DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.3.52, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,197
    edited December 1969

The difference in file reads is due to the fact that DS doesn't load the morph data until it's needed - so on first application the morph deltas have to be loaded (all the .dsf reads), but on second application they are already loaded and ready for use. So I don't think that is directly related to your issue.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

The difference in file reads is due to the fact that DS doesn't load the morph data until it's needed - so on first application the morph deltas have to be loaded (all the .dsf reads), but on second application they are already loaded and ready for use. So I don't think that is directly related to your issue.

For each new .pz2 pose? Does the morph data change every time a new .pz2 is applied?

What you say is obviously confirmed by the fact that I can load that same pose a second time without problem. I would have thought the morph data would be the same for all poses but I'm probably not understanding the process. So my issue is with initial loading of morph data. Sometimes, while in the "exploded" state, the figure is returned to standard V4 or M4 - i.e. any character details are lost. They return upon the second try.

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited September 2014

marble said:

For each new .pz2 pose? Does the morph data change every time a new .pz2 is applied?

What you say is obviously confirmed by the fact that I can load that same pose a second time without problem. I would have thought the morph data would be the same for all poses but I'm probably not understanding the process. So my issue is with initial loading of morph data. Sometimes, while in the "exploded" state, the figure is returned to standard V4 or M4 - i.e. any character details are lost. They return upon the second try.

Marble: I'm having the exact same problem, it happens a lot, and it drives me crazy! I submitted a bug report several months ago but they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I'm also on a Mac. I don't know if it's a Mac only issue.

Edit: the bug report is 162610. They suggested I update to DS 4.6.3.52. I hadn't realized, but for some reason I'm using 4.6.3.50, which I don't even see mentioned. Also, they pointed out that V4.2 Base was updated in March and suggest I try that as well. I'm surprised that this was updated without some sort of alert from Daz... (I haven't tried these updates yet to see if they make any difference.)

Post edited by CMacks on
    edited December 1969

CMacks said:

Marble: I'm having the exact same problem, it happens a lot, and it drives me crazy! I submitted a bug report several months ago but they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I'm also on a Mac. I don't know if it's a Mac only issue.

Edit: the bug report is 162610. They suggested I update to DS 4.6.3.52. I hadn't realized, but for some reason I'm using 4.6.3.50, which I don't even see mentioned. Also, they pointed out that V4.2 Base was updated in March and suggest I try that as well. I'm surprised that this was updated without some sort of alert from Daz... (I haven't tried these updates yet to see if they make any difference.)

I am updated to 4.6.3.52 but I have not updated V4.2. Would I also need to update Morphs++ and re-initialise? I'll be interested in your results.

As for Mac - I'm a true convert. I had Windows since it first came out (mainly because of work) but since I retired I switched to Mac and love it. Trouble is that developers often see a Mac version as an afterthought but that may change as more people switch.

• BerBuzBerBuz Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

I download this version (and download manager) 2 days back and load/save became ultra-slow. I’m also facing several crashes while loading FBMs on G2F, does anybody else got the same problems?

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited September 2014

I never realized V4.2 was updated! Do we need to just reinstall the V4 base or all the morph packs also? Will the V4.2 update affect our custom V4 characters or those in our existing saved scenes?

I would think this is kind of a big deal to have flown so low under the radar.

Post edited by chorse on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The update to V4 base was to fix the 17K LOD version, so it doesn't sound to me like it's related to this issue.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

so is version 4.6.3.52! it - nothing new for some time

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    so is version 4.6.3.52! it - nothing new for some time

Well, this issue has been present for some time also, so I guess I should give it a try.

edited December 1969

The update to V4 base was to fix the 17K LOD version, so it doesn't sound to me like it's related to this issue.

Well, I reinstalled V4 Base and Morphs++ (just in case) and it made no difference to the problem CMacks and I are seeing. I wonder whether the bug report is still open? Since they changed the Bug website I have no idea how to get to it.

edited December 1969

marble said:

Well, I reinstalled V4 Base and Morphs++ (just in case) and it made no difference to the problem CMacks and I are seeing. I wonder whether the bug report is still open? Since they changed the Bug website I have no idea how to get to it.

The developers can still see the old bug reports, but we can't, so if you want an update you should submit a new bug report.

edited December 1969

The bug report is 162610. See if you can find it/add comments. Thanks!

edited December 1969

CMacks said:
    The bug report is 162610. See if you can find it/add comments. Thanks!

Oh, I can't access them either. I'd suggest submitting a new report giving the number of the old one.

• judee3djudee3d Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm having a huge problem with DS crashing. It wasn't doing this before the current update. Granted I hadn't been using it a lot, so I can't absolutely say it was this update, but I had used it a couple of months ago to work on some poses for a friend, and it seemed fine. Now I wanted to do some more work in it, and looked through DIM first, saw another version available and let it install.

