All my thumbnails are gone :(

Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
edited April 2021 in The Commons

Well, I attempted to update some things without knowing Daz was having issues with thumbnails and smart content. Now they're all gone. 

Any hints on how to fix this nightmare?

P.S. "Update metadata" did nothing.

I also tried uninstalling and re-installing with DIM (my normal method)...nothing.

Post edited by Leonides02 on

Comments

• Something along the lines of delete everything, reinstall with DIM, and don't let Studio connect to Daz. Probably want to set up the no connecting to Daz in your preferences before spending all that time downloading and reinstalling.

If you already installed with DIM, you don't need to uninstall, just turn off connecting and then reimport your metadata. Right-click the smart content tab, content database maintenance, and then reimport the metadata.

Just remember;

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

brimstoneomega said:

If you already installed with DIM, you don't need to uninstall, just turn off connecting and then reimport your metadata. Right-click the smart content tab, content database maintenance, and then reimport the metadata.

Oh, thank goodness, this worked.

Thank you!

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited April 2021

Post edited by y3kman on
  • Joe2018Joe2018 Posts: 232

Where is the setting to prevent Studio form connecting to DAZ? (I set that in "Connect" but everytime I start Studio it is logged in to DAZ).

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Joe2018 said:

Where is the setting to prevent Studio form connecting to DAZ? (I set that in "Connect" but everytime I start Studio it is logged in to DAZ). 

Preferences settings. Press F2 and go to the startup tab. Uncheck automatically login.

• Joe2018Joe2018 Posts: 232

Great! Thank you

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Or tell your firewall to prevent Daz Studio from connecting.

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637

brimstoneomega said:

Something along the lines of delete everything, reinstall with DIM, and don't let Studio connect to Daz. Probably want to set up the no connecting to Daz in your preferences before spending all that time downloading and reinstalling.

Sigh, this didn't work for me.. I worked offline and reimporting metadata took about 10 minutes but it still left me with numerous blank thumbnails.
    It has been weeks... hasn't DAZ solved this issue yet?

• Sevrin said:

Or tell your firewall to prevent Daz Studio from connecting.

That woiuld force you to wait while the connection attempt timed out. Just not trying to connect is faster, safer, and easy to revers if desired.

• DMax said:

brimstoneomega said:

Something along the lines of delete everything, reinstall with DIM, and don't let Studio connect to Daz. Probably want to set up the no connecting to Daz in your preferences before spending all that time downloading and reinstalling.

Sigh, this didn't work for me.. I worked offline and reimporting metadata took about 10 minutes but it still left me with numerous blank thumbnails.

It was being investigated, Daz_Jessica said in one of the other threads that they hope to have it fixed this week.

• brimstoneomegabrimstoneomega Posts: 343
    edited April 2021

DMax said:

They are aware of the issue and are working on it. It will be fixed "soon".  I quote soon because it's Daz soon as in......maybe someday. No one actually said that though, about the fix coming soon, not trying to misrepresent. 

Jokes aside (maybe I'm becoming too cynical) I read that apparently, it's not an issue with Studio itself, but rather the store somehow. Given all the issues with the store itself, I'm fairly certain it's kind of a tough nut to crack. They have to figure out what's going wrong, why it's going wrong, and how to fix it. Then make sure the fix doesn't cause a ripple effect and break other things, which is probably where this issue cropped up in the first place. It's like trying to build a tower out of Jenga blocks, only you don't have extra blocks, you have to use the bottom ones to fix the top (actually it's nothing like that, but it's a good visualization).

As to why this didn't work for you, I'm not sure. Are you using Daz Connect? If so you can open an item in smart content and then right-click an icon and have Studio show you the location of the files. Back up some from that file's location till you get to the underlying folder structure and you'll be able to go to runtime<support<and see the 0kb jpg. That's your icon. Delete it and make a new one.  Daz might complain about not editing Connect files, not sure if that's gonna happen though if you're not connected to the server.

If you're using Dim you can just go to your library and find the folder in Support and change it there.

Completely impractical if your smart content looks anything like what @Leonides02 has going on.

*Edit* Yup definitely too cynical. Looks like they may be getting somewhere with it after what Richard said. None of this stuff is exactly easy to do, which I should cut them some more slack on, but I'm a stonemason and build fireplaces, that's not easy work either, but if a fireplace starts spewing smoke and flames into someone's house I can't tell the owners that I'll get on it as soon as I can. Apples to oranges, I know, but I still need to make sure it's working before someone moves in. No updates or day one patches.

Post edited by brimstoneomega on
  • Daz_RAWB has posted that a lot of thumbnails are now fixed, they will be going through checking for any that have been missed.

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637
    edited April 2021

Thank you all for the discussion and updates.
    I just tried signing in and working online... still have numerous empty thumbnails including recent items like Social Distance Restaurant and Cleopatra8.1

Sigh, I am just extremely worried that my countless hours of manual smart content metadata updates for all my M4 items have been lost (I did perform the "export user data" thinggy previously to save the manual data)

Post edited by DMax on
  • PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 776

A whole load of my thumbnails have returned apart from

dforce lily holiday dress

Bar Interior

British street furniture

Ceremonial Horse armour

Kinetik Poses

Oriental for marionette

Reyna Hair for genesis 3

Sweetness for marionette

Vintage Pychiatrity

hope that helps

• Pitmatic said:

A whole load of my thumbnails have returned apart from

dforce lily holiday dress

Bar Interior

British street furniture

Ceremonial Horse armour

Kinetik Poses

Oriental for marionette

Reyna Hair for genesis 3

Sweetness for marionette

Vintage Pychiatrity

hope that helps

If you could give the SKU it would help with fixing/troubleshooting.

• KlimaxKlimax Posts: 23

Richard Haseltine said:

Daz_RAWB has posted that a lot of thumbnails are now fixed, they will be going through checking for any that have been missed.

That's still going to be a long day. Out of 4447 products a lot of them are still missing thumbnails. Examples: Genesis Ranger, Parkside Head or dForce Seasons Magus for Genesis 8 Male.