A Li'l Side Render Fun #2022 - Tuesday is Soylent Green Day edition

Comments

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

nice!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Beautiful grunge and lighting, Veronika.  Love it.  And of course it qualifies.  

edited March 2021

Scavengers taking the shoes of the dead.  Dystopian, eh?

shoes wip.jpg
    1840 x 986 - 310K
    Shoes 01 render.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 219K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197

@Dae O'Mead - very. Like the look of triumph / concentration on the thief's face. 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

@mschack, thank you!

@Dae O'Mead, thank you for your kind words! Congrats on your new nick.

edited March 2021

One more from me:

Nostalgia

Native render, no postwork.

nostalgia.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    Screenshot 03-20-2021 13.57.49.png
    1683 x 1123 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,686

Diomede - nice render, but does he know how to tie shoe-laces ?

Vyusur - lovely renders, Cafe render is my fave !!

Bunyip02 said:

Vyusur - lovely renders, Cafe render is my fave !!

Thank you very much!

Ted, the poses and expression on your recent picture are very natural!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

Being physically exhausted over the last few weeks has also helped me to become somewhat mentally exhausted as well - just so darned tired. So in my moment of 3D inability I looked upon film for a bit of a pick-me-up, and stumbled upon something I wish I'd have supported as it was being presented to help bolster its 'successfulness' - Star Trek - Picard.

The frst episode is free to watch for Amazon Prime members, so I watched it. I normally don't watch free single episodes becasue I don't want to get absorbed into something that I can't, or don't wish to buy. Well this one completely immersed me by the end of the first episode so I had to buy the season, which is pretty darned cool. I'm glad I have it.

Here's a trailer from ComicCon:

It's quite an inspiration of ideas for Dystopian twists, even without following the actual storyline at all - just grabbing bits and pieces of ideas from this and that - which Star Trek is very good for no matter which series.

edited March 2021

Thank you for the comments, Bunyip, VYusur.  

Veronika, your latest is another beauty.  Love how you made the dark area of the image so prominent, yet still able to appreciate the full scene.

Dart - I will check out the first episode after I finish the old serial for The Green Hornet on Amazon Prime.  Kato is played by the same guy who later was the old monk on the TV series Kung Fu.  He is the guy who says "Take the pebble from my hand."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031394/

green hornet.jpg
    349 x 500 - 68K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

Diomede said:

Scavengers taking the shoes of the dead.  Dystopian, eh?

Reminds me when ( true story ) I seen me mate walking down the road wearing just the one thong.. I said to him "Did you lose your thong mate?"

he said "nah.... found one!" smiley

Ted, thank you for the nice comment!

edited March 2021

Funny story, Stezza.  Hope you are safe from the floods.  Seems like Oz has had more than its share of tough events.

Thank you for the nice comment, Veronika.

Here is another dystopia render by me.  I started with one of Dart's badland terrains and had some fun from there.

Badland Dystopia Entry 01.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 284K

@Diomede Very Dystopian. Love the terrain, colouring and of course the character makes it as my eye is drawn to him first. It sets the viewer thinking "what's the story?".

Thanks for the comment, Sci Fi Funk.  I may add some futuristic debris and clutter. If I do, I think I will just load this base image in the backdrop and use shadow catchers. 

Time Update - Keeping this Theme Going at Least Through May 1st, Maybe Longer.

Diomede said:

Time Update - Keeping this Theme Going at Least Through May 1st, Maybe Longer.

Oh good. I might have my machine by then. If so I'll put in another entry. I think there is a global shortage of parts at the moment - it's been a long wait.

• Great scene Diomede and I really like the lone character overlooking the cliff.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,686

Diomede, you have made that Badlands scenery even badder ! Nice composition of the scene.

Thank you for the comments, brother grim and Bunyip02.  