Since then, it seems to crash on me at every other turn. I can load a prop, it seems fine, but as soon as I open the surfaces tab and try to apply a texture, boom the program quits to desktop. Or try to render, boom to desktop. It won't work more than a couple of minutes before it hits. This didn't happen right after the update, btw, it seemed to be functioning for awhile, with only one crash in a 15-20 minute period.

During that time, I was trying to test some shaders, and found a couple of other problems, too, but can't guarantee that they are linked to this update.

My Spot Render only comes out the same as the openGL pane, it looks no different than looking at what is already in the pane. I tried applying some shaders to see what they looked like - invisible in the preview pane, but again, doing a spot render, no difference, I can't see what the shaders are doing. Unless I do a full render. Then it shows up.That is not normal, right? I mean, I know I read somewhere that you should be able to use the spot render to test how shaders and such look without having to do a full render. Right? So shouldn't the sopt render look different from the viewpane?

But there is a problem with the full renders, too. Depending on the render settings. If the render settings are at the lowest, again, it gives me the same render as the openGL viewport, no difference. If I set it up one or two notches, it's better, but still doesn't look like the shader is supposed to look, no reflections, nothing as I expected it to be. Then if I put it to the highest render setting, it renders a black page. Not blank, black. I am rendering to a new window that pops up, and the page that pops up is completely black. I thought maybe it was just calculating and would eventually start rendering or something - so I let it sit there for several minutes, waiting to see if it would start rendering, but no, it was just the black page sitting there.

After about ten minutes of trying to figure out why the rendering wasn't happening, DS started crashing, and now every time I open it, it crashes within 2 minutes. Yes, I have restarted my PC, it still crashes.

Has anyone else had problems with the rendering as mentioned above? There was only one object and one figure in the scene, no textures loaded other than the ones native to the object. I was testing with some of DS's basic shaders, just to see how it looked, and so wasn't introducing anything complex into the scene.

Is there any way to install the previous version? With DIM, all I know to do would be to uninstall, then re-install, but since I haven't saved past version .exe files, I don't have the previous version, and the only one available through DIM is the current one.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance. :)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Did you have an update for your graphics card drivers?
    Because the crash after surface changes sounds to me like graphics card driver issues.

By the way: a very, very, very - VERY belated thank you for your tutorial for DS1.something - it was the one that made me understand how DS works.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Kerya. No I didn't have any update on my vid card, maybe that is the problem - lack of updating. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

And you are welcome on that tut - it's been a long time since it was useful, lol, with all the changes DS has gone through, it's really out of date, but at the time I did try to make it user-friendly.

Now I'm the one who needs a tut! :-) I've allowed DS (and Poser) to sit on my computer unused for too long, due to miscellaneous factors, and now it's like a whole new program. Much more complex, which is not a bad thing, it just requires a little more time to get to know.

But first I need to get it working. Hopefully an update on the vid card will help.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited September 2014

judee3d said:
    Now I wanted to do some more work in it, and looked through DIM first, saw another version available and let it install.

How old was the last version you had installed, and when did you last update the content? Older versions had all the content in just one installer separate from the program installer; now there are installers for Genesis, Genesis 2, Default lights and shaders, and Subsurface shaders. These have stayed the same for the last couple of D|S versions, but if your last version is older than that, and you only updated the program, then the content incompatibilities might be causing your Weird Stuff™ to happen.
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited December 1969

SpottedKitty, thanks for the reply. I don't know what version exactly, but it was only re-installed (DS) about 6 months ago, from scratch, DIM included. I had changed computers previously to that. I installed the base content at that time. Besides, doesn't DIM let you know if your content needs updating?

I'll double check, anyway. Thanks for the suggestion. Does no one else have a problem with the rendering going black like that?

And again, is it normal for the spot render to look the same as the openGL preview?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Uhm ... DIM, one of the few things I installed with DIM is DS and the
    Default Lights and Shaders for DazStudio
    Did you update/Install those too?

edited December 1969

judee3d said:
    I'll double check, anyway. Thanks for the suggestion. Does no one else have a problem with the rendering going black like that?

And again, is it normal for the spot render to look the same as the openGL preview?

That's just it, the appearance of a render very much depends on having a version of the shaders that matches the version of the program. I've no idea what happens when the two don't match, since I've always made sure to check the program update notices here on the forums to see if the content has been changed as well. DIM should notify you if there have been content changes, but I don't use it so I'm not sure how to do a manual check.
    edited December 1969

Thanks each to you for the help.

