Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Let's try to get you there
    http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation

or (copied from one of Gone's messages):

The installer only installs 2 files garibaldiplugin.dll in the plugins folder and garibaldishader.sdl in the shaders folder.

When you install, you need to point the installer to the folder with the dazstudio.exe file - not to the content folder. Alternatively, you can install the files to a temp folder and then manually move the files to the correct folders. If you’ve run the installer and garibaldi is not in the plugin list, do a search for the 2 files in the path you set for the installer and move them to the correct locations.

edited December 1969

LOL crossposting with Gone in exactly the same minute.

• DarkStarr42DarkStarr42 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Uninstalled and re-installed for the 13th time and still nothing. Kerya I see on the installation instructions that you linked above that something was fixed in 1.1 installer, my account has 15878_GaribaldiExpress-64bit-1_0-Setup.exe

edited December 1969

Ok I think I have the problem understood if not solved anyway. I reverted to an older version of Daz 4.6.0.18 Pro and the install worked like a charm. My original Daz that would not let me install was ver. 4.6.3.52 Pro not sure what was going on with that but I know I can install to an older ver.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited July 2014

That sounds very odd.

Worst case scenario is that you install to a temp folder then move the files to the correct location.

The only reason I can think of for not installing properly is that you have DS installed in the C:\Program Files folder and you are trying to install without admin privileges - or you have a mismatched version 64 bit vs 32 bit.

Like most things DS, you need to have DS closed when you install. If you have more than one version of DS installed (like the beta and a stable release) you would need to install twice - once for each app location.

Post edited by Gone on
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys now I have in the new version on the 16th try LOL, now to learn how to use it. Thanks Again

• EmotionalOutlet3DEmotionalOutlet3D Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

I had a similar problem but after reading the installation wiki fixed it. It is usually a matter of installing in the correct folder. If you are using Windows the folder you need to put it in is C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4. DIM doesn't seem to install it correctly all the time. The full installation wiki is at http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation. Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

Just to be clear, that folder is only valid if you use the default install path.

Personally, I never install anything to the Program Files folder if it can be avoided. In fact, the only reason DS is even on my C: drive is because it was the only drive I had when I first installed DS back in the version 1 days and I'm too lazy to move it. :)

My content is on a different drive because that was just a matter of moving the content folder and pointing DS to the new path.

edited December 1969

For me Gone no that was not the case I don't have DAZ on my c: I use and ext. drive. What I did was after it installed on the older vers of daz I just did a cut and past move of my current ver. of daz to new folder manually installing to that folder and it worked after that. Still goofy that is didn't work in the other folder that I was using daz in. Must of had something off that changed when I cut and pasted to another folder.

edited December 1969

So, it turns out I actually have the mill dog starter pack - it just wasn't installed to the same place as my other animals. Oops.:red:

Anyway......

Puddle.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 288K
    edited December 1969

Stupid question of the day ... I gave Gobbles some hair and saved it as wearable preset ... I know how to save that as a backup, but where are the distribution maps saved?
    So I can make backups of those too?

edited December 1969

All maps used in Garibaldi are saved in the .duf file.

If the maps were created in the Garibaldi editor, they are automatically a part of the hair file - there are no separate texture/distribution files.

If you imported them, they are translated for proper use and saved as part of the hair file. Your import folder can then be deleted or kept as a backup but it is not used in any scene or wearable you create.

With Garibaldi, any hair you create and save as a wearable will have everything saved it the single .duf file. There are no calls to texture folders.

I have several distribution maps I've created for quick import to a new build. Those are stored in a folder and called as needed - but they are only needed for the initial import. Since the call is made through the standard OS search feature, you can create these folders anywhere on your system. Just remember that the call is made to the folder and not to a file name.

edited December 1969

Thank you very much! My backups are going to work ... :)

Next question: how do I use the symmetry when painting?
    I found the dropdown menu, but when I paint, I can only see the one side I am painting on getting white. When distributing hair it's still on one side.

edited December 1969

Texture U is left/right symmetry. Texture V is top/bottom symmetry.

