Why we save so often :-)

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited September 2014 in Hexagon Discussion

No work lost but did decide that I should tackle this item from a different angle.

Had made a line I then decided wasn't required. Edit > undo ... aaaahhhhh

Post edited by patience55 on

Comments

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

It's best to save and reload for heavy models after you do complex tasks, like an individual extrude on hundreds of faces or something. This way, the previous undo levels aren't stored anymore, freeing up memory. I like to set the full 100 undo levels.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Yes. I'll also pull a part of a large project out to be by itself in a separate project file for finishing off the minor details, uvmapping, etc.

Haven't got the undo set to 100 but still quite high. Doesn't make sense to me but the program crashes less if the number is higher as opposed to 10. BUT one does have to save lots, too many undos in memory isn't helpful.

Another tip somebody in the forums mentioned is good ... and that is to group and freeze parts not being actively worked on.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

May I ask what it was ?

I think I see a window in there somewhere.

Glad you saved it.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited September 2014

I would have titled it, "Why I don't use Hexagon!" :)

Post edited by 3WC on
    edited December 1969

May I ask what it was ?

I think I see a window in there somewhere.

Glad you saved it.

It's a remake of another's work, actually a very nice model just it has a lot of tris which is normal for these other [and I might add expensive] programs which don't sit well with smoothing in D/S. Was trying to remove the 3rd lines and add straight edge tessellations ... and one went wrong. So am now remaking these bridge wall units from scratch, using the original as a pattern to follow.

Eventually this one will become two walls of work stations in a Bird of Prey Bridge [ST fanart].

edited December 1969

wwes said:
    I would have titled it, "Why I don't use Hexagon!" :)

Hay! I'm skilled. I can even crash Max :-) :-) :-)