Hexagon models will not take DAZ 4.6 shaders

TeezTeez Posts: 16
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out... I'm exporting my models in OBJ format with and without UV maps and it always ends with the same results.. whenever I apply a shader to the model in DAZ3D, ony the base color of the shader renders.. For instance, if I use a terracotta brick wall shader, it renders as a smooth terracotta colored wall. I've tried the same shaders on DAZ primitives and they look like they're supposed to.. I'm using the newest versions of both programs and I've named all of my surfaces and applied UV mapping to them....

Can someone please point out what the heck I am doing wrong? Thanks

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

They need to have some sort of UV map for daz to work with the surfaces.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

You say you've tried with and without UV maps - UV maps are essential, unless you are using procedural shaders. Primitives work because they are automatically UV mapped.

It would be helpful if you could give us screencaps of the model in Hex, in "smooth solid and edges" view, as well as the UV map grid.

Make them reasonably big so we can see clearly what problems there may be.

• TeezTeez Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

First Id like to say THANK YOU ALL. I've been a graphic artist for quite a few years but just got into modeling, so even the most basic helpful tips are well received and appreciated.

OK.. When I made the model, I made each wall separate so that I could apply a different texture If I wanted to but I could not make them work. After I posted my post last night.. I thought that maybe I had too any mapped areas? That didn't sound right ubt I went back into hex and welded most of the walls..

hexagon.jpg
    567 x 379 - 115K
    edited December 1969

Here's the scene that I would like for it to be. To put something on the back wall while I'm building the scene, I used an overlapping structure.

daz3d.jpg
    391 x 219 - 49K
    edited August 2014

I take it you got it sorted, then?

Interesting scene!

Just to illustrate a simpler method of making that room - it isn't necessary to give thickness to walls you won't see the back of :)

Make a cube, delete two sides, and the top if you don't need a ceiling. Reverse normals. Do a cubic UV projection map and manipulate the size - using the universal manipulator - by dragging on the centre yellow square until the checkerboard is evenly spread an the map looks like the one shown Be sure to use the option circled in red.

After validating the UV mapping, you can manipulate and scale the islands to make optimum use of the available mapping area, as shown in the second pic.

You can then make a separate shading domain for each wall, floor and ceiling and use a different texture for each.

roomUV.jpg
    510 x 474 - 30K
    room.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 288K
    Post edited by Roygee on
    edited December 1969

AWESOME! Thank you for the tip!

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

If you've been looking at any of my models, I've been making the walls double thickness to accommodate Poser some editions which may otherwise not display them until rendered.

When you weld groups together, the shading domains stay but the uvmap is kaput. Uvmap needs to be redone ... and if it's "locked" undesirably, the shading domains need to be removed, the item uvmapped and said map unfolded, then the Shading Domains renamed.

Then funsville, export out the item, close Hexagon, open Hexagon, import in the new item. Remove any and all unused materials and export out the item. Then should be nicely ready for use in D/S.

edited December 1969

I didn't know that about Poser - seems strange, because most objects are single-sided. Maybe because the normals were reversed? I only have Poser Debut and seldom use it, but it certainly doesn't have that problem.

I know there are some applications where, if you make a room using separate wall without physically welding the edges, you get light leaking through between the edges.

A simple way to overcome these problems is to make a cube, delete what is not needed and give it thickness - then there is no need to reverse normals.

This example was made that way and painted in Hex - only a single shading domain used.

I wonder whether other folks get that problem with shading domains and materials which have been removed mysteriously re-appearing? I've never come across that - removed stays removed :)

room1.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 330K
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I didn't know that about Poser - seems strange, because most objects are single-sided. Maybe because the normals were reversed? I only have Poser Debut and seldom use it, but it certainly doesn't have that problem.

I know there are some applications where, if you make a room using separate wall without physically welding the edges, you get light leaking through between the edges.

A simple way to overcome these problems is to make a cube, delete what is not needed and give it thickness - then there is no need to reverse normals.

This example was made that way and painted in Hex - only a single shading domain used.

I wonder whether other folks get that problem with shading domains and materials which have been removed mysteriously re-appearing? I've never come across that - removed stays removed :)

Unless there's been a material naming issue, the removed shading domains stay removed. It's their materials that stay on the list. Unless those are manually removed or cleared out [which is what the export does to many but not necessarily all] ... all those materials will be listed with the exported .obj files in D/S.

Try having a project scene in Hexagon with LOTS of materials, go File > new ... sometimes the material clears, sometimes it leaves a few remainders. Those remainders will be then attached to whatever is export from the new project.

edited December 1969

This is why I asked whether anyone else is getting that problem - it just doesn't happen with me. I've tested a few times when seeing you mention it and again just now by making new materials, deleting, making them in different zones, deleting again and so forth until there were only three and ended up with only the three that were exported from Hex - plus def-surf-mat, of course.

I have seen Hex maintain materials from a previous file, but very rarely. What I do then is close and open again and the problem is gone.

So, just wondering whether anyone else is getting that material retention problem - see if we can identify a commonality and find a solution ;)

edited December 1969

Oh I believed you, just thought I'd add a little more information. I'm not a coder and have no idea how or why any of this works lol ...

And yes for me too, closing Hexagon clears the memory. I use it often ;-)

• MW_HNLMW_HNL Posts: 45

Thank you very much for the "vowel"!  I was going crazy and thought installing elCapitan had broken something.  I just had never noticed this exactly.  Some of my hexagon stuff worked with some shaders, some would not even show anything other than the base coat even when rendered, the primatives always worked fine with all the kinds of shaders except those that had to be rendered to show (and then rendered correctly).  I was trying everything.  Most confusing was the shaders that did seem to kind of work when rendered but were not quite right.  Went back to my simple test modela and made sure it had a UV map on it and when I did that and exported it again the OBJ started working like the primatives in DAZ work.

Big clue!   Primates are already UV mapped.   Hexagon models must have a UV map apparently for lots of shaders that use a diffuse image.  Some would actually try to work but seem to have ridiculous tiling. Some would show bump maps applied and fancy other image modifiers but the diffuse image map was always missing even though it was in its right place in the surface tab.  Yet another mystery solved.  Thanks again.

Found your info from a Google search.  If there is a way to just search the neat forums I would like to know it.

shaders do not work on hexagon models site:daz3d.com   Seems to be a more targeted search at least.

Think most of us use Google search or just hunt through the pages ...

In reading over all the posts think I'll mention that anytime one "welds" together uvmapped items, those maps are zapped.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Also, when rendering in 3Delight using uber environment if your floor is only one plane thick you'll get weird white glow around anything that's touching the floor, it's like it inverts the ambiet occlusion.  Having a double layer floor fixes it, even if it's a single poly plane not actually connected, just a 1/4 cm below.