Symmetry painting is going to be dependent on the UV map for the model.

Some of the old models only mapped one side of the model and then flipped it for the texture. Some models have weird UV maps so that when you paint the side of the head, the symmetry is painting the back! And some maps are not fully symmetrical so the painting is not quite the same from one side to the other.

Most of the models I've painted don't have a problem but I have run into all of the above situations. How you deal with it is going to depend on what you want the final map to look like. Worst case scenario is you have to turn off symmetry. :(

If the UV map is good and you have the correct symmetry selection, then, as you paint one side of the model, you should see the opposite side being painted automatically.

GaribaldiPaint.jpg
    940 x 972 - 312K
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your patience!
    Methinks Gobbles is a little bit older ... LOL Release Date: 2003-01-07

edited December 1969

No problem. I hope you plan to show us your masterpiece when it is done. :-)

I just wanted to clarify that a texture map is not the same thing as a UV map.

As an example, lets say you have a character split into the following material zones: body, limbs, eyes, teeth, inner mouth.

It's not uncommon to lay out all the zones on a single UV map - especially for freebies or older models. Typically, in such a map, the body zone will be pushed as far as possible to one corner of the map - say the top left - in order to provide as much space as possible for the other zones to be placed on the map.

As far as a texture map is concerned, this is no big deal - but it means that the UV map as a whole is not symmetrical! Therefore, it can't be used for symmetrical painting.

If the map is laid out so that the skin is centered and the limbs and eyes are placed in symmetrically opposite positions on the map, then it can be used for symmetry painting. Of course, it's much more difficult to lay out the UV map this way to get everything lined up properly so you probably won't find many maps with multiple zones laid out properly for symmetry painting.

edited December 1969

Gone said:

It's not uncommon to lay out all the zones on a single UV map - especially for freebies or older models. Typically, in such a map, the body zone will be pushed as far as possible to one corner of the map - say the top left - in order to provide as much space as possible for the other zones to be placed on the map......

I looked at Gobbles map - you are right! Everything is on one map, so no symmetry. Duh!
    Thank you!

(And yes, I will show my picture - after I won my fight with light - LOL)

edited December 1969

Well, it's been almost a month since I posted the dog so......

CritterMeetsGirl.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 426K
    edited December 1969

Aaaaaaw! Cuteness!

edited December 1969

OK, here is my Gobbles

Defenders of the Castle

I know, usually it is the lady that is scantily clad in fantasy pictures - I went the other way round ... LOL
    Gobbles is safe with those two! :)
    Rendered in DS4.6

Credits:
    Victoria 6, Genesis 2 Female morphs, Teen Josie 6 - Daz3d
    Character created and shared by MindVision G.D.S.
    Mec4D The Vampire Huntress for Genesis 2 Female(s) - Mec4D
    (Dforms on the hair)

Lee 6 - Daz3d
    Mec4D The Spartan for Genesis 2 Male(s) - Mec4D
    Arcane Archery - Valandar

Gobbles - Daz3d
    Garibaldi Express Hair System For DAZ Studio - futurebiscuit
    Subsurface Gummy & Plastic Shaders - Age of Armour

Songbird Remix Woodland Jewels - Ken Gilliland

Worlds Of Fantasy : Island Castle - Stonemason
    Worlds Of Fantasy : Medieval House - Stonemason

DefendersOfTheCastle.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 305K
    edited December 1969

Nice image - but Gobbles is so small! :-) Hair looks pretty good though.

Any chance of Gobbles standing for a portrait?

edited August 2014

Gone said:
    Nice image - but Gobbles is so small! :-) Hair looks pretty good though.

Any chance of Gobbles standing for a portrait?

