Newbie to Hexagon and also 3D modeling!

launoklaunok Posts: 774
edited August 2014 in Hexagon Discussion

Dear all,

First time I am posting in Hexagon forums! Although I have done 3D renders for a few years now, I have never modeled anything - nothing at all!

But I am now at a point where I am really keen to start at some point at the late age of 59 to begin modeling! :ohh:

My son-in-law got me some video tutorials by Fugazi1968, vendor at Renderosity, to learn modeling clothing items. I have the basics and had a look at them. But the only thing is I have no idea what happened to an old program of mine, Silo 2, which Fugazi mostly uses in the beginner parts of his "Tailoring" series. Can anyone tell me if there are much differences between Silo 2 and Hexagon 2.5 which I got from Daz3D? For instance, if I follow the videos demonstrated in Silo can I do those steps in Hexagon as well?

By the way, I also got his "Genesis Starter Kit" for Hexagon but haven't used that as well. I am actually interested in making a cyclist jersey which can open and close in the front, thus mesh must have a middle seam in front. The set 'Wilmap' made is not like that. If I can succeed, hopefully, I can make such a jersey as add-on to her set. But I have to start learn somewhere and I have no knowledge whatsoever! :blank:

Hexagon is installed and ready to use ... but the modeling (and learning) part is holding me back!

Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Laura

Post edited by launok on

Comments

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Hi, age has no bearing on learning, I'm a retired veteran and 3D modeling is like reading a good book it engages you to the point you loose track of time. If you are going to spend a lot of time in front of a computer I would make sure you get yourself a good computer chair rated for more that 6hrs, otherwise get an egg timer and use it to get up every hour and move around so you don't develop health problems. Oh and everything you learn to do in hexagon or silo has bearing in other modeling programs. Just find a modeler that you feel comfortable in and go to town. I would recommend doing a search on you-tube for Hexagon tutorials and start small. Take a small digital camera or download photos with different perspectives of what you want to model. You can then import these photos into modeler and use them as guides. I would suggest working on something you like or are interested it. Modeling is like working with electronic lego's just let you imagination go wild!

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited August 2014

I agree with Silver Dolphin's suggestions. But would like to recommend these (sets 1 to 4) -

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon-tutorials.php

I would recommend the one on making a book but they are all good :)

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 774
    edited August 2014

launok said:

My son-in-law got me some video tutorials by Fugazi1968, vendor at Renderosity, to learn modeling clothing items. I have the basics and had a look at them. But the only thing is I have no idea what happened to an old program of mine, Silo 2, which Fugazi mostly uses in the beginner parts of his "Tailoring" series. Can anyone tell me if there are much differences between Silo 2 and Hexagon 2.5 which I got from Daz3D? For instance, if I follow the videos demonstrated in Silo can I do those steps in Hexagon as well?

By the way, I also got his "Genesis Starter Kit" for Hexagon but haven't used that as well. I am actually interested in making a cyclist jersey which can open and close in the front, thus mesh must have a middle seam in front.

Hexagon is installed and ready to use ... but the modeling (and learning) part is holding me back!

Thank you for your advice on model making! Maybe I am climbing the ladder too high up in the 3D model creation field to start with clothing, lol.. But the videos I already have are for making clothing items for Genesis & Co. Some of them are demonstrated in Silo and some in Hexagon. Hexagon I have, but my copy of Silo 2 must be stored somewhere I have no idea, maybe still packed somewhere in a box when I have moved to my new location.

If I understand it correctly it means if I want to learn Fugazi's tutorials I can't follow along the steps written for Silo in Hexagon, unless I rather start learning it from the 'Genesis Starter Kit'!? Does this then mean the Silo video tuts are a waste if I can't find my program? At this point I am more interested in clothing, than props. OK, the other tutorial links you gave will come in handy when I want to create buildings, objects, etc. It also sounds if clothing creation is more complex for a beginner to start learning 3D?

I have downloaded many Hexagon tutorials over a period of time from YouTube as well as text tutorials which I have found at DeviantArt by Lelu, etc. But video or text tutorials of certain clothing items and parts of clothing, i.e. to make zippers, pockets, belts, laces on boots, buttons, etc. is hard to find but is all covered in Fugazi1968's Silo tutorials but unfortunately not for Hexagon it seems.

Thanks anyways,

Laura

Post edited by launok on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    edited December 1969

I'll also echo that the geek at play tutorials are a great way to start. Start building simple props and work your way up to more complicated items. It's the whole, situp, crawl, walk, run, natural development of skills.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

I have never tried Silo, but most 3