March 2021 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing and Posing II

L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

New User's Challenge - March 2021

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

New this year, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General
  • Or if you have not participated in the March Posing Challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics
  • Or if you have all ready participated in the March Posing Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Closing date for both is March 31st 2021

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

They apply for both versions of the challenge

Post edited by L'Adair on

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2021

Beginner Challenge - March 2021

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

"Posing"

This challenge is a general render challenge with the focus being on how you pose the characters in your image. We're providing you with lots of great links on Posing from a variety of sources. To get started, find a photograph or drawing using this link or eg for dance poses this link to use as a reference. (Be sure the image you use is labeled for commercial reuse - though we will only be using it as reference, alternatively use your own personal photographs for reference.) Additional searches approved for use include RunningFighting. (These links go to DuckDuckGo, which may give different results for different searchers, and should give everyone plenty to choose from.)

Then try to pose your character as closely as possible to match the reference image. For this challenge, please post your reference image or a link to it, and your render. This will give forum viewers an idea of the pose you are trying to achieve and will lead to more helpful suggestions. Have fun!

How to Use Your Software:
    Software is often updated, and online tutorials and information often demonstrate older versions of the software. The software version you are using may differ in User Interface and tools available. Please share links to reference material that you have found helpful in the Challenge thread.

in DAZ Studio
    Daz Documentation Center [Wiki] [Associated YouTube Video]
    Daz 101: Posing
    Pinning, Posing and the Active Pose Tool
    Applying Partial Poses
    DAZ Studio Tips 2 - Symmetry and Partial Poses
    Great Art Now - Posing And Morphing [YouTube Video]
    Some good tips in this forum thread.

in Poser
    Poser Tutorial: Quick Posing

in Carrara
    Dartanbeck's simple method of character animation (Carrara Cafe article, great for those who prefer illustrated written tutorials)
    Huge list of helpful forum links (scroll to Animation and Posing section) If you have a problem, your answer might be here!
    Carrara 3D Tutorial - Posing a Figure
    Posing in Carrara
    Posing Tips - Carrara Cafe

in Bryce
    While it is not possible to pose things in Bryce, you are welcome to do your posing in another program such as DAZ Studio or Poser, then export and render in Bryce. For information on how to use the Bryce bridge to import a DS scene into Bryce: http://brycebasics.blogspot.com/2009/12/using-daz-studio-with-bryce.html

Always worth a look: last years Posing challenge:

Posing

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2021

Intermediate Challenge - March 2021

Posing II using Advanced posing tools

This includes powerpose, active pose and puppeteer, you can choose one or try yourself in all three. These tools give you a greater range to create your own new poses either from existing ones or from scratch. For example using puppeteer you can create new poses from existing ones on a fluent scale. It can be applied for animation as well, but for this challenge we will keep the focus on the still image.

You are welcome to use one of the references for a pose from the links in the beginner challenge, but it's not a requirement.

Information and Explanation

Powerpose

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/powerpose/start

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/178446/how-do-you-use-power-pose-for-making-expressions-with-g8

Puppeteer

Daz site info:http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/puppeteer/start

And a useful thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/252276/puppeteer-tutorials-and-the-like

PowerPose tutorials

Pinning, Posing and the Active Pose Tool

Daz 3D Posing, Pinning Poses, & Morphs

Puppeteer tutorials

for DAZ Studio

Puppeteer

DAZ Studio - Using Puppeteer

Tutorial : puppeteering in DAZ Studio 4

Building a Coffee Shop scene in DAZ Studio using Puppeteer - 3D She...

DAZ3D 4.8 - Puppeteer

Hair Dynamics Effect in Daz Studio! Puppeteer from Poses!

For Carrara

Carrara 8 Puppeteer

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

just for inspiration, this was my biggest posing challenge lately:

have fun with this challenge everybody!

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

This is my entry for the beginner challenge as I didn't do this challenge last year

• vamokvamok Posts: 238
    edited March 2021

@sueya - You got this really close to your model image so I hope you do not mind some nit-picky observations. It appears your model has an errant toe on his upraised foot that is detracting from the grace of the pose. I think adding a little finger curvature to the left hand and possibly less finger spread would make him look more elegant and relaxed. Lastly, maybe swing that left arm forward a bit. In the image it does not appear as extreme. Having said that you are looking at a bigger image and I may be dead wrong.

Overall, this looks good and it is the first day of the challenge! I am looking forward to see how this develops.

Post edited by vamok on
  • Linwelly said:

just for inspiration, this was my biggest posing challenge lately:

have fun with this challenge everybody!

