Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I can't seem to post without previewing first. I also have troubles quoting somebody. I end up copying my response and the quote I'm responding to, then going to the regular Post Reply button and pasting into the text window. Very tedious and time consuming. I've got to get my crap together and test it in different browsers to see if I have the same issues.

My big questions would be, is the software internet standards compliant, or is it some Windows only software that assumes everybody uses IE and to heck with internet standards because it's easier just to go with what MS wants the standards to be, and to heck with everybody else?

More than likely, it's buggy software, that makes a lot of cool promises and is poorly executed.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Anyone still following this buried thread? Sure wish we could bump it to the top. :-( ***ERROR*** FROWNY EMOTICON NOT FOUND

Anyway... here's some eye candy.

Comments welcome.

eyecandy3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K
  • edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Anyone still following this buried thread? Sure wish we could bump it to the top. :-( ***ERROR*** FROWNY EMOTICON NOT FOUND

Anyway... here's some eye candy.

Comments welcome.

Excellent looking glass. Including the candy reflections in the rim!

Shawn.

edited December 1969

I agree very nice job on the candies and especially the glass and it's refraction!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited June 2012

damn, now I feel like some smarties!
    (they are Smarties as no mm printed on them)
    would you believe I "liked" Smarties on Facebook! 〝•⌒•”

and tried adding some symbols that are not android friendly unicode so I cannot see them, but forum will not let me post them and leaves off sentences after!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Excellent looking glass. Including the candy reflections in the rim!

I agree very nice job on the candies and especially the glass and it's refraction!

Thank you both. I've got to admit, the glass is simply the default Crystal shader. I did use a custom bi-gradient scene background to provide some highlights.

damn, now I feel like some smarties!
    (they are Smarties as no mm printed on them)
    would you believe I "liked" Smarties on Facebook! 〝•⌒•”

I had to google "Smarties" to find out what they are. :lol:
    Turns out they're not sold here in the US.
    Mine were based on m&m's, but I didn't want it to look like a advertisement, so I left the logo off.
    I'm glad that they look good enough to eat. :coolsmile:
    edited December 1969

should have put C8 on them!
    I did Carrara sugar cubes with a corner chipped off!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb-NFZdaTCk

edited December 1969

Hopefully this will bum the thread and get some more responses and artwork.

I started to set this scene up a few weeks/months back when Marilyn Monroe's pictures were being auctioned off. The forums kinda' went kablooey, and my spare time dried up. I finally had a couple hours to spare and finished setting my lights, adjusting shaders, pissing around with the hair, etc. etc.

Both are identical images, except that in the second one I did some postwork for a subtle DOF using a depth pass I rendered. I did use Caustics, but not full GI or Skylight.

MMonroe_test02_copy.png
    800 x 600 - 214K
    MMonroe_test01_copy.png
    800 x 600 - 247K
    edited December 1969

A still shot from an image sequence I've been working on:

engines_firing0075.png
    720 x 480 - 459K
    edited December 1969

this thread needs a bump and Holly wants fur
    so
    since my cats will not stay still to do an Autodesk 123Dcatch I grabbed someone else's off the public gallery and furred it up in Carrara
    yes I can, did it in response to a post on their forum where someone asked how NOT to put their work up on the gallery for unrestricted use!

123dcatch_gallery_cat.gif
    500 x 500 - 3M
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Late to the party, but finally found this thread...

Had to do a "futuristic cityscape" for a graduation party. Was projected onto the walls during the dinner part of the night. I might post a bit of the video later, but I guess we have no way of embedding youtube or vimeo in these stinkypoo forums...?

Picture_15.png
    745 x 710 - 597K
    edited December 1969

Late to the party, but finally found this thread...

Had to do a "futuristic cityscape" for a graduation party. Was projected onto the walls during the dinner part of the night. I might post a bit of the video later, but I guess we have no way of embedding youtube or vimeo in these stinkypoo forums...?

