dForce dress exploding over and over

I've been trying for an hour to get a dForce dress to simulate properly on a character doing a fairly high kick, and it explodes every time around the 60% mark. I think I've done everything that one usually would do in order to avoid this: simulate from a zero memorized pose, tried it with all figure morphs zeroed as well, made sure the dress is not intersecting anything at startup and that no other items will be intersected even during the duration of the simulation, and tried with smoothing both on and off. Is there anything else you might recommend before I go yell into a pillow and consider taking up drawing again?   ;)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

The first thing I always do when my dForce explodes is turn the Dynamics Strength (or whatever it's called) down. I think it's usually at about 0.5, so I lower it to 0.25 and that typically solves it.

If that doesn't work, there's a neat diagram of how cloth sims work at the bottom of this Blender doc page: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/physics/cloth/introduction.html With that in mind, you might be able to fiddle with the dForce springs to stop it from exploding (which I believe it caused by the springs getting compacted and then shooting everywhere like snakes in a can).

• LucielLuciel Posts: 475

Sometimes contraction/expansion ratios can cause it to happen on some figure/shape combos when in the negative (less than 100), so dial that up if it's down.

Could try turning self collision off, it doesn't always give the best simulation results but can work when other things don't.

Or just try checking by each material zone, turning them on in turn. 

Other things are like the spacing issues where cloth gets stuck (which it's seemed you've checked), and if the polygons get too small.

Though, some dforce items are just occasionally weird for weird reasons and need a program restarting to work. 

Could always draw while you're waiting for the simulations to complete. laugh

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

What dress?  What pose?

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,609
    edited March 2021

Are you simulating on the timeline? Explosions are most commonly caused by geometry clipping into itself during a pose transition. It would definitely help to know what dress you're trying to simulate and an example of the pose. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Check Bend Stiffness and set to 0.2 if it is higher

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979

margrave said:

The first thing I always do when my dForce explodes is turn the Dynamics Strength (or whatever it's called) down. I think it's usually at about 0.5, so I lower it to 0.25 and that typically solves it.

If that doesn't work, there's a neat diagram of how cloth sims work at the bottom of this Blender doc page: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/physics/cloth/introduction.html With that in mind, you might be able to fiddle with the dForce springs to stop it from exploding (which I believe it caused by the springs getting compacted and then shooting everywhere like snakes in a can).

As mentioned by RGcincy, I think you mean bend stiffness as that is usually the setting that causes some dforce clothing to go boom.. smiley

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Thank you for the suggestions. I haven't had a chance to test many of them yet, but I did do a test with the Universal Dress from DAZ on the same figure and in the same pose and that did not explode. It may have to do more with the individual product than the settings, but now I may have to use precise opacity maps and other tricks because I need a very short and tight dress for this particular scene and the Universal Dress is neither.

Thanks again.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,646

With a tight dress, a high kick might stretch the dress more than dForce can handle.

Consider if you think if that could be done in real life.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Ghosty12 said:

As mentioned by RGcincy, I think you mean bend stiffness as that is usually the setting that causes some dforce clothing to go boom.. smiley

I was under the impression "Dynamic Strength" was the master control for the cloth sim as a whole, and that lowering it would automatically scale all the other values down. 

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Felis, that is very true, I just thought maybe I could adjust the settings to simulate a very stretchy material and still pull it off.

Overall, the issue appears to have more to do with the dress itself. The Universal Dress is of good quality and I don't think it's exploded yet. The other one I was using just doesn't seem to handle extreme poses very well. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,646

If the skirt has its own material zone, you can try change contraction-expansion to something like 120, and maybe also increase number of subframes to give dForce more time to calculate the stresch

I would also use animated timeline with the kick somewhere along the timeline to give it more time,

Could also try to decrease friction - then the skirt can slide higher up on the thigh

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Collision Offset is one I usually end up tweaking; usually down to 0.1 or 0.12.

... With explosions it is usually some intersection somewhere and turning off dforce on a later can also help. Narrowing down the culprit with multiple layers is about disabling them all bar one and expermenting.

• The adjusting of Bend Stiffness from .5 to .25 worked wonders for me thanks guys!