenced by them to publish and sell your personal information, including your name, portrait, voice and biographical information until the end of times in any current form of media and any and all future medias, without any notice or asking for permission... 

edited July 2021
    That's not a new thing. The last couple of contests I have seen had the same language. As far as I know it's been fine for the people who won. I think it's just so they can do little blurbs about the winners if they want in thier promotional stuff in the future. They don't want to give you $500 and then be unable to talk about it later. The whole thing is for publicity.
    Post edited by Sera on

kervala said:

I don't see why not, think you only need at least one item bought from here that can be seen noticed as one of their products

edited July 2021

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

AbyssalEros said:

melissastjames said:

They are not just claiming rights to the artwork, but the rule 8 gives them, whoever comes after them, affiliated to them and/or anyone licenced by them to publish and sell your personal information, including your name, portrait, voice and biographical information until the end of times in any current form of media and any and all future medias, without any notice or asking for permission... 

And literally any cell phone app requires the use of everything on your phone, but I'm sure there are pleny of people using smartphones these days. 

And what personal information of mine do they have that everybody else, including all those apps on my smartphone, don't already have? Folks freak out about this stuff, but if you aren't living completely off the grid in the ass end of the woods while squatting in a pile of leaves, that's life in 2021. Smarphones. Alexa. Covid vaccines with tracking chips that alter our genetic code (please note my sarcasm on that one). Teslas that drive themselves (more sarcasm). And I don't even have an Alexa. :P

I want my artwork to be seen...why bother making it if I'm going to keep it locked away in a vault somewhere. 

The devil rests here really in the details. Allowing DAZ Productions Inc. to use it for advertisement is one thing. But allowing them to trade (which implies selling for some form of currency - and notice the word "licensees") your art and PERSONAL information for all eternity in any way and to anyone is ... (I am lacking the right word that will not get this post deleted for it.)
    At least in Europe, it is normal that a third party has to acquire the rights from an artist separately to use their art.

edited July 2021

AbyssalEros said:

The devil rests here really in the details. Allowing DAZ Productions Inc. to use it for advertisement is one thing. But allowing them to trade (which implies selling for some form of currency - and notice the word "licensees") your art and PERSONAL information for all eternity in any way and to anyone is ... (I am lacking the right word that will not get this post deleted for it.)
    At least in Europe, it is normal that a third party has to acquire the rights from an artist separately to use their art.

What personal information? My forum username? I don't even have payment info on the site, I use a 3rd party...so what exactly is the fear of them sharing my...email address? More spam to delete? Because I have loads of that already...what's a few more crap emails in the mountain I already get every day. 

I just don't get why people freak out about this stuff...likely while on their smartphone that is legit a tracking device and talking to Alexa that is legit a listening device. 

Any contest is going to have terms and conditions...even the contest you enter at your local grocery store to win a set of knives. They have to cover themselves with legalese. Don't like it, don't enter. You're also supposed to file taxes on your winnings. 

(And nowhere in that legalese posted above do I see Daz claiming they would have the right to SELL your image, such as using it to make and sell NFT's or posters or coffee cups or printed bandanas. I only see them stating that they would have the right to use the image in their advertising and my name as a contest winner, whether that be on social media or a YouTube video or a job fair, etc. And I certainly don't see anything in that language that says they will gain ownership to the actual rights of the image itself to sell or claim as their own, meaning anything that would prevent me from using the image however I see fit, whether that be selling it as a book cover or calendar or simply just printing it out and lighting it on fire while on stage as part of a rather steamy act of performance art.)

melissastjames said:

AbyssalEros said:

What personal information? My forum username? I don't even pay for my site, I use a 3rd party...so what exactly is the fear of them sharing my email address? More spam to delete? Because I have loads of that already...what's a few more crap emails in the mountain I already get every day. 

I just don't get why people freak out about this stuff...likely while on their smartphone that is legit a tracking device and talking to Alexa that is legit a listening device. 

You neglect the fact that if you win, you have to offer them your personal information to get the prices, and already a lot of those are in your account setting—real name, address, and so on.
    Do you have no problem that someone sells this — only to get your 5 minutes of fame?
    And btw, there are still enough people out in the wild who do not use Alexa and her criminal sisters - and care for illegal telemetry gathering.
    And what is allowed or practiced in your country is not necessarily allowed or practiced in other countries. The European Union and other governments are in the process of getting all those companies with shady practices at a leash.

edited July 2021

AbyssalEros said:

melissastjames said:

AbyssalEros said:

What personal information? My forum username? I don't even pay for my site, I use a 3rd party...so what exactly is the fear of them sharing my email address? More spam to delete? Because I have loads of that already...what's a few more crap emails in the mountain I already get every day. 

You neglect the fact that if you win, you have to offer them your personal information to get the prices, and already a lot of those are in your account setting—real name, address, and so on.
    Do you have no problem that someone sells this — only to get your 5 minutes of fame?
    And btw, there are still enough people out in the wild who do not use Alexa and her criminal sisters - and care for illegal telemetry gathering.
    And what is allowed or practiced in your country is not necessarily allowed or practiced in other countries. The European Union and other governments are in the process of getting all those companies with shady practices at a leash.

If someone wants my address bad enough, they can get it, regardless of if Daz has it or not. I just can't see the point of living my life wearing a tinfoil hat. The only way to avoid the world is to withdraw from it entirely...meaning no smartphones and no credit cards and no social media. I just can't do that. But, I don't have Alexa, as I already said. I also can't live with a webcam in my house without keeping it pointed at the ceiling or covered with a sock when I'm not using it. 

And again...I want my artwork to be seen. If I only keep it for myself, it might as well stay in my head and I won't waste my time or money putting it to 'paper', so to speak. And I'd much rather trust Daz with it, who actually bothers with legalese, than some shady dude in Russia who just straight up jacks it with a Google Image bot and puts it up for sale on a fly-by-night poster printing page that changes its name regularly rather than dealing with dmca claims. Those are the people we should be worrying about. Even moreso now with the advent of NFT.