SubD 4 Render Never Shows Iterations

EDIT: ***TL;DR: Reinstalled assets to another drive off of an external usb 3.0 2 TB drive. Not sure if it matters but the new drive is local for the OS and is an m.2 ssd.***

EDIT 2:***Thought it was resolved but nope. Below I post update to what happened.***

Specs for anyone who thinks it is a vRam/Ram issue: Windows 10, 64GB ram, 2080ti, DAZ 4.12.0.84. Note that my GPU-Z never shows more than about 4GB on the 2080ti and my CPU never spikes in utilization which is a telltale sign for cpu fallback (I have experienced cpu fallback plenty and it looks much different than this in GPU-Z when it occurs). I am on 441.66 studio driver currently but as noted below it has happened since I began using DAZ in 2017 on different hardware. I doubt I will open a ticket over the issue as I have not had any issue rendering subD3 so just curious if anyone sees anything that may indicate some issue in the attached log.

So I have had this issue for as far back as I can recall with anything more than a single character and hdri backdrop. I have experienced this on every version of DAZ since I started using DAZ in the 4.10 era. It has spanned every card I have used (1080ti, Quadro P5000[16GB], 2080ti). Basically if I have a couple of HD characters in the scene, or really anything more than what I mentioned with simple hdri, the window will popup with the history and get the "rendering..." line and sit there regardless of how long I leave it (45 min one time). I have really not worried with it much as I can live with subD3 but am curious if anyone has had this issue or can make sense of the attached log (shows 1912 iterations in log at bottom even though it never showed anything in the details window and also I have Optix unchecked which my understanding is it doesn't matter anyway in 4.12.0.84). Log attached.

Small sample in case anyone doesn't want to look at log:

2019-12-23 15:36:49.562 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : The 'iray_optix_prime' scene option is no longer supported.
2019-12-23 15:36:51.362 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 01726 iterations after 19.992s.
2019-12-23 15:36:51.367 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : The 'iray_optix_prime' scene option is no longer supported.
2019-12-23 15:36:53.461 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 01912 iterations after 22.090s.
2019-12-23 15:36:53.465 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : The 'iray_optix_prime' scene option is no longer supported.
2019-12-23 15:36:54.559 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:
2019-12-23 15:36:54.559 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 2080 Ti):      1912 iterations, 0.052s init, 23.085s render

Post edited by shaneseymourstudio on

Comments

• Are you getting completed renders? 

• Are you getting completed renders? 

No, it doesn't ever seem to produce anything at all.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Tick the Optix Prime box, It doesn't do anything anymore but it will stop the Warnings in the log.

Looking at the log it is using the 2080ti but doesn't seem to be writing anything to either the window or a file.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

This has (does?) happen to me if I use SubD 4 on G3 figures. on G8 it's fine.

• Fishtales said:

Tick the Optix Prime box, It doesn't do anything anymore but it will stop the Warnings in the log.

Looking at the log it is using the 2080ti but doesn't seem to be writing anything to either the window or a file.

Yeah it is an odd issue. Sometimes even with just a single G8F set to subD4 it will render the first time, hdri background only, but on nee load of scene will hang each time after.
    SimonJM said:

This has (does?) happen to me if I use SubD 4 on G3 figures. on G8 it's fine.

Thanks for sharing that it has happened to you as well. At least I know I am not the only one.
  • The problem is likely the sheer size of the figures geometry at SubD 4 (G8f is 1 million polys). 

• I know, through some odd testing, that the eyes are part of the blame. I can zoom out and render a G8 model fine, up to 18,000x18,000px resolution.

However, zooming in to just the eyeball, I can't render a simple 10,000x10,000px image, without dropping down to CPU rendering, or a fatal Daz error, related to memory.

Daz still does funny stuff, each time. (Failing to release video-card memory, wven though it is rendering with CPU. Failing to release RAM, after rendering, without saving the rendered image first. Double-memory consumption, randomly. It consumes 30GB, then suddenly jumps up to 63+GB and then returns to 30GB to render to CPU again. When normally it would only idle with about 4-9GB in use.)

