Lenovo Legion with RTX 2060 - should I? (solved)

tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,309

I'm sick of rendering with CPU / egpu with GTX 1050ti and need to get myself a real functional graphics card asap. My campus program is currently offering the Lenovo Legion 15' 5-15IMH with RTX 2060 and two SSDs, I could get it for about 1,400 USD. I know laptop's are not ideal, and 15' is a bit on the small side, but desktops are just unbelievable in pricing atm. Any quick ideas from you pros? Should I go for it?

Thanks and cheers!

Edit: CPU is Core i5-10300H which would be okay for me, and RAM is 16 GB right now but upgradable to 64 max.

Edit2: I'm just seeing that I could also get a 17'' version with the same GPU but better nits and better colors; CPU would be Ryzen™ 5 4600H in this case.

Gosh, I really don't have a clue what I should do ...

Post edited by tsroemi on

Comments

• Joe2018Joe2018 Posts: 232

I tried a HP Omen 15 with Geforce GTX 1660TI. But returned it after a week:

- Display Full-HD - in my eyes not enough for DAZ Studio

- Problems to switch for Render to the Nvidia Graphic (Solution: say that DAZ Studio should only use that GPU)

- 6 GB Graphic Memory - I think that would be a Problem for some Products, because they did not render. (The Logfile says "not enough graphic memory found" but talks about 0 MB. So the render switched to CPU mode. On my PC with RTX 2060 with 8 GB everything fine.)

So if a Laptop, for me it should have: 2K or up Display, 32 GB RAM, Graphic Card with 8 GB, two M.2 SSD)

NS: here (Germany) you get a new laptop with RTX 3060 (6 GB) or RTX 3070 (8 GB) between 1100 und 1400 Euro (Including 19% Sales Tax. So that me be around the same in USD without tax).

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2021

Joe2018 said:

I tried a HP Omen 15 with Geforce GTX 1660TI. But returned it after a week:

- Display Full-HD - in my eyes not enough for DAZ Studio

- Problems to switch for Render to the Nvidia Graphic (Solution: say that DAZ Studio should only use that GPU)

- 6 GB Graphic Memory - I think that would be a Problem for some Products, because they did not render. (The Logfile says "not enough graphic memory found" but talks about 0 MB. So the render switched to CPU mode. On my PC with RTX 2060 with 8 GB everything fine.)

So if a Laptop, for me it should have: 2K or up Display, 32 GB RAM, Graphic Card with 8 GB, two M.2 SSD)

NS: here (Germany) you get a new laptop with RTX 3060 (6 GB) or RTX 3070 (8 GB) between 1100 und 1400 Euro (Including 19% Sales Tax. So that me be around the same in USD without tax).

Hi, thanks for the quick reply! I'm in Germany too. Where are you seeing the laptops with RTX 3060 or 3080 for that price? - Yeah I know, FHD is a bit meh, but I'm not seeing anything affordable in QHD or UHD at the moment. I might get myself a nice external display at some point.

Post edited by tsroemi on
    edited May 2021

Acer Nitro 5 with RTX 3060 - 1.099 Euro - alternate.de - search for Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-521K

MSI GP66 Leopard with RTX 3070 - 1.499 - notebooksbilliger.de - MSI GP66 Leopard 10UG-425 (also one at alternate.de but 17 Days delivery time: MSI GP66 Leopard 10UG-264)

Take a look every day, search for "Notebook RTX 3060" etc. then you get some, most in the morning. Also at otto.de. But they maybe "sold out" if you think to long about to buy wink

And you should now: Laptops are very loud compared to a PC. 

I got this PC 3 weeks ago at Mediamarkt: The Computer i got two Weeks ago is a Lenovo Legion 5i (Intel Core i5-10400F, 2 x 8 GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB M.2 SSD, Geforce RTX 3070) for 1.399 Euro (with Tax etc.)

Post edited by Joe2018 on

Thanks again @Joe2018! Yeah I miss most of the morning offers cause I'm usually crazy busy then, not much I can do about that. Also, no fan of either Acer (VERY noisy indeed) or MSI. And for storage reasons, I'd really prefer a laptop. Will have a look at that Legion PC of yours, does sound very interesting. Are you happy with it so far? 

I am very happy with that. But I had addtional 32 GB RAM and a second M.2 SSD with 2 GB "from another Project". So "the new DAZ PC" has 48 GB RAM and the second M.2.

Rendertimes compared to the "Old System" (i7 8700K, 32 GB RAM, also 2 M.2 SSD, Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB) are over two times faster! So I am very happy with it.

At the moment the great challenge is to find out a setup for DAZ that is fast in the future: the old system has a 1,5 TB Library, loading a G8F takes about 8 Minutes. The new system has at the moment only a "basic DAZ library" and loading a G8F takes under 30 Seconds.

I'm just seeing that I can have a second ssd put into the lenovo laptop, now that would be really neat! Noise emission doesn't seem too bad either, or for rendering I'll just let it sit by itself otherwise laugh. I can also top up the RAM right away. Sooooo ... hm. I guess I'm kind of sold on it. I'll wait the night though and leave it in my cart till tomorrow. 

Joe2018 said:

Currently the PC is availabe at Mediamarkt for 1399 Euro:

LENOVO Legion Tower 5i, Gaming PC, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, GeForce RTX 3070, 8 GB | MediaMarkt

Thanks Joe! Went for the laptop still, got a second SSD of 1TB put it, and just the RTX 2060, because I really don't render massive scenes mostly. So I figure this will do for me. Will maybe post my impressions here once it has arrived. 

Just a quick update so those who may be thinking about the same (kind of) laptop will know how it turned out for me: Bought the Lenovo Legion 5 Laptop with 17' display, RTX 2060 (and hybrid on-board graphic chip), Ryzen 5 (4000s series, can't remember the exact model), a 500 GB SSD for the system and had another 1 TB drive added for my DAZ library. 16 GB RAM atm. So far, I'm really happy with the purchase. I did a test render of 2 Genesis 8 figures with clothes and hair, and it was so incredibly quick, like not even a minute I think. The fan does roar up a bit when going into rendering or Iray preview, but it's really bearable and calms down quite fast as well. The laptop stays pretty cool as well. So, not a bad machine for DAZing at all.