Freebie 'Spring Thing'

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,062
edited April 2021 in Freebies

Don't know what to call this other than a 'Spring Thing'. It's a mad idea that came to me and may be useful if you have a similar mad idea. It's a prop consisting of two boards with a spring between. I added three quick and dirty morphs to compress the spring and bend it relative to the bottom board. The morphs should probably be restricted to 400% or less. For an idea how to use the spring thing, take a look here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6671831/#Comment_6671831

If you need to fit it to someone's feet, the easiest way to do it will be to rotate the 'Spring Thing' by 180 degrees about the Z axis, put the character with legs and feet straight down, then translate the 'Spring Thing' to the sole of the characters foot/shoe and then parent the prop to the foot. Now you can pose the person. It's much easier than posing the figure and then trying to fit the 'Spring Thing'to the foot.

From left to right, default position, compressed 100%, rotated about X 100%, rotated about Z 100%. The rotation morphs are 2.5 degrees, while the compression morph is 3cm. The spring is 30cm long, 16 cm external diameter with 1cm diameter wire. The boards are 2cm thick, 34cm long and 18cm wide. There are 16624 facets, 9750 Vertices and two material zones. The boards are texture mapped using a very simple 'Current View Orientation' mapping in three different orientations. The spring relies simply on the metallic shader for its look. Two maps are included, the wood diffuse map and the wood displacement/bump map. The maps may already be present on your machine if you have my Rigged Wall and Door Prop.

Hope it's useful,

Regards

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,294

LOL looks like I could have a lot of fun with this.

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Awesome!  Thank you for sharing!  laugh

• Oh these could have many uses! Thank you :-)

• It's a pleasure to see you again Catherine.

Thank you all for your comments. But please be aware that when I say "Quick and Dirty" for the morphs, I do mean it. For the compression morph I scaled the spring by 90% in the Y axis, making the wire cross section a little oval, then moved the top board down to meet the spring.

The rotation morphs were made by selecting the vertices in the top board, spring and top face of the lower board and rotating 2.5° about the origin, meaning the lower board distorts a bit rather than the spring. Nothing more sophisticated than that.

Anyway, I do hope they are useful for daft little jobs.

Regards

Richard.

• ShadowBox24ShadowBox24 Posts: 184

Thanx U

• richardandtracy said:

It's a pleasure to see you again Catherine.

Thank you all for your comments. But please be aware that when I say "Quick and Dirty" for the morphs, I do mean it. For the compression morph I scaled the spring by 90% in the Y axis, making the wire cross section a little oval, then moved the top board down to meet the spring.

The rotation morphs were made by selecting the vertices in the top board, spring and top face of the lower board and rotating 2.5° about the origin, meaning the lower board distorts a bit rather than the spring. Nothing more sophisticated than that.

Anyway, I do hope they are useful for daft little jobs.

Regards

Richard.

Thank you. It was my decision to take a little time off for abit, starting to work my way back into things. Just have to take things slow. Started off the spring season spraining [?] my foot, so have lots of time to watch movies for awhile lol ... going through the Poirot series, free on Youtube :-) 

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,013
    edited April 2021

Just a quick render, Making "Big Foot" footprints ;-)

Making more Big Foot prints.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Oh dear, what have I started?

I like the idea of bigfoot actually being a spoof. Here in the UK for many uears there was a lot of kerfuffle about crop circles, where crops had been flattened in mysterious geometric shapes that appeared overnight, and over the years they got more & more complex. There was a lot of New Age speculation about alien landings etc. Then a few years ago an elderly couple went to the media & admitted it had been them, and after 35 years or so they were now getting too old & creaky to keep everyone entertained anymore. I think it came as a huge disappointment to the crop circle speculation industry, not that it'll stop them dreaming up ever more fanciful 'explanations' because there is a hard core of people who want to believe thay are real.

Regards,

Richard.

• ShadowBox24ShadowBox24 Posts: 184

Catherine3678ab said:

I love that Cathrine3678ab is keeping the weight of her feet.....LOLwink

Hope your feeling much better!

• richardandtracy said:

Oh dear, what have I started?

I like the idea of bigfoot actually being a spoof. Here in the UK for many uears there was a lot of kerfuffle about crop circles, where crops had been flattened in mysterious geometric shapes that appeared overnight, and over the years they got more & more complex. There was a lot of New Age speculation about alien landings etc. Then a few years ago an elderly couple went to the media & admitted it had been them, and after 35 years or so they were now getting too old & creaky to keep everyone entertained anymore. I think it came as a huge disappointment to the crop circle speculation industry, not that it'll stop them dreaming up ever more fanciful 'explanations' because there is a hard core of people who want to believe thay are real.

Regards,

Richard.

Well I rather doubt that they made "all" the crop circles in the world. We've had some dandies over here in Canada too. I don't recall which country [USA or Canada] but allegedly a photo was taken of alien craft hoovering over some fields which the next day then had crop circles on them. n.b. the term "alien craft" should be understood as "we don't know whose funny looking plane this is" same as "ufo" simply means "we have not identified what this flying object is" ... nothing to lose sleep over ;-)

Big Foot trails are fun things [as long as one doesn't encounter the walker lol ...] ... from the videos I've seen posted, they are suspiciously short trails and some end mid-stride in the middle of nowhere. Like, where did it go? Useful fodder for teaching safe hiking through the deep woods practices, never go alone ;-)

• ShadowBox24 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

I love that Cathrine3678ab is keeping the weight of her feet.....LOLwink

Hope your feeling much better!

Thank you :-)

Going hour by hour, some are better than others. The hour today in which a bunch of bones moved around in my foot was a rather dubious type of hour. I was doing NOTHING. Even the person I was talking to noticed it. Weird. Bones going on their own walk lol ...