He is shy ... ;)

Edited to add: do you know this rendering error message?
    3Delight message #41 (Severity 1): P2395: parameter 'shadeType' of shader 'garibaldiShader' must be declared

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

I wrote a longer message and the forum ate it ...
    Anyway:
    I told him that the lady would shoot me with her crossbow if I tried something funny, so he let me come nearer with my camera ... ;)

(Showing the inefficiencies of my hair styling - LOL - but it worked at a distance)

DefendersOfTheCastleGobbles.jpg
    700 x 700 - 163K
    edited December 1969

The error message is new. The first time I saw it was with the .3.52 build - but it may have been earlier since I skipped a couple of upgrades. It's like the shadermixer messages. I think I read somewhere that these messages have something to do with compiling mismatches. In any case, severity 1 errors can be ignored as they don't affect the render.

I don't know what kind of look you were going for but Gobbles looks pretty good. It looks like the hair may be a bit flattened on the forearm, but, overall, he looks good.

Now, let's see some more hair creations! :-)

edited December 1969

I did go for the longhaired teddy bear look - that far I succeeded.
    Believe me - I fluffed the hair on the forearm again and again ... but it resisted ... it may be the pose.
    And of course there is one hair in front of the mouth where I couldn't track down the source.

edited December 1969

I don't know what you tried so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.

For the arm, I would move it to a neutral position so it can be accessed without the body behind it. Use the base select tool to select the guides on the forearm between elbow and wrist, then use negative values on the surface attract/curl tools to pull the hair up from the mesh. Then you can move the arm back into position.

Stray hairs can always be a pain to track but, at first look, this appears to be an autopart issue with the guides under the nose. Playing with the autopart value or switching from smooth to linear interpolation may take care of it. Sometimes, turning on show hair in the style pane can help you trace back where the stray is coming from.

In any case, he still looks good - even if you are hiding him. :lol:

• ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Just popping in to say -- Kerya, I know you're criticizing many aspects of your Gobbles' hair, but I really like the way it came out. He looks scruffy and scraggly, like a scrappy little critter. Nice work!

--MW

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    I don't know what you tried so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.

I am always forgiving you, especally as you are so helpful and nice!
    I saved your answer to a text file and will try next weekend.

Thank you MW! :)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2014

Been long time since I posted a baldi render creation. SO here's something I been working on for quite a while.
    I found fur to be rather complicated, I cant tell you how important it is to fur in bits and pieces, it seemed quite overwhelming to begin with. I made use of selection lists ALLOT and worked on smaller areas one at a time. Sectioning them off and naming them beard styles, such as "Chops" "SoulPatch" "Goatee" "Mustache" etc. Its a shame there isn't a gradual extrude tool or soft selection feature as it would have been real handy. Same with un-select from the selection list leaving the remainder selected. Awe man if there was a symmetrical option for curve styling, damn that would be useful for fur too (Ok, I'm dreaming now, but still lol)

Anyway I furred only what I needed too, and with this character, I have no intentions yet as to render him without his amour so I only furred the head, tail and hands. I also made Garibaldi eyelashes and whiskers, the lashes will not be all that noticeable with the fur anyway, but he has them. Clumping was very difficult I found as the hair varies so much in length, I created clumping textures to mask it some, but it still had to be light touch else the shorter hairs would look far too jagged.

I used two sets of colour textures one for the roots and one for the tips. The tips of the fur uses a diffuse texture with war paint, something Ive long wanted to put to the test. For accuracy If I re did it, I would offset some of the war paint where the hair is longer, but all in all I'm satisfied with how it turned out, especially a first go at fur lol

And thanks Gone for the tips you've provided on fur, was quite handy and full of great tricks :)

Khajiit_Portrait_SpyroRue.png
    1000 x 1250 - 1M
    TR_Khajiit_Fur_SpyroRue.png
    640 x 800 - 819K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Impressive!

I don't think I would have the patience to do something like that in one node (lashes and whiskers notwithstanding). Maybe I should give it a try just to see if it really will drive me crazy! :lol:

If you are going to keep making stuff this impressive, your absence is forgiven. :-)%-P