This has kind of an old school sci-fi tabloid look to it. Being from the "old" school myself, I like it. I especially like the treatment of the distant cityscape.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

sluggish behaviour :)

snail1_189.jpg
    800 x 600 - 43K
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

looking for lighting realism in C8

sanlor.jpg
    2000 x 1414 - 522K
    edited December 1969

Very nice job.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

Very nice job.

thank you EP (was that for me, right?) #
    no pw except some wall shadows in the photomontage
    edited December 1969

Very nice job.

thank you EP (was that for me, right?) #
    no pw except some wall shadows in the photomontage

Most certainly!

edited August 2012

Just a little "bump". (Now that we can.) :coolsmile:

Frog-bump.jpg
    800 x 600 - 94K
    Post edited by de3an on
    edited December 1969

ooh that has me thinking!
    (too cold to get out of bed and fire up pooter, on Android)
    if one attaches a target helper to a physics object and gets it to track a figure's hand (or tongue) can they pull it?
    as opposed to using a force to push it from behind as you normally would.
    so a brick could be pulled from a stacked wall which then may collapse.

edited December 1969

ooh that has me thinking!
    (too cold to get out of bed and fire up pooter, on Android)
    if one attaches a target helper to a physics object and gets it to track a figure's hand (or tongue) can they pull it?
    as opposed to using a force to push it from behind as you normally would.
    so a brick could be pulled from a stacked wall which then may collapse.

I've not been able to make anything like that work for me.
    Seems like keyframe and physics motion methods don't work well in combination. :-( ***ERROR*** FROWNY EMOTICON NOT FOUND

(sure wish we had a standard frown.)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Simple method is to put a non-physics brick in the middle and pull it out, then the physics ones collapse.

Which brings up a question - how do you guys who knock walls down keep the wall in place until an event occurs to knock it down. With everything I've tried, the bricks first do a little jump away from each other from the start of the sim. Turning down collision distance has some effect, but not enough to keep the wall intact until it gets hit.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Simple method is to put a non-physics brick in the middle and pull it out, then the physics ones collapse.

Which brings up a question - how do you guys who knock walls down keep the wall in place until an event occurs to knock it down. With everything I've tried, the bricks first do a little jump away from each other from the start of the sim. Turning down collision distance has some effect, but not enough to keep the wall intact until it gets hit.

Turning the collision distance to zero should keep the bricks from jumping away from each other. It works for me.
    If you let your wall set undisturbed for too long however, things will still tend to drift a little.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

That works for me too - thanks de3an.

I overcame the relative unresponsiveness by adding in a couple of offset wrecking balls for the sim and making them invisible in the render - great stuff!

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited August 2012

This is a cellphone video shot by 18-year-old Bobbie Jo Johnson in a Wal Mart parking lot on the outskirts of Cornhusk, Iowa. She and her boyfriend, Billy Bob Arnold, were necking in the back seat of his parents’ 1963 Buick LeSabre when they felt the car shake and heard a loud noise. They looked out the fogged rear window to see a huge, otherworldly machine reeking havoc as it trampled everything in its path. Billy Bob immediately started the car and high-tailed it out of there as Bobbie Jo leaned out the window and caught all of the action on her cellphone. You can see the monstrous machine destroying a ’57 Chevy Bel Air owned by Earl and Marge Henderson.

Little did they know at the time that this was the first in an invading wave of deadly Traumadors that had landed in America’s heartland, intent on inflicting widespread trauma.

http://youtu.be/aWyh8sxkBL4

shoot, I forgot to add camera shake...

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited August 2012

Just a little test to see if the image posting has been improved.

Cool! The forum resizes it for you! Not limited by the 800x800 pixels anymore! I'll assume there's the old 500KB file size still.

Duck01.jpg
    1236 x 927 - 453K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Cool! The forum resizes it for you! Not limited by the 800x800 pixels anymore! I'll assume there's the old 500KB file size still.

Nice composite. Looks pretty real.
    Maybe you could sink the tires into the dirt road just a little.

edited December 1969

de3an said:

Nice composite. Looks pretty real.
    Maybe you could sink the tires into the dirt road just a little.

Thanks!

I thought of sinking the model a little into my driveway- well, shadow catcher- after I did the render..... D'oh!

I was trying an experiment. I was playing around with the shadow catcher, a reflective surface, alphas and Photoshop. Sure would be nice if there was a reflection catcher as well as a shadow catcher. Would have made the puddles a bit easier to deal with.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Limit is now 10MB for up to 5 images.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And max of 2000x2000 for the original image.

edited December 1969

That is awesome!

This discussion has been closed.