Daz, STOP removing Carrara items from Store!

Dear Daz

Please refrain from removing anymore Carrara items from the marketplace (aka putting them in the "vault").

I know when there have been removals before, some of us take issue with the foul deed and others (inexplicably) cheer it on. Cararra should be looked at in an entirely different way.

Carrara is a wonderful piece of software with a loyal base. We want to grow that base. While yes, it is true that Carrara can utilise products made for Daz Studio & Poser, it is very nice to have items made specifically FOR Carrara.

When a prospective buyer evaluates a piece of software, he looks at what is available for it, what it does, and so forth. Having a decent sized catalogue can be a deciding factor. Unfortunately, Carrara's catalogue is shrinking!

It is bad enough that we have lost a good many items to the "vault" in February, but I noticed excellent products like Walden Park, Venice, Orange Street, and all of Holyforest's shaders are no longer in the store. Now, I have all of these, but I want them available for new users to be able to enjoy & help us grow.

I do applaud Daz for at least letting people know about items they are taking out of the marketplace and offering them at a price that will allow people to pick them up without too much strain. I strongly urge you to cease shrinking our catalogue and hurting future potential sales.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

Carrara is just too highbrow for the Genesis 8 3D adult render market they cater for.

Hell it's almost CGsociety worthy

• mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited March 2021

Yeah I never understood, why remove stuff that people may potentially buy?  What does it cost, a bit of server storage, post it and leave it...  As a matter of fact why not encourage people to add even more stuff, one day there may be a sudden rennaisance and oh duh sorry we have nothing for that... (or we have nothing for this product we charge you for)

Post edited by mschack on

I think it might do with having to offer inactive PAs privileges.

A better option would be to just revoke those privileges if sales tank.

They unfortunately cannot discuss it but those PAs in general not just Carrara content ones, who lost their stores, were as surprised as the customers were, at least one was quite happy with their sales up until then.

Some like Dartanbeck and Fenric have kindly offered their stuff for free now but there is a treasure trove of content we have lost forever. crying

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

How do you find these items that are about to be retired?  Is there a link somewhere? 

edited March 2021

you find out too late mostly

I missed out on Wladen Park and other great sets because I never knew they would go

I hadn't needed them but falsely assumed they would be there if I did like much other stuff.

the Vault sales last week at least they gave us a heads up

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

ProPose said:

How do you find these items that are about to be retired?  Is there a link somewhere? 

the last lot soon gone hurry

https://www.daz3d.com/vault-items-galore-2 

edited March 2021

blush

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

ProPose said:

Here is the last lot of $1 items VERY soon to go! https://www.daz3d.com/vault-items-galore-1
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

tsarist said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

ProPose said:

Here is the last lot of $1 items VERY soon to go! https://www.daz3d.com/vault-items-galore-1

Thanks guys,  but I don't see too many $1 items that I'd be interested in at this time.  But , still very sad that they wont be available in the future 

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197

@WendyLuvsCatz and @tsarist - thanks for posting the links. I picked up a couple of cheapies.

For me it raises several questions: So do Daz just retire items without the artists consent? What happens to these items? i.e. Is there a growing set of 3d assets that make thier way elsewhere?

I understand that the 3d world is moving on all the time, and certain older items look very dated now. However with new promo images and possibly an upgrade on the textures they would still be very sellable in my opinion.

I'm not done with the 3 range, V3,M3,DAVID, The Girl etc. So overtime a DAZ Vault site would be large enough to attract regular sales, surely?

and yes without the artist's consent in most cases, a few have pulled their own products but that is the exception.

I don't understand it given how cheap storage is,

they could have a separate legacy store with an emphasis on Poser, Carrara, Bryce etc if they were concerned new users using DAZ studio would get upset stuff didn't work

it baffles me

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Given the amount of sales, surely they could fit in once a year vault sale ?

Managed to buy most of the retired Carrara items I was interested in but still missed a few.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited March 2021

Sci Fi Funk said:

So overtime a DAZ Vault site would be large enough to attract regular sales, surely?

Honnestly, there's little chance they would sell enough to be worth the trouble of running that site, let alone spend time updating them to modern standards rather than working on new products much more likely to generate revenue.

Market for Daz items is quite small to start with. Market for older items is even smaller, and among those you would only target people who don't already own those items...

Besides items which get vaulted are usually items which have not sold a copy in years despite having been featured in multple sales.