So.. much.. touching.

When I know two figures are going to have to touch in a render I am prepping, it makes me shudder. If they are touching through clothing, doubly so. Way to max out the difficulty!

Second worst is thumbs, which never seem long enough for some reason.

• Here's my start on the intermediate challenge.

march2021a.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
  • Starting to do some tweeking on things with his skin texture and some details that I went and added. Still need to more on his posing.

march2021b.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited March 2021

First entry for the beginner's challenge, along with the reference photo. Suggestions would be appreciated!

Rooftop Gymnastics.png
    1600 x 1920 - 3M
    photo-1577702310329-f7293ba86b58.jpg
    500 x 750 - 31K
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

aprilshowers2065 said:

First entry for the beginner's challenge, along with the reference photo. Suggestions would be appreciated!

Note: I barely know what I am doing. I am just trying to be helpful. I may be way off base here...

I have been staring at this for at least 15 minutes comparing it to your reference photo. First, I would like to see more light. You have very closely matched the background in your reference image, but in the reference image you can see a highlight on the upper surface of the foreground leg (or it might just be the color and texture of the fabric). You could play with your environmental intensity in your render settings or perhaps a rectangular spot with larger dimensions for a softer light. I am guessing here, but I think additional subtle lighting would work nicely. 

Once again your posing is very close, and as I am experiencing with my own entry for this month, the figures don't play by the same rules as reality. You may alslo have to remove limits on certain joints when working with your figure. So in my hyperfocused staring between your reference and your model here is what I see:

In the image the girls spine has a very subtle curve starting near her shoulder blades and continues a very slight, graceful curve up to her lower (upside down character) back. Then we see the sharper pivot in the spine required to acheive the pose. On your model this curvature is absent, resulting in an exagerated spine-breaking pivot at the lower back. I do not know if this is even worth worrying about, to be honest. The rest of the pose looks really good to me. I am just throwing this at you, because I see it, but it is super petty. ...and people constantly tell me to relax, so I am probably being uptight again...

I think a little soft lighting would give you the most impact. I look forward to seeing your next render!

• > First entry for the beginner's challenge, along with the reference photo. Suggestions would be appreciated!

Purely from a posing perspective, I think you have got the legs pretty much bang on. The right foot appears higher in your render and the knee is a trifle lower. 

I suspect the model is moving rather than holding that pose so it is going to look a little unnatural. The head in the photo is back more and the spine curved more. Maybe bend back the upper chest more and the lower abdomen less?

The hands are floating a bit. She is on her palms in the photo, so maybe bend the arms more (they are a bit bent in the photo), to allow the hands to flatten more on the palms. Get more of the bend into the first joint of the fingers so they look arched.

It is close though.

• Version C here. I went about bringing his right arm up to return fire on whoever is firing at him (all the while lashing out with a grenade in his left hand from the get go.)

I also added a muzzle flash to his gun to help show what he's doing.

march2021c.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
    edited March 2021

Thanks vamok and davidjones8418 for the advice. I added more light and a bit more curve into her spine. Also made sure that her hands aren't floating anymore. 

Rooftop Gymnist2.jpg
    1600 x 1920 - 1M

aprilshowers2065 said:

Thanks vamok and davidjones8418 for the advice. I added more light and a bit more curve into her spine. Also made sure that her hands aren't floating anymore. 

Wow! That looks great! 

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284

All Quiet on the Western Front 2

Intermediate

Being relatively new to this, I had no experience working with the M4 model and have found myself learning different things with this. The uniforms are too good not to use, though!

Alias52 said:

All Quiet on the Western Front 2

Intermediate

Being relatively new to this, I had no experience working with the M4 model and have found myself learning different things with this. The uniforms are too good not to use, though!

Very cool. 

• MerakiMeraki Posts: 38
    edited March 2021

Cybergirl

Beginner 

A render i made recently, Based myself of the release trailer of the game and tried to do mix cyberpunk 2077 and ellie from the game

The_Last_of_Us_2_Ellie_509704.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    ellie_cyberpunk_by_redhero6_deda05v.jpg.png
    1833 x 2500 - 3M
    Post edited by Meraki on
  • vamok said:

aprilshowers2065 said:

Wow! That looks great! 

Thanks! laugh 

• jkpjkp Posts: 17
    edited March 2021

Reposting.

Post edited by jkp on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited March 2021

Version 2 of my image. I put my dancer in a studio

Maledancerv2.jpg
    783 x 731 - 107K
    Post edited by sueya on
  • jkpjkp Posts: 17
    edited March 2021

Beginner Challenge

Title: Partner Yoga

Here is my entry in the Beginner Challenge.

