A Li'l Side Render Fun #2022 - Tuesday is Soylent Green Day edition

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Sci Fi Funk said:

@Diomede looking good! Looking real good. So you used an HDRI as well, very cool. I've added that HDRI set to my wishlist. The stones around the fire are lit well.

As a person looking at it without knowing your struggles I'd have no idea that the Gas mask is a V4 object being forced onto an M6 head. It works just fine.

Also the choice of backdrop makes the picture much more interesting than just trees. The title works well with the backdrop - a futuristic celestial city is how I interpret it. 

@Mystiarra - Yes it's been miserable this last year, but I'm hopeful we are coming out of it now. I live in the UK. At least we have 3d to keep us occupied. :)

I nearly missed this while I spammed the thread with a variety of dystopian movies that might not at first be thought of as dystopian.  But I think most of consider lands where children or toys are outlawed as dystopian.  

Thanks very much for the constructive feedback, SciFiFunk.  You have given me several more ideas to explore.  

edited March 2021

Is Dystopian a Matter of Interpretation?

If so, participants may interpret any way they like.

Consider the episode 'The Apple' from the original Star Trek series.  Is the world a paradise, or have the humanoids become slaves to a machine?  Summarized with cast/crew credits at  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708452/?ref_=ttmi_tt

Star Trek: The Original Series (TV Series), The Apple (1967)

"Kirk and a landing party beam down to what seems to be an ideal, Eden-like planet. They soon find however that the planet is ruled by a powerful computer that keeps its local inhabitants - primitive and simple tribesmen - happy and healthy. With the Enterprise locked in a tractor beam and slowly being dragged into the planet's atmosphere, Kirk and Spock must find a way to disable the computer. Realizing the threat to its existence, the computer orders the tribesmen to kill the visitors." from IMDB

"Primitive inhabitants of Gamma Trianguli VI worship a God who orders them to kill visitors, from the Enterprise." also IMDB

Directed by Joseph Pevney, Writing Credits Gene Roddenberry ... (created by), Max Ehrlich ... (teleplay by) and Gene L. Coon ... (teleplay by), Max Ehrlich ... (story by)

zzzzz star trek vaal the apple.jpg
    1183 x 748 - 157K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited March 2021

Diomede said:

You have given me several more ideas to explore.  

Great! All the best with them

I had a look at the list of movies.

Of the top 10 the only ones I rate are 

1. Edge of Tomorrow. "on your feet magot!" - Great film.

2. The Matrix - I actually watched this when it first came out in luxury seats (with thier own table) in an Art Deco Cinema looking down on the film - the perfect setting to a memorable film.

3.  The Postman - This film still inspires me now. I am writing a post-apocalyptic film script at the moment, and this and Cloud Atlas influenced me among other things.

4. I am Legend - Just that early (opening?) scene where he hunts in an abandoned New York - fantastic work there. Also Tom Cruise acted in a sequence of a deserted New York in Vanilla Sky. 

I've no idea why The book of Eli and the Road are the top 2 - these are two films I will never watch again.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

what was the Yul Brenner one?  was terrifying.  think was before terminator came out.

solar babies. 
    tank girl

Mystiarra said:

what was the Yul Brenner one?  was terrifying.  think was before terminator came out.

Yul Brenner, my guess is you are probably thinking of WestWorld (1973 movie, they also made a series on HBO)

official trailer 1973

Sci Fi Funk said:

@Diomede looking good! Looking real good. So you used an HDRI as well, very cool. I've added that HDRI set to my wishlist. The stones around the fire are lit well.

As a person looking at it without knowing your struggles I'd have no idea that the Gas mask is a V4 object being forced onto an M6 head. It works just fine.

Also the choice of backdrop makes the picture much more interesting than just trees. The title works well with the backdrop - a futuristic celestial city is how I interpret it. 

@Mystiarra - Yes it's been miserable this last year, but I'm hopeful we are coming out of it now. I live in the UK. At least we have 3d to keep us occupied. :)

Wales still closed?

i was considering Wales or NSW for retirement move.

Mystiarra said:

solar babies. 
    tank girl

I haven't seen Solar babies, but definitely Tank Girl.  Water and Power!

Tank Girl 1995 Official Trailer

edited March 2021

@Mystiarra WestWorld. A great film, particularly when you consider when it was made. I've watched some of the first series of the new Westworld TV Show. Far too violent and unnessessary nudity, also has none of the charm of the original. The only thing I liked about the new series was the political drama going on behind the scenes with those that control Westworld. Also the live 3d image of the whole terrain was really good.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited March 2021

Sci Fi Funk said:

Diomede said:

You have given me several more ideas to explore.  