Post edited by Leana on
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197

@Leana - good points, and if it's not selling well that says it all. As I say things move on in quality as well (I look at some of my early purchases in 2010 and they don't stack up against todays items), but don't forget the power of the long tail - if it's long enough.

• a sign of phasing away Carrara perhaps? A decade of nothing regarding development, hiding selling items... doesn't smell good. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

and yet they pushing blender.

forum showing me a banner this morning for blender compatible sale.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,406

I got that, too. It's not looking wonderful for Carrara. Daz people already admit they're not working on it. Supposedly, they were going to put some effort into Hexagon; but that doesn't seem to be happening, either. Blender has momentum. Meanwhile, Daz says "Have this version of DS that demands ever more NVidia power" while NVidia basically has no cards to sell us. indecision

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

A good argument for buying a product even if you don't have immediate use for it.  Especially if its deeply discounted and well done.  I've only got about (mumble, mumble) of such from long ago, not yet unzipped ... but I do find uses for some in new projects.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Torquinox said:

I got that, too. It's not looking wonderful for Carrara. Daz people already admit they're not working on it. Supposedly, they were going to put some effort into Hexagon; but that doesn't seem to be happening, either. Blender has momentum. Meanwhile, Daz says "Have this version of DS that demands ever more NVidia power" while NVidia basically has no cards to sell us. indecision

Yes, the apparent abandonment of Hexagon after an initial push has me concerned enough to search for another modeler.  I am even putting effort into learning the ZModeler hard surface polygon modeler in ZBrush (different from the sculpting tools).  Fortunately, the new Blender interface appears less more friendly to my way of thinking.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,406

Diomede said:

Yes, the apparent abandonment of Hexagon after an initial push has me concerned enough to search for another modeler.  I am even putting effort into learning the ZModeler hard surface polygon modeler in ZBrush (different from the sculpting tools).  Fortunately, the new Blender interface appears less more friendly to my way of thinking.

If you already have ZBrush, you might as well use the tools in it. These days, Blender does a lot and does it well. But I'm not proselytizing. There are plenty of cool and interesting modeling programs out there. Carrara's modeler has a lot to recommend it, too.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2021
    Hey Gang

TODAY MARCH 7 LAST DAY!!!!*

The big hair sale has some Carrara Dynamic Hair on sale for $2.99 each!

These include...

Dynamic Desire Hair

Dynamic Sass Hair for V4

Dynamic Elderly Hair for V4 & M4

Dynamic Rebel Hair for V4 & M4

Sidelong Hair

Paige Hair

Crista Hair

Dynamic Venus Hair

Dynamic Edge Hair

Dynamic Romance Hair

*TODAY LAST DAY(unless they decide to extend it)!!

These items aren't being "vaulted" yet, but pick them up if you don't have them. You never know.

Post edited by tsarist on
  • MerKhrysMerKhrys Posts: 89

It seems they have started removing some of HowieFarkes Carrara products (Secret Lake, Maple Meadows, World Gardens Byodo In, Harpsburg). The 'Country Lane' series are still here (in bundles only).

I saw he has new products which look interesting ('UltraScenery') ... but they're for daz studio.

you probably have ones you own hidden, I checked and unticked and all still there.

You almost gave me a heart attack surprise

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

I was floored to see that GKDantas' store is gone now. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

this is why i roll my eyes at the season pass thing.

Mystiarra said:

this is why i roll my eyes at the season pass thing.

I almost went for it - that is, until I read what it includes: Pretty much nothing for someone like me. 

Platinum Club used to be more beneficial to me back when instead of a $6 coupon it was a $6 store credit that could acumulate. And back then prices were lower and nearly all PC items were $1.99

But when I let my PC+ membership lapse a couple years ago, I realized how much it truly saves me when I do need to grab something. 30% off DO and the occassional PC+ sales on other things make library building a Lot easier on the poor!

Still, I bet that, if they had a Lot more of their items on sale for a Lot Less $$$, they'd notice an increase in slaes/profit simply because more people can afford to put it in the cart and check out. 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I just smirked at the season pass   devil

and bought the rabbit laugh

...and I bought the Dire Wolf and a Space Suit to put him in! laugh

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited May 2021

As a certain wizard insisted, no pass.

No Pass Avatar.jpg
    600 x 600 - 217K
    Post edited by Diomede on