Sci Fi Funk - it does seem like there are big problems with supply chains.  Early one morning, I had to go to a shopping center next to a big computer store.  The computer store had not opened yet, but there was a line from its doors down the sidewalk and wrapping around the building - separated by 6 feet so I guess it looked longer than it really was.  News had gotten out that there would be a parts shipment.  Crazy times.

edited March 2021

@Diomede Yes - I had been warned as early as September of last year that PC parts were struggling (not just graphics cards due to the bitcoin miners). So, I'm filling in time by writing film scripts (intended for 3d animated sizzle reels), but I miss my 3d!! (the octane render plug-in specifically). However I'm also catching up with some 3d tutorials, so these down times can be useful too. UPDATE - Just read my probable build date for the PC is the 26th of March! Woohooh! We are on the home straight now ...

Anyway the level of entries in this thread continues to rise, so it makes for some great viewing, keep it up everyone.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • mschackmschack Posts: 337

The dystopia theme just reminded me of this, love his 'lazy tuts' haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnyapZ_P-g

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

I just learned about soy face

the drinking of a soy milk brand called Soylent apparently makes men exuberant becoming soyboys pulling this gagging face

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2021

i'm rewatching hunger games.  katniss

theres a darkness to the lighting of the movie.  i guess i need to pivk the right hdri for it.

movie concept is so creepy.  the tributes fighting to the death because of the uprising, which prolly happened  before these kids were born.

Post edited by Mistara on

dystopia can has its funny moments too

edited April 2021

That movie is one of my guilty pleasures.  That is why I was so disappointed that a recent monster bug product in the store wasn't working correctly.  sad

Here is another adventure in Carrara terrain modeling from me.  I wanted a relatively clear path with steep hillsides.  I wanted to replicate some plants on the relatively flat areas of the hillsides.  Dystopian occupant of the path to be determined.

bb11 eye level.jpg
    640 x 480 - 46K
    edited April 2021

Here are the steps.

- Insert a terrain.

- I used 4 choices from the terrain modeler filter menu to create a relatively flat path with rough hillsides

- I duplicated the terrain and renamed it.  Optional, I also reduced the second terrain resolution.  That may affect replicator distribution a little.

- I used a black and white mixer in color channel on the second terrain shader to experiment with dividing up the terrain into areas to be covered or not covered

- the key functions in the black and white mixer blenders were environment elevation and environment slope.  That allowed me to keep the path clear (black)

- I copied the color channel black and white mixers

- I inserted a bunch of prop plants with hot points at their bottoms.  I created a surface replicator.  Chose the second terrain as the source object and the prop plants as the replicants.

- I checked the box to use the shader for surface replicator distribution.  I copied and pasted my black white color mixers from the second terrain to the surface replicator distribution .  I unchecked align to normal.

- I unchecked the visibility and shadows of the second terrain

- making sure that both terrains are the same in Z axis, I made sure the replicated plants look reasonable.  Adjust number, scale and distribution to taste.

- A distant test render confirms the path

bb01 terrain modeler use plateau among 4 filter layers to get a mountain or hill path.jpg
    1885 x 1020 - 291K
    bb02 duplicate the terrain and create a new shader.jpg
    1877 x 1009 - 218K
    bb03 create a new shader with black white mixers in color channel use slope and elevation to control where white is.jpg
    1759 x 786 - 199K
    bb04 notice path is black low elevation and very steep hillsides are black slope.jpg
    640 x 480 - 33K
    bb05 copy the black white color channel.jpg
    1050 x 689 - 99K
    bb06 insert surface replicator choose terrain 2 as source and plants or whatever as replicants.jpg
    1867 x 982 - 227K
    bb07 paste the color mixer into shader control of replicator.jpg
    1725 x 905 - 227K
    bb10 density of replicators.jpg
    640 x 480 - 65K

@Diomede Really nice work there. Thanks for the tutorial as well.

Diomede  the spider creature?  mebbe the collada export?  

all those bridges.  too bad none lead to carrara.

in all honesty tho, i watch starship troopers cuz rico is a honey.  i'm so shallow.  lol

i keep renting the movies on amazon prime.  
    when they disecting the bug and Carmen starts puking, ugh, i puking along with her.  dohhh