Making holes

Hello,

I am trying to make circular holes in plate that is not flat. I am doing it using boolean operation. The process is successful but the result is horrible! I need good result in DAZ Studio but when I load the result to DAZ the result is even worse. I tried to do the boolean operation in 3DS MAX and load the result to DAZ, but the result is also not good. I also tried to use "Smooting=2" for plate but it hepled only little. Any suggestion how to do it with better result?

This is source (two objects: plate and cylinders for making holes):

This is result in Hexagon (problems are marked with red):

This is result in DAZ:

This is result in DAZ from boolean made in 3DS MAX:

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2021

Tried Boolean once, did not like it so learnt to do it manually. Jonny Bravo did a tutorial on the process a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RboGM7CPJUo&ab_channel=johnnybevo

You can also use the Extrude surface tool.

EXTRUDE SURFACE01.jpg
    1914 x 1038 - 600K
    EXTRUDE SURFACE02.jpg
    1914 x 1038 - 253K
    EXTRUDE SURFACE03.jpg
    1914 x 1038 - 262K
    EXTRUDE SURFACE04.jpg
    1914 x 1038 - 645K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

m_pohanka_6db953ed73 said:

Hello,

I am trying to make circular holes in plate that is not flat. I am doing it using boolean operation. The process is successful but the result is horrible!

Yes. It's booleans. That is to be expected.

Start with the holes and model out from them to get decent results.

• atoxicatoxic Posts: 130

The problem with DAZ with the holes seems to similar to the probem DS has to interpret 3d-Text modelled in Hexagon.
    For the 3d-Text there is a solution so that DS shows the letters like they were intended in Hex: Use Decimate on the letters.
    The resulting subdivision of the mesh stabilizes how DS reads the model and gives (at least for the letters) an aceptable result.

Nice Days and Nice Renders

atoxic

• Thank you for the suggestions. I used the suggested YouTube video. I have prepared two inserts (one for front side and one for back side) with good hole similar to that in video and put them in required place. Then I have deleted faces in the main object where the inserts were prepared (I have made holes for the inserts). I have merged it with the main object and welded using vertex welding (6 vertices in my case). I have bridged the hole (fron and back side) at the end. It is painfull and slow but it works and result is very good.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Very interesting geometry in that last image.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2021

Sorry M_Pohanka, I think you are going to run into problems if you do it that way. Try it this way - copy and paste the curve taken from the mesh, this tells you how many points you need for the circle.

Edit to add, this is basically the same way Jonny did it in the above video. 

hole1.jpg
    1914 x 1038 - 615K
    hole2.jpg
    1914 x 1038 - 747K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Wee Dangerous John said:

Sorry M_Pohanka, I think you are going to run into problems if you do it that way. Try it this way - copy and paste the curve taken from the mesh, this tells you how many points you need for the circle.

Thank you for suggestion, but the hole would be too coarse.  I wanted finer circle.

• m_pohanka_6db953ed73 said:

Wee Dangerous John said:

Thank you for suggestion, but the hole would be too coarse.  I wanted finer circle.

Try it. Then add smoothing. 

• As Catherine36778ab rightly says, just add smoothing. You can also smooth things in Daz Studio, this is the same hole (with add tess's ti help keep the shape) saved as an obj and smoothing added in DS.
    hole-ds.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 629K