3delight NSI

I would like to now if 3delight NSI will have support.
I'm blocked with i-display 12.5.9 from 2017. I would like to use the newer NSI version.
3delight website is not giving anymore the last working version (12.5.9) for download.

Comments

• I believe the issue with updating the version included with DS is that it is the last that supports RSL, so a new 3Delight version would entail a complete rewrite of all shaders and a redo of all materials.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

I believe the issue with updating the version included with DS is that it is the last that supports RSL, so a new 3Delight version would entail a complete rewrite of all shaders and a redo of all materials.

I believe an RSL to OSL conversion script would be a pretty basic one to make, and probably would yield far more accurate results than the IRay to 3DL scripts.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • astucemanastuceman Posts: 13

To bad ...

I would like to use it as a second option to Iray.

If I'm right, NSI use opengl or opencl. That mean using graphic card to render scene. That not the case with today renders.

edited April 2021

astuceman said:

To bad ...

I would like to use it as a second option to Iray.

If I'm right, NSI use opengl or opencl. That mean using graphic card to render scene. That not the case with today renders.

No, it's  still CPU only. In my opinion the scripted rendering utilising the built in 3DLpathtracer is a good alternative to IRay, if you want to do it from inside DS (or using the standalone renderer). You need to use shaders and lights that are compatible but they are free (as is the script). It won't be as fast as IRay on GPU but atleast 4 times faster than IRay/CPU.

AWE Shading Kit (scripts, shader presets, lights etc)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i3P5yVxiS4wZzhdZu6FeLNuiNuIPOAVe/view?usp=sharing

AWE Surface(physically plausible shader for skin, metals, glass and dielectrics)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/154hmnGLi6xBC1Qrx3IJVnukVnfZgiCSr/view?usp=sharing

AWE Hair(hair shader using the 3DL hair specular BRDF)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TY3k9Gn27ssEnsNqDoB2EhPViJU0jAFl/view?usp=sharing

You'll need to install all three zips, they are DIM compatible. They will work for 3DL 11 and 3DL12, the hairshader works better in v12.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Richard Haseltine said:

I believe the issue with updating the version included with DS is that it is the last that supports RSL,

Nope, the latest RSL-compatible build was 12.5.9 released in late 2017, while DS to this day comes bundled with 12.0.27 from 2015. Which is quite frustrating. The last version did include quite a few quality-of-life advantages, pathtracer-wise.

Sven Dullah said:

I believe an RSL to OSL conversion script would be a pretty basic one to make, and probably would yield far more accurate results than the IRay to 3DL scripts.

Sven, how about someone would need to handle the actual OSL shading code and all the related scripting first? See, even if the DNA guys allowed DAZ to use their (beautiful) OSL shaders from the current 3Delight Maya/Houdini/Katana/etc kits, there's still quite a lot of work to be done integrating these into the DS ecosystem. And of course the actual NSI exporter would need to be written. All these investments for what return? If DAZ had wanted to use 3Delight pathtracing, they could've done it in 2015... as-is, they decided to go with Iray for whatever reason. 

And - unless you're talking "RSL" as in "physically plausible pathtracing", which means either Wowie's or my systems - any "conversion script" would likely produce rather quirky results when rendered, the oldschool materials (which the store "3Delight mats" consist of) being what they are. 

edited May 2021

Mustakettu85 said:

Sven Dullah said:

Sven, how about someone would need to handle the actual OSL shading code and all the related scripting first? See, even if the DNA guys allowed DAZ to use their (beautiful) OSL shaders from the current 3Delight Maya/Houdini/Katana/etc kits, there's still quite a lot of work to be done integrating these into the DS ecosystem. And of course the actual NSI exporter would need to be written. All these investments for what return? If DAZ had wanted to use 3Delight pathtracing, they could've done it in 2015... as-is, they decided to go with Iray for whatever reason. 

So I stand corrected then. Was a moot point anyway. As for the decicion to go with IRay...money (pure speculation on my part)...

And - unless you're talking "RSL" as in "physically plausible pathtracing", which means either Wowie's or my systems - any "conversion script" would likely produce rather quirky results when rendered, the oldschool materials (which the store "3Delight mats" consist of) being what they are. 

Heheh you said it yourself, converting would certainly not make things much worse for sure:)) To be honest, without you and Wowie I would have left the DS eco system long ago...still thinking more and more about Maya/3DL with all the bells and whistles (OSL,USD etc). I don't trust DAZ with my money anymore but I have a rather extensive library. I feel Maya and the likes are still out of my price range, but maybe some day...

edited May 2021
    We'll never know why, I guess... NVIDIA appeared to be pushing Iray kinda actively back then, like getting the then-Allegorithmic folks to bundle it with Substance Painter.

Maya... in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want a job in the industry. On a consumer-grade machine, it's a buggy, clumsy mess. Houdini is more interesting to work with and much more stable in my experience. And Apprentice subscription is way cheaper than Maya - Wowie says external renderers work with it fine.

You can get a "render studio" with 3Delight NSI for free via compiling USD with HydraNSI injection (cumbersome on Windows, I haven't finished it yet - not sure about Mac), or via Gaffer (Linux only). You'd need that Alembic exporter for DS as well, or go the Blender - USD route.

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on

Mustakettu85 said:

We'll never know why, I guess... NVIDIA appeared to be pushing Iray kinda actively back then, like getting the then-Allegorithmic folks to bundle it with Substance Painter.

Maya... in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want a job in the industry. On a consumer-grade machine, it's a buggy, clumsy mess. Houdini is more interesting to work with and much more stable in my experience. And Apprentice subscription is way cheaper than Maya - Wowie says external renderers work with it fine.

You can get a "render studio" with 3Delight NSI for free via compiling USD with HydraNSI injection (cumbersome on Windows, I haven't finished it yet - not sure about Mac), or via Gaffer (Linux only). You'd need that Alembic exporter for DS as well, or go the Blender - USD route.

Tks, will do some research!

• astucemanastuceman Posts: 13

After a quick search I found this : https://gitlab.com/3Delight/HydraNSI

It's look interesting. But I don't have time anymore twinquering with many software and parameter. =(

^That's what I was talking about in my previous post. Doable, but involves major jumping through hoops.