Problems with older products (installer doesn`t work)

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited May 2012

digitell said:
    This still isnt working for me :(..
    Now I get a pop up that says:
    'No error found in a reasonable space.
    Assuming no problems.'

after hitting the OK button on that message,
    It does create the new exe file. When I try to execute that file I get this pop up:

"This program might not have installed correctly."
    "Reinstall using recommended setting"

"This program installed correctly"

I tried choosing both choices at different times but nothing happens.

Please contact me via email: "[email protected]"

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Could a Mac person who is experiencing problems with their installers contact me via PM. I have a working Mac Fix program, but I need some info from a Maccer who is having problems before I deploy this.

Thanks
    Kendall

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

OK email sent to you Kendall

• alexandre01alexandre01 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I tried the fix file, but it still doesn't work, as well as dragonlord horse :(

• Andreas64Andreas64 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OK and an other question,

I've download Camielle for V4 and have already installed Morph++ but I can't install this. Or better I don't found it in Daz studios.
    What should I do?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

What was the exact path you installed it to? I don't know if this product has DAZ Studio-optimized material presets, which would probably be under "DAZ Studio Formats > My Library > People > Victoria 4" in the Content Library tab -- if it doesn't, there would be Poser-optimized presets in "Poser Formats > My Library > Pose".

edited May 2012

OK, Guys, Gals, and Alien type peoples...

After fighting a finicky compiler and DAZ's ever changing error messages, I think I may have a utility that will work for most of you. The preferred method for repair is still a hexeditor, but for those of you just wanting a quick fix, here ya go.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/utilities/

There is a zip file with both 32 and 64 bit exe's in there. The 32 bit should work on all systems, but I've run into at least 1 tester who needed the 64 bit version to get it to work. Also, I've had a tester who had a problem getting the 32 bit to work with Vista.

I've personally tested the exe's on W7-64, W7-32, and XP-32 environments using all of the installers that I've downloaded since the switchover.

If the utility cannot recognize the error messages in the last 64K of the exe file it will quit, but it will leave behind a file named what you selected as the new file. This is deliberate. The original installer is copied before it is analysed.

If these can help some people then it will be worth the few hours that I've put into them.

EDIT: I still haven't heard from any Mac folks.

Kendall

• Andreas64Andreas64 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've look to this folder but I can't found it. The download is an .exe datei but when I click on it nothing happens ( no read me installations screen). Maybe the the reason is Windows 7 or the 64-bit version. I've no idea.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Andreas64 :)

Check the file size of the installer,. and compare it to what the store product page says it should be.
    It's possible to get a "FAILED" download that creates the correct file icon, but will not run.

Try downloading this file again

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Camielle is probably one of the older installers that isn't working after download. I'm going to merge this with a thread on the issue, and that has a link to a little applet by Kendall Sears that will fix the file.

edited December 1969

Kendall, we've had one report from someone with a split zip containing files for a tutorial which appears to be suffering the same issue (not surprisingly, adding extra bytes to a partial zip file is bound to get in the way of suturing them back together). Would your utility be able to fix those?

edited May 2012

Kendall, we've had one report from someone with a split zip containing files for a tutorial which appears to be suffering the same issue (not surprisingly, adding extra bytes to a partial zip file is bound to get in the way of suturing them back together). Would your utility be able to fix those?

As long as the "appended" error messages are similar to what has been reported in the forums, then it won't matter what is fed to the utility. I changed the utility to be non-dependent on the file being an exe, but was not able to do as much testing as I would like before releasing it to the wild. I see no reason for it *not* to work.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Thanks

• Dr_FrankenshroomDr_Frankenshroom Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't reinstall it. I down loaded it several times and it won't reinstall ! :vampire:
    Help !

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Well, what DOES it do?

edited December 1969

I can't reinstall it. I down loaded it several times and it won't reinstall ! :vampire:
    Help !

"It" is the Dark Wing product (this is one reason not to place vital information in the subject line only). Moved to the thread on installer problems - Kendall has a tool, linked above, for the job, or you can use a hex editor

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179
    edited December 1969

The "FixDaz" utility works for me. I fixed two installers, "Tribal Huts" and "Tribal Props" by Stonemason, both the older installer types I think - I bought them in 2004. AVG found no virus in the utility download. The only quirk with the utility is that I could not type directly into either of the file name boxes, I had to use the "Browse" button. So for the output file name, I had to change it in the window that the "browse" button opens (a Windows Explorer window), since if I selected the file name to get back to the FixDaz utility, I could not change it in the file name window.

But it works, many thanks.

Probably a bad time to be working at DAZ Support, huh?

- Steve K.

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    The "FixDaz" utility works for me. I fixed two installers, "Tribal Huts" and "Tribal Props" by Stonemason, both the older installer types I think - I bought them in 2004. AVG found no virus in the utility download. The only quirk with the utility is that I could not type directly into either of the file name boxes, I had to use the "Browse" button. So for the output file name, I had to change it in the window that the "browse" button opens (a Windows Explorer window), since if I selected the file name to get back to the FixDaz utility, I could not change it in the file name window.

But it works, many thanks.

Probably a bad time to be working at DAZ Support, huh?

- Steve K.

I deliberately made the text boxes readonly. With the complexity of these installers' names, I didn't want to have to field 1 million mistype messages. Also, it will refuse to overwrite an existing file. On Purpose.

Kendall

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179
    edited December 1969

OK, sounds good. The blinking cursor in the file name box made me think I could type into it, but I understand your logic. I wanted to use the same file name for the output, with the word "FIXED" appended, so I had to do this in the window that the "Browse" button opens, before returning to the utility, as I mentioned. No problem, thanks again.

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    OK, sounds good. The blinking cursor in the file name box made me think I could type into it, but I understand your logic. I wanted to use the same file name for the output, with the word "FIXED" appended, so I had to do this in the window that the "Browse" button opens, before returning to the utility, as I mentioned. No problem, thanks again.

Yeah. I probably should have used a statictext or labeltext, but I was in a hurry when I kicked out the initial version. I wrote the first utility in about 15 minutes after Richard started getting overwhelmed with complaints in the forums. Then DAZ's error changed, and I had to go to a different method and I didn't think to change the interface.

Sorry about that, everyone.

Kendall

• Miranas ArtMiranas Art Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

I've tried the 64 Version and it worked for me. Thanks! :-)

• Dr_FrankenshroomDr_Frankenshroom Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Does anybody know where I can get it . All I see when I google it that it is a Windows utility ?

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Recently I purchased some items from the Daz store these appear to have downloaded OK. Two of the items came with the later type of installers, bitrock and the one which followed, these items installed just fine,no problems. However the other 2 items had the earlier type of installers and these will not open and install. I have downloaded again but still get the same problem.

Has anyone else had issues with earlier installers, or have any thoughts on how to fix it??????

Cheers
    GG

edited December 1969

Does anybody know where I can get it . All I see when I google it that it is a Windows utility ?

Assuming you were asking about Kendall's utility, I've added this to the thread on the issue - it's hard to answer questions that lack the salient information.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Should have added the 2 problem files are," ps_ac1886bAlluraHair" and " ps_ac1990b_MidnightLace"

GG

• EpithumiaEpithumia Posts: 4
    edited May 2012

Post edited by Epithumia on
  • T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited May 2012

Cool! Thanks Kendall.

I took the liberty of posting about this in a Rendo thread about the same subject. Linked back to here.

There's probably a thread over at RDNA, too. Anybody registered to post at their forum? Edit: Huh, I don't see one. Not a lot of Daz shoppers there, I take it. ;-) Or maybe anything, other than nuts-and-bolts, is off topic, in that forum.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • flennon_d019034395flennon_d019034395 Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Hi,

back again with more problems :( I my latest order I bought M3 Casual Clothes and the Preschool Morphs for Luke and Laura.
    They download but when I click on the .exe files to run the jobs nothing happens. The other item I bought did run. I have tired re-downloading the files but this has not fixed it. Has anyone had a similar experience and found a way around it?

Thanks.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

This is a known problem. You can download a small program to fix the .exe's here: http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/utilities/FixDaz.zip.html