I just did an image I just happened to be doing. I set the G8 female to Sb d4 and it rendered. In saying that it took about 15 minutes to start and used all 16GB of RAM and 60+GB of virtual ram with the disc running at 100%. It finished at 2019-12-24 17:34:27.856 Total Rendering Time: 49 minutes 42.71 seconds. That is the Hover Camper with Emissive lights on, Dog 8, Dachshund and Yosemiti HDRI in the Iray dome.

hover-camper-copyright-003.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • shaneseymourstudioshaneseymourstudio Posts: 383
    edited December 2019

Well I think this may be resolved...

I decided to install a few characters, environment and few clothing items to a different drive in a new library (i've used this external drive for everything for few years) and loaded up Sydney 8 HD and just the environment and left her render subd at 4 and it rendered. Added clothes/hair and tried again rendered without hesitation and showed on GPU-Z 6.5GB utilization and RAM at around 20GB. Loaded Alexandra 8 HD and went ahead added clothes hair and rendered and no issue again. So tried the same with Darcy 8 HD and Gabriela 8 HD all with clothing/hair and in an enclosed environment and rendered without issue! GPU-Z showed 10.3GB and RAM was showing 37GB. So I suppose something may have been wrong with the sectors on that drive or reading/loading with subd4 from that drive (External usb 3.0 2tb drive). Never had any issues with it at all on subd3 though...

I will mark the thread at resolved and add anything I find further here. Thanks everyone for your input and I considered the possibility that it was out of memory, but was odd that it would not fall back to cpu, ever. It would just sit there and seemingly do nothing. Also I see what you were saying about being zoomed in on the geometry @JD_Mortal. The current test I just did was hip up on the 4 characters so not zoomed in to the face alone but want to try that next. The big leap here is getting feedback from GPU-Z and DAZ details for the rendering. At least now I should know if I am just out of vRAM.

EDIT:*Also, the successful tests that I just did were at 3840x2160, 16:9 aspect*

EDIT2:*I somehow had Sydney 8 loaded in as non hd version (noticed after rendering and skin was too smooth. Loaded her in as HD and made sure all characters were HD subD4 for render and rendered again. RAM went to 52GB and vRAM to about 10.7GB but still rendered no issues!*

Post edited by shaneseymourstudio on

I would check your log. I had a look at mine and there was a line which said that Subd 4 was too high and there would be to much geometry, or something, and Iray had dropped it to Subd 3. I can't post it as I always clear it before starting another render.

• Fishtales said:

I would check your log. I had a look at mine and there was a line which said that Subd 4 was too high and there would be to much geometry, or something, and Iray had dropped it to Subd 3. I can't post it as I always clear it before starting another render.

Very interesting, I will check that tonight.
  • Well spoke too soon...

I loaded up the scene I tested on new drive/library and it hung. So after using task manager to close out DAZ, wouldnt respond otherwise, I then reloaded the scene and removed all but Sydney 8 HD and tried to render and hung again never taking more than 4.5GB on GPU-Z and on the "rendering..." again in the details for the render. I then tried to recreate the scene from scratch but same issue. I then created a new scene with a different HD character I had not used yet (Zelara 8 HD) and it hung the same. Then I installed her on a different drive again and it rendered no problem. Closed everything then re-opened and loaded same scene from 2nd new drive/library and hung again...very weird.

• EDIT2:*I somehow had Sydney 8 loaded in as non hd version (noticed after rendering and skin was too smooth. Loaded her in as HD and made sure all characters were HD subD4 for render and rendered again.

Note that there really aren't two versions of the Sydney figure, one HD and one not. There's just one, which has the option to set the Sydney HD character morph. Loading the HD character is exactly the same as loading the non-HD character then dialling up the HD morph. IIRC the only other difference is that the HD load has the SubD dial already set up.

• This is also an issue with Subd4+ and some geografts on G8/8.1