Great! All the best with them

I had a look at the list of movies.

Of the top 10 the only ones I rate are 

1. Edge of Tomorrow. "on your feet magot!" - Great film.

2. The Matrix - I actually watched this when it first came out in luxury seats (with thier own table) in an Art Deco Cinema looking down on the film - the perfect setting to a memorable film.

3.  The Postman - This film still inspires me now. I am writing a post-apocalyptic film script at the moment, and this and Cloud Atlas influenced me among other things.

4. I am Legend - Just that early (opening?) scene where he hunts in an abandoned New York - fantastic work there. Also Tom Cruise acted in a sequence of a deserted New York in Vanilla Sky. 

I've no idea why The book of Eli and the Road are the top 2 - these are two films I will never watch again.

I haven't seen The Book of Eli or the Road.  

Many of my favorite dystopian scifi movies come from my youth, or from watching late night old movies on the independent TV stations. 

Soylent Green. (1970s) is in the title of this challenge, and the following scene is recommended if anyone still has doubts about what dystopian means. Riot control.  Everyone disburse.  The scoops are on their way. wink

Soylent Green, highly recommended.

https://vimeo.com/86165866

Post edited by Diomede on

was young when i saw the movie.  slept withe the lights on  was so scary

@Mystiarra Yes Yul Bryner was perfect for the role. Very menacing. Those echoing footsteps as he calmly pursues his enemy. I was young too at the time. *shudders*.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

Great reading and images by all..

im on my iPad and have no pc access whilst on my dystopian road trip to Victoria.. but enjoying catching up on all the posts. yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660

Diomede said:

No Longer the Yellow Brick Road!

Kentucky Fried Rodent - nice one !!!

Stezza said:

im on my iPad and have no pc access whilst on my dystopian road trip to Victoria.. but enjoying catching up on all the posts. yes

Look out for those Dystopian Traffic Cops !!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

Look out for those Dystopian Traffic Cops !!

and if you are catching the posts you are fatigued and you better have a bullbar  

Mystiarra said:

Wales still closed?

i was considering Wales or NSW for retirement move.

Everywhere is closed! Schools opened again today. End of the month non-essesntial shops start to open again. Should get my vaccination soon now. 

edited March 2021

Transport for the masses, Air Bikes & Air Boards

Dystopia RetroTechSt 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Dystopia RetroTechSt 1 WIP.png
    2286 x 1036 - 864K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited March 2021

NPR, Filter Forge - actual filter is Artification. Also did first stage image adjustment using Topaz Adjust.

Dystopia RetroTechSt 1 Tpz FltFrg.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M

no renders but they gave me colour selfies of my alien abduction probings blush

AB142ED1-1766-4A64-A714-43606BD2A882.jpeg
    3264 x 1928 - 1M
    05C8FAD3-B78F-4D99-A608-354B251DE3F1.jpeg
    2570 x 2220 - 1M

Trust you got the all clear !!!

Bunyip02 said:

yes nothing major 

edited March 2021

NPR - is a series of Filter Forge filters blended together in PSP

Dystopia City Mech 1 Tpz FltFrg4.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

yes nothing major 

yes

@WendyLuvsCatz - glad you are ok.

Sci Fi Funk said:

@WendyLuvsCatz - glad you are ok.

+1, +1, +1

the most miserable movie i seen in a while is hunger games.  cant think of how to render it tho

Mystiarra said:

the most miserable movie i seen in a while is hunger games.  cant think of how to render it tho

Indeed. When I saw the trailer, I lost my appetite for it. :D 

Sci Fi Funk said:

Mystiarra said:

Indeed. When I saw the trailer, I lost my appetite for it. :D 

Good choice.  Definitely dystopian. Perhaps just think about some of the characters, sets, scenes, and images that made it of interest to you.  I am attaching some promotional materials and collections of movie stills just as reminders of some elements of the series.  Maybe it will prompt an idea, or further brainstorming.

hunger games.jpg
    1875 x 899 - 492K
    hunger games 2.jpg
    1875 x 912 - 523K
    hunger games 3.jpg
    762 x 435 - 82K
    hunger games 4.jpg
    763 x 489 - 111K
    hunger games 5.jpg
    767 x 567 - 140K
    hunger games 6.jpg
    772 x 578 - 151K
    hunger games 7.jpg
    781 x 582 - 142K

thanks for the stills.

i liked donald sutherland at the end. 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited March 2021

I'm not sure it's qualified, but anyway, my two cents.

Octane render, no postwork.

Factory_Octane01.jpg
    2200 x 1500 - 4M
    Screenshot 03-20-2021 15.22.52.png
    1338 x 1075 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on