For the record, DIM will load any updates available at the top of the list, which is really why I decided to use it. I never touched it before, but this time, when starting from scratch, tried it out and I find it to be remarkably handy. Not always easy to find a particular product - I have a lot of content that is not installed - but if you know a key word or two in the product title, it's easier. Not a perfect system, but now that I've used it for awhile, I do recommend it. The only problem is, if you already have a lot of your content installed vial the regular method, I don't think it will recognize those products a having been installed already. You really do have to start from scratch. So it's perfect for beginners new to DS, or for anyone with a new computer who wants to start with fresh runtimes. (and yes, it can install to external runtimes, even multiple ones, for Poser content, it's just a matter of pointing it where you want)

Back to my problem, I did update my vid card, didn't help. But then I started looking around in my files, and realized something. And this may be a glitch in DIM, or my misunderstanding it. Apparently when I re-installed DS, it didn't uninstall the previous one, and it placed the new version in a file path that was incorrect. I don't install to Program Files, but instead use a folder called Prog3d, for all 3d art related programs. I originally created a folder for Daz3d in that one, then a folder for Studio under it, and that was where I pointed the original install. But apparently now DIM only wants you to point to the top folder, in my case, Prog3d, as the installer creates the Daz3d/Daz Studio 4 sub-folders itself. Not sure if that's making sense, but it was installing into the wrong path. I had it pointing to Daz3d/Das Studio 4 and so it installed into Daz3d/Daz Studio 4/DAz3d/DazStudio4, creating the new folders after the ones I had already done. So I uninstalled, then deleted the remaining folders, and reinstalled allowing it to create the sub folders itself. Once the double versions of DS were cleared out and only one installed, it worked again.

And just for the record, the file path to content didn't change, it was just the file path to the program.

I'd be interested in hearing if this is some kind of update that was done in DIM - because before, I'm pretty sure it asked for the file path to the folder where DS would install - whatever you called the folder, it would instal there. I don't remember it creating the Daz3d folder and DS4 Sub folders. Once I changed the file path in DIM and removed the old, it did install correctly, but creating it's sub folders along with it. I'm not sure I'm explaining that clearly, but I found it to be curious because I'm pretty sure it didn't do that before, though I may be wrong.

Anyway, my gratitude to both of you, Kerya, and Spotted Kitty. It's nice to see people trying to help out, and each of your suggestions were good ones. :) I do intend to re-install the Genesis content and any lights and shaders that are native to DS, just to be sure they are all on the same page.

Thanks again for the help and consideration. :)

• ScotsprincessScotsprincess Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I installed the newest upgrade but I have forgotten how to reinstall the Luxrender plugin and the LAMH plugin. I really wish I didn't have to go through this every time. Could someone please refresh my memory...step by step? I don't even know where to find the plugin files.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:
    I installed the newest upgrade but I have forgotten how to reinstall the Luxrender plugin and the LAMH plugin. I really wish I didn't have to go through this every time. Could someone please refresh my memory...step by step? I don't even know where to find the plugin files.
    You don't have to reinstall them at all.
    edited December 1969

Then where are they? Cause I certainly don't have any access to these programs at all. How am I supposed to use Luxrender if it's not there?

edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:
    Then where are they? Cause I certainly don't have any access to these programs at all. How am I supposed to use Luxrender if it's not there?

Did you install the update the same way as the previous version (standalone installer vs. DIM)?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:
    Installing or uninstalling DAZ Studio does not uninstall plug-ins, certainly not 3rd Party Plug-ins, though it can disable the Dynamic Cloth Control Plug-in.
    edited September 2014

I always use the DIM when I upgrade. I have avoided these upgrades for the past year just because of this problem. The last time I upgraded, I lost Reality, Dynamic clothing (full version ), and Luxrender. This time I did not lose Reality but I did lose everything else, including LAMH. The only one that really bothers me is Luxrender. I use that program often.
    Okay. I reinstalled the upgrade and got Luxrender back but I lost Reality, Dynamic clothing entirely, LAMH and Garibaldi.

Post edited by Scotsprincess on
    edited December 1969

Remember that there are two Dynamic Clothing plugins, the basic one that comes with the D|S installer, and the complete non-free plugin, which must be updated every time you update D|S — the plugin updates are tied to the D|S updates, if you don't update the plugin at the same time then it won't match the D|S version and your dynamic cloth won't work.

edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:

Luxrender is a completely separate program. It's not a plug-in to DS. I think you must be asking about Reality or Luxus, which are plug-ins. Which one do you mean?

edited September 2014

I said that it was the plugins that weren't working at the start of this question. I got the plugin for Luxrender working but Reality, Dynamic clothing and Garibaldi hair are not. I reinstalled the others but I got nothing. Not even the free version of Dynamic clothing even though I have the full version.

Post edited by Scotsprincess on