1080Ti Want to add Gifted 1070 for SLI - Is it worth it

Hello,

Im currently running a 1080TI and a buddy is giving me his unused 1070. Curious what kind of render gains I would see and if its worth adding it to my system?

From what I read a while back daz would only access the ram of one card not both, is that correct?

Like most of you I'm struggling to find my dream card. (3090RTX)

BTW: I'm running a Enermax 1050watt PS so thats not an issue :)

Thanks in advance!

Post edited by anthony.luigi_05ebfcd7e7 on

Comments

• RodrijRodrij Posts: 154

For SLI you need the same card to work in games. For rendering you don't need SLI mode and it is recommended you don't use it. Using more cards will speed up rendering tumes, I use a 1080ti with 3 titan x cards. the only downside is cooling since you have multiple cards generating heat next to each other and VRAM since  the renders will only be able to use the lowest amount if the cards are used together. The 1080 has 11gb and the 1070 has 8gb. So if you you want to use them together you have to make sure the scene is under 8gb since the entire scene has to be loaded in both cards for it to work.

Adding the 1070 will increase performance by around 60% based on the cuda cores and speed. So a minute render will take about 45 seconds. If you had another 1080ti rendering times would be cut in half. It pretty much scales linearly.

• Thanks Rodrij. That pretty much ansers it for me Im finding 11GB isnt cutting it for me and dropping to 8GB would be even worse.

Too bad it doesnt use the higher RAM Vram, thats kind of BS!

edited July 2021

anthony.luigi_05ebfcd7e7 said:

Thanks Rodrij. That pretty much ansers it for me Im finding 11GB isnt cutting it for me and dropping to 8GB would be even worse.

You can always disable one card in render settings if the scene is too big, if you have the card you might as well use it for smaller scenes.

Also, you can lower ram by doing some optimization with textures . I usually remove all Normal Maps since they are usually  high resolution PNGs and the bumpmap does a the same thing with little benefit in having both. I also use a program like Faststone to batch convert the textures to lower quality, usually JPG 70-80 and sometimes lower resolution. I just copy the original textures and put them in a backup folder in the same irectory then overwrite the textures with the compressed jpg versions so I don't have to add the textures to the shaders since they will have the same name.

A lot of models are over textured for what they do and make little visual difference if any. You don't really need 4k gloss textrue on a table when you are rendering at 1080 for example unless your doing a scene where people are shrunk down and the tabel is the set piece.

Post edited by Rodrij on
  • True, good point.

Ive been using "scene optimizer" and it does make a big difference!

Never tried Faststone though. I'll check it out. Is it on Daz?

edited July 2021

True, good point.

Ive been using "scene optimizer" and it does make a big difference!

Never tried Faststone though. I'll check it out. Is it on Daz?

It is a seperate free program you can download. It is not specifically for daz just a way to manipulate images in mass. It also lets you change other things like brightness, contrast, saturation etc.Unlike Scene optimizer you manually have to go into each texture folder. The only thing that scene optimizer doesn't do is let you save out images with same resolution but lower quality which is why I use that program.

https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm ;

Post edited by Rodrij on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,456
    edited July 2021

Rodrij said:

It is a seperate free program you can download. It is not specifically for daz just a way to manipulate images in mass. It also lets you change other things like brightness, contrast, saturation etc.Unlike Scene optimizer you manually have to go into each texture folder. The only thing that scene optimizer doesn't do is let you save out images with same resolution but lower quality which is why I use that program.

What do you mean by "lower quality"?

If you are not lowering the pixel size of the image or the color depth (24bit to 8 bit), you are not saving any memory. Compressing images more and thus using less space when saved on the disk, saves only storage space.
    When the images are opened in any program, they will use memory in their uncompressed state (Width (px) x Height (px) x color depth (bits) / 8 (bits) / 1024^2 = MegaBytes), which means a 4096x4096x24bit image takes 48MB's of memory irrespective of the size of the image file on the disk.

Post edited by PerttiA on

PerttiA said:

Rodrij said:

What do you mean by "lower quality"?

If you are not lowering the pixel size of the image or the color depth (24bit to 8 bit), you are not saving any memory. Compressing images more and thus using less space when saved on the disk, saves only storage space.
    When the images are opened in any program, they will use memory in their uncompressed state (Width (px) x Height (px) x color depth (bits) / 8 (bits) / 1024^2 = MegaBytes), which means a 4096x4096x24bit image takes 48MB's of memory irrespective of the size of the image file on the disk.

Yeah, you are right. I did some test with Iray memory assisstant and quality makes no difference, I thought smaller storage size would also apply to VRAM storage.  

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

It's not that "it doesn't use the higher VRAM", it's that the scene needs to fit in the VRAM of each card used to render.
    So if the scene is under 8GB DS will use both cards. If it doesn't fit the smaller card but fits the bigger one, only the bigger one will be used (automatically). If it fits neither, it will drop to CPU.

• Leana said:

It's not that "it doesn't use the higher VRAM", it's that the scene needs to fit in the VRAM of each card used to render.
    So if the scene is under 8GB DS will use both cards. If it doesn't fit the smaller card but fits the bigger one, only the bigger one will be used (automatically). If it fits neither, it will drop to CPU.

That makes more sense and adding the 1070 to my 1080TI worthwhile. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!