PosingChallenge-2021-03.png
    1536 x 2048 - 4M
    ReferencePhoto.JPG
    413 x 414 - 46K
    Post edited by jkp on
    edited March 2021

The Blight

Intermediate Challenge Entry #1

All the posing was done using power pose. Started with the default pose. Feedback welcome.

Blight V-C.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by vamok on

Hot Scramble

Intermediate Challenge Entry #2

The pilot is posed using power pose starting from the default pose. The two figures on the ground have a commercial pose on them so they don't count. 

I love busy, complicated scenes...try to focus on the pilot :-) Feedback welcome.

hot scramble.png
    2000 x 1708 - 4M
  • AstrofoxAstrofox Posts: 7

Intermediate challenge pose II. "Bored"

Context: Im a science teacher in the UK and noticed a girl in the library (during lockodwn) who looked so bored after been in the same place for 7 weeks, 5 days aweek!. It inspired me to enter this competition even though Ive never entered anything before.  For the pose I started out this a G8 default then used a variety of posing techniques to end up with the desired result. (it was the picking at the sides of the finger that I have tried to capture as well as the facial features. Any feedback would be helpful.

bored.png
    1000 x 1414 - 2M
    edited March 2021

Astrofox said:

Context: Im a science teacher in the UK and noticed a girl in the library (during lockodwn) who looked so bored after been in the same place for 7 weeks, 5 days aweek!. It inspired me to enter this competition even though Ive never entered anything before.  For the pose I started out this a G8 default then used a variety of posing techniques to end up with the desired result. (it was the picking at the sides of the finger that I have tried to capture as well as the facial features. Any feedback would be helpful.

This is a beautiful render and the posing is terrific. You captured a "salty teenager" in the pose and expression. I would love to see a little more illumination in your library. You do not need a lot more light but a little more would allow us to appreciate all the wonderful details in your portrait. 

I would also recommend a softer light so your shadows are not so pronounced...unless you wanted that. I like to use point lights set as rectangular with dimensions of 100 by 100 for this type of shot . I do not know if this is the best method buy it works for me.

All respect to you as an educator, especially in this crazy year we are having.

Post edited by vamok on
    edited March 2021

Beginner Challenge Entry 2

Title: Counterbalance

This one was a bit tricky; feedback would be welcome!

Counter Balance2.png
    1600 x 1920 - 2M
    photo-1606828367227-4239d8229dbd.jpg
    500 x 625 - 25K

aprilshowers2065 said:

Beginner Challenge Entry 2

Title: Counterbalance

This one was a bit tricky; feedback would be welcome!

This looks pretty solid already. The only thing I can recommend is a little arching to the female's feet. In your model photo, her feet are a little "cupped" whereas your model's feet are nearly perfectly flat. It does look a bit odd having her feet that flat. Her back leg may be rotated a bit more...trivial detail. I would say that you have this posing thing down pretty well. Nice!

vamok said:

Astrofox said:

This is a beautiful render and the posing is terrific. You captured a "salty teenager" in the pose and expression. I would love to see a little more illumination in your library. You do not need a lot more light but a little more would allow us to appreciate all the wonderful details in your portrait. 

I would also recommend a softer light so your shadows are not so pronounced...unless you wanted that. I like to use point lights set as rectangular with dimensions of 100 by 100 for this type of shot . I do not know if this is the best method buy it works for me.

Thank you Vamok for your kind comments.

by far the most difficult thing  I find is using lights. I wanted the light to make the subject the definite focus, which I think I have managed, but you are correct, the lighting is too harsh (shadows too definite). I'm trying for a softer light but at the same time illuminates her more. I tried to get some background lighting by using a point light source in the background but not with the desired result. Anyway I will take a look at using rectangular spotlights and try to increase the overall light levels

vamok said:

Astrofox said:

Thank you Vamok for your kind comments.

by far the most difficult thing  I find is using lights. I wanted the light to make the subject the definite focus, which I think I have managed, but you are correct, the lighting is too harsh (shadows too definite). I'm trying for a softer light but at the same time illuminates her more. I tried to get some background lighting by using a point light source in the background but not with the desired result. Anyway I will take a look at using rectangular spotlights and try to increase the overall light levels

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited March 2021

Title: So Comfy

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginner

Reference photo and my attempt at its recreation. Feedback would be highly appreciated!

My image:

Reference image:

jake-conroy-DUfcrawAhpU-unsplash.jpg
    4000 x 6000 - 2M
    Doggy Pose Challenge_edited.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    Post edited by katywhite on