Hard Drive is Getting Full

I have a computer which is for Daz Studio.  I am running out of room on the hard drive.  Any suggestions on what I can do?  Other than stop buying 3d models, of course.

Comments

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

I have my studio running from a 10 tetrabyte external drive haven't noticed any problems from doing that

• BHawkBHawk Posts: 59

I am guessing that you can redirect DazCentral to download and install into your external drive?

Thank you for the suggestion!

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,558

My suggestion is to never have your content on the C drive anyway. Get an unrecoverable failure and you'll have to re-install it all. Buy an external drve for your content library so if anything goes wrong you can just plug it in again.

• BHawk said:

I am guessing that you can redirect DazCentral to download and install into your external drive?

Thank you for the suggestion!

Yes, Daz Central allows you to set a base path.

Okay! One external drive ordered.  So the question is now, should I move the Daz content to the external drive?  And if so would it just be a matter for copy/paste to the new drive?

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,558
    edited June 2021

Yes it's pretty much that simple. But as for re-opening your saved scenes, there may be broken links where DS looks in the wrong place for assets, textures and the like.

I had to buy a new PC a few months back and just plugged in my USB content library and most stuff worked fine, except for opening old scenes especially for non DS (Poser) content which was on a different SSD.

There's a few tips here.

Edit - forgot to say, after you set up your new library on an external, remember what drive letter it has been assigned. If you have to go through the process again, you should rename the new external with the same drive letter as before so when DS looks for stuff it's looking in the right drive path. This way DS "shouldn't" have broken links to old saved scenes.

Post edited by fred9803 on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,278

fred9803 said:

Yes it's pretty much that simple. But as for re-opening your saved scenes, there may be broken links where DS looks in the wrong place for assets, textures and the like.

I had to buy a new PC a few months back and just plugged in my USB content library and most stuff worked fine, except for opening old scenes especially for non DS (Poser) content which was on a different SSD.

There's a few tips here.

Edit - forgot to say, after you set up your new library on an external, remember what drive letter it has been assigned. If you have to go through the process again, you should rename the new external with the same drive letter as before so when DS looks for stuff it's looking in the right drive path. This way DS "shouldn't" have broken links to old saved scenes.

So you want him to rename the new drive to the same name as the old drive, so he won't have broken links? How many C Drive's can a computer have? I'm sorry but that Edit part of your post has me confused.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

To solve the broken links, reconnect Daz Studio and DIM (Preferences>Content Manager in Daz Studio, gear>preferences in DIM).  Merely renaming the drive won't do a thing since the user name is sort of a computer alias.

• Scene files and presets do not store absolute paths for files in a content directory, they store only the relative path. The same is true for the Content Management System. Only DIM/Daz Central store absolute locations for the files they isntalled. The relative paths should work as long as the new system has the content directories correctly set - the main potential pitfall is if the old system had one content directory inside another, in which case the relative path may include the name of the inner content directory.

Thank all of you for your great advice!!  And I am grateful that it's so detailed.

• meganappstatemeganappstate Posts: 85
    edited June 2021

Faeryl Womyn said:

fred9803 said:

I had to buy a new PC a few months back and just plugged in my USB content library and most stuff worked fine, except for opening old scenes especially for non DS (Poser) content which was on a different SSD.

There's a few tips here.

So you want him to rename the new drive to the same name as the old drive, so he won't have broken links? How many C Drive's can a computer have? I'm sorry but that Edit part of your post has me confused.

Uh ...  external drive

BHawk said:

Okay! One external drive ordered.  So the question is now, should I move the Daz content to the external drive?  And if so would it just be a matter for copy/paste to the new drive?

Post edited by meganappstate on