how to illuminate the screen of a smartphone?

ToobisToobis Posts: 932

So for a scene I want a crowd of people in dark lighting where many are filming a music event on their smartphones like many do in modern times (pointless if you ask me) but I wanted to be able to have it so there is some degree of light illumination from each smartphone sceeen that is held up from the audience. How to do this please.

Comments

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648

If the phone prop has the screen as a separate surface make it emissive and plug the screen diffuse map into the emissive channel. Adjust the glow to taste.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

The mobile phone screen needs to be set as an emissive surface. Many of the available phones already have this set up by default. If not you can do it yourself in surface settings. The actual setting you use will depend on how dark/light the scene is, what colour you want the screen etc. I suggest you play with the settings in Iray preview mode.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

Like this:

Stood Up

• LucielLuciel Posts: 475

fred9803 said:

The mobile phone screen needs to be set as an emissive surface. Many of the available phones already have this set up by default. If not you can do it yourself in surface settings. The actual setting you use will depend on how dark/light the scene is, what colour you want the screen etc. I suggest you play with the settings in Iray preview mode.

Shouldn't "Two sided light" be off basically always? 

• LucielLuciel Posts: 475

Toobis said:

filming a music event on their smartphones like many do in modern times (pointless if you ask me)

I hate when people do that. Instead of enjoying the show fully and having fun they stand there recording a blurry shakey cam with terrible audio version so they can remember a show they didn't actually bother watching in a really rubbish way.. laugh 

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    Luciel said:

Toobis said:

filming a music event on their smartphones like many do in modern times (pointless if you ask me)

I hate when people do that. Instead of enjoying the show fully and having fun they stand there recording a blurry shakey cam with terrible audio version so they can remember a show they didn't actually bother watching in a really rubbish way.. laugh 

Makes more sense than the lighters at the concert, since it's not that much of a fire hazard.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825

Check the geometry of the phone if you are going to have lots of them - use wireframe drawstyle. If they have mutliple polygons, and there are mutliple copies making light, it's going to have an impact on render speed. You might want to use a single polygon parented to the phone as the light source.

• ToobisToobis Posts: 932
    Will do these ideas thx.