Export Object Issues in Bryce 7.1

aZtOcKdOgaZtOcKdOg Posts: 3
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi,

I am experiencing difficulties in exporting an .obj object in Bryce 7.1

I created a a design made up of a group of primitives (cubes) and made sure to make all objects in the group attributes set to positive, after grouping I then 'Collapse' so that the 'Export Object' option becomes available in the File menu.

But upon importing that object into other software there are sides missing, a couple of cubes have turned into triangle type shapes etc...

Even a simple single cube on it's own when exported seems to be missing sides when I import into another software to use.

I am unsure of any extra steps before exporting an object... if there are any...

Thanks in advance for any help, I am in the beginning stages of pre-production on a short film and really hoped Bryce would play a part in the process!

-Adam

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I created a a design made up of a group of primitives (cubes) and made sure to make all objects in the group attributes set to positive, after grouping I then 'Collapse' so that the 'Export Object' option becomes available in the File menu.

But upon importing that object into other software there are sides missing, a couple of cubes have turned into triangle type shapes etc...

Even a simple single cube on it's own when exported seems to be missing sides when I import into another software to use.

I am unsure of any extra steps before exporting an object... if there are any...

Thanks in advance for any help, I am in the beginning stages of pre-production on a short film and really hoped Bryce would play a part in the process!

-Adam

Can you please upload some screen shots of your issue? The more info we have the better we can address the problem.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding and telling you something you already know, but you have to select each individual component and make it positive BEFORE grouping them all together.

Hope this helps.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2014

Hi,

-Adam

Unless you have any compelling reason to use Bryce in this way. I would recommend, for the sake of expediency, using something like Wings3D instead for modeling your objects. Of course there is a the slight overhead of learning a new interface but really it is a much more reliable and powerful modeling tool that Bryce.

So OK you asked about Bryce and it seems rather bad for me to not address that directly. The "Collapse" function is not entirely 100% reliable, you may not have done anything wrong to get these results. As I understand it the default primitives in Bryce don't exist as mesh objects in the same way as a obj mesh object, they are generated so as to be mathematically perfect objects, so when you perform a "Collapse" a degree of approximation has to take place, and this take the form of using the wireframe mesh place holders instead of the primitives you've modeled with (up to a certain mesh level limit - which you can adjust to a degree by altering the way the wireframe mesh displays in the default wireframe view).

Even once converted though, Bryce displays the original primitives and hides the geometry you have generated (other than in the default wireframe view - but even then, you would struggle to interpret what has been made because default wireframe does not fill in the faces)
    . So you don't really have a true guide as to what the results of your conversion might be until you export it. Which means, it is possible to have something that renders fine in Bryce but is really quite broken in .obj geometry.

Therefore... Wings3D - which is free. http://www.wings3d.com/

If you show me the design you created in Bryce with your cubes I would be happy to do you a short guide on how you could recreate it using Wings. Oh I suppose the other thing to note is that Bryce doesn't know anything about structuring geometry so it renders correctly, so even if you do manage to export your model it would probably need further attention if you want it to look anything like you envisage in whatever software you import it into for final rendering.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

@David-thanks for the link and info about wings 3D ...i might have a look at that myself just for a bit of fun :) ...i have seen your extensive collection of tutorials about wing's, so i will start from there and see what i can come up with :)

• aZtOcKdOgaZtOcKdOg Posts: 3
    edited August 2019

Rashad Carter said:

Can you please upload some screen shots of your issue? The more info we have the better we can address the problem.

Hi Rashad, I have attached some screenshots of what I am experiencing :)

TheSavage64 said:

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding and telling you something you already know, but you have to select each individual component and make it positive BEFORE grouping them all together.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, yeah I have been doing that (after reading many a guide online!)

Unless you have any compelling reason to use Bryce in this way. I would recommend, for the sake of expediency, using something like Wings3D instead for modeling your objects. Of course there is a the slight overhead of learning a new interface but really it is a much more reliable and powerful modeling tool that Bryce.

So OK you asked about Bryce and it seems rather bad for me to not address that directly. The "Collapse" function is not entirely 100% reliable, you may not have done anything wrong to get these results. As I understand it the default primitives in Bryce don't exist as mesh objects in the same way as a obj mesh object, they are generated so as to be mathematically perfect objects, so when you perform a "Collapse" a degree of approximation has to take place, and this take the form of using the wireframe mesh place holders instead of the primitives you've modeled with (up to a certain mesh level limit - which you can adjust to a degree by altering the way the wireframe mesh displays in the default wireframe view).

Even once converted though, Bryce displays the original primitives and hides the geometry you have generated (other than in the default wireframe view - but even then, you would struggle to interpret what has been made because default wireframe does not fill in the faces)
    . So you don't really have a true guide as to what the results of your conversion might be until you export it. Which means, it is possible to have something that renders fine in Bryce but is really quite broken in .obj geometry.

Therefore... Wings3D - which is free. http://www.wings3d.com/

If you show me the design you created in Bryce with your cubes I would be happy to do you a short guide on how you could recreate it using Wings. Oh I suppose the other thing to note is that Bryce doesn't know anything about structuring geometry so it renders correctly, so even if you do manage to export your model it would probably need further attention if you want it to look anything like you envisage in whatever software you import it into for final rendering.

Thanks for the in depth reply David! I appreciate you taking the time and I think I will have to use your advice and model in another program, I am going to check out Wings3D that you have suggested (I have also embarked on the Blender journey as of yesterday too)

I have also attached a screenshot of the model I was creating in Bryce (one of the many I plan to do... not all space invaders btw lol)

Thanks for the help guys!

tlu-space-invaders-v1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 71K
    bryce71-obj-element3d.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 356K
    bryce71-obj-blender.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 257K
    Post edited by aZtOcKdOg on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040
    edited August 2014

Removed as not relevant :-)

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969
    Space_invader1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 184K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Thanks David for another Wings tut, ;)

edited December 1969

Wow! So grateful that you have shared your experience / knowledge in an awesome video! I will definitely give Wings3D a go and let you guys know some progress :)

Thanks again David (and everyone for your input)

Btw the third screenshot (render) is the Bryce version of my model design

edited September 2014

Cool, well today I had some time to play around with Wings3D, Bryce and After Effects so I have attached the result of my first attempt!

A quick note: For consistency between the various space invader characters I decided to use a numeric input for the bevel and shell extrude steps in the modelling (by hitting the TAB key)

Thanks so much for your input David it was a great tutorial- I will be sure to give you a shout out in the credits mate ;)

Cheers,

Adam

Space_Invaders_TEST_(0-00-00-00).jpg
    512 x 384 - 189K
    Post edited by aZtOcKdOg on
  • MiraaMiraa Posts: 13

I have the same issues. I use DAZ and bryce.

I can't export to obj file. I don't if 3dmax would be a help regarding this matter.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949

_also Hexagon_

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited August 2019

Hi Miraa

I export a lot Daz3D characters from Daz3D to Bryce using OBJ format and seldom have an issue. I select "Export", select directory where to store, give an appropriate file name and select OBJ as file type. Then the following dialog appears

Export Dialog of Daz3D

You can select "Bryce" from the "Convert From DazStudio to" list, but I recommend to change the option "Convert Maps (for Bryce) to "Original Maps", for with the convert option I often faced broken textures, especially in the transparent maps.

Hope this helps.

Exportdialog.jpg
    449 x 506 - 77K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Just passing by to say that seeing Space Invader model brought smile to my face.

Cheers, and good luck with making things work!