Laptop minimum requirements for DS and PS11?

I might have a chance to get a laptop soon. Hopefully I'm right. I do want a laptop as desktop isn't being considered.

I'm getting it for another reason which states its minimum requirements are processor 1.2Ghz or faster, 4 GB of Ram or more, video resolution of 1024x768 or better, actual mouse is recommended, speakers and microphone needed (headphones cool in case needed), web camera, and Windows 10.

I'm gathering I would need a WiFi adapter built on that can do 5g WiFi not just 2.6g version.

I assume that their minimum requirements won't be enough for DS or PS11.

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    Forgot to clarify PS in this context means Poser not Photoshop. Maybe I should also look up Blender requirements?
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,472

For DS min 16GB RAM and min 6GB VRAM on Nvidia GPU

• DafaDafa Posts: 97

Oh boy... those requirements you said are like the absolute bare minimum to run DAZ with one character or even a few objects for other 3D programs. Are you planning to use the laptop for solely 3D work? If so, you should not go to minimum specs. It will be very painful to deal with. But if you insist,

Here it says you need at least 2 GB RAM minimum, 1 GB storage (to download app), and other stuff; but it's outdated. And for blender, 64-bit CPU w/ 2Ghz 2 Core - 4 GB RAM - 
    1280×768 display - and a GPU with at least 1 GB of RAM that supports OpenGL 3.3. 

Yes, you should look at other apps to get a good indication of what computer to buy. And because I need to stress this more, please do NOT buy a computer to satisfy minimum requirements. You will be very disappointed if you proceed with this. Instead, your minimum requirements should be the recommended requirements. To be honest (it's not like I haven't been), Blender's recommended requirements are good enough for all 3D apps. Just an FYI, if you plan to use the IRAY render, you must have an NVIDIA GPU card with CUDA 2.0+ cores. 

I also encourage you to do some research about why these components are critical for computer graphics, like "why do I need a GPU" or something like that. 

• DafaDafa Posts: 97
    edited June 2021

And to put into even more perspective, the minimum requirement for internet is a DSL internet connection (max 1.5Mbps). It is verrrrryyyy slowwwwww, it will take you minutes just to load up your email -  but it works because it's the minimum. The recommended would be cable internet, maybe 50 Mbps, 100, 200, 400. The optimal would be fiber internet (1-2 Gbps). 

Post edited by Dafa on
    Good news is I might get two thousand to get a new laptop. Bad news is probably not until August.
  • Dafa said:

And to put into even more perspective, the minimum requirement for internet is a DSL internet connection (max 1.5Mbps). It is verrrrryyyy slowwwwww, it will take you minutes just to load up your email -  but it works because it's the minimum. The recommended would be cable internet, maybe 50 Mbps, 100, 200, 400. The optimal would be fiber internet (1-2 Gbps). 

We have 12 Mbps up15 Mbps /down at work (14 full time employees, 3 part time) and it's more than adequate, even with multiple Zoom calls running simultaneously. If it's taking you minutes to upload/download email, you need to check for a PEBCAK or an Id-ten-T error.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Look on the bright side.  Maybe by August things will have changed and $2K will get you more machine than it will now.

I'm getting closer to finding out if I will find out if I can get the funds.
    I fear my dreams don't come true. Not even the bizarre dreams I have at night.

How do you know that those dreams are not the real reality, making what you are experiencing now, just a dream?

Are these specs okay?
    Screenshot_20210730-165220.png
    480 x 854 - 102K
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065

It should work. Those specs are higher than my current desktop I use quite happily to render with DS. The 6Gb graphics card is the weakest point, and the same VRAM as mine ( which drops to CPU rendering on occasions with 2 characters, but often does 3 happily in GPU). Should be reasonable for a few years (provided DAZ doesn't drastically increase the minimum specs with DS5).

I forgot to check the vram of the GPU.
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065
    The spec says the 1660 is 6Gb. Difficult settling on a spec, isn't it? You always feel you've compromised more than you want, and it cost too much to get what you did.
    That order got cancelled but will try to order something similar within the next 4 days hopefully.
    Sfariah said:
    That order got cancelled but will try to order something similar within the next 4 days hopefully.
    I should be getting funds tomorrow or soon after. That is what I was told if I understand correctly.

I think I'm in the right thread.  Is this a good computer?

29E0E687-E888-4379-8A26-8FB4970EA9A5.png
    750 x 1334 - 237K

Sfariah said:

I think I'm in the right thread.  Is this a good computer?

Only 4GB's VRAM 

• Yep, 4Gb is about big enough for 1x G8F + background or if some textures are shared 2x G8F. Win 10 reserves more VRAM for itself than Win7, so you'll be lucky to render more than that in GPU.

Regards,

Richard.

I'm trying to cancel the order and try to get something better later.

The order got cancelled so will try again later.

Good news that I canceled the laptop order.  I'm moving soon.

I am feeling like some curse is on me.  I don't know why or how to get rid of it.  I feel like this curse is keeping me from things I need or want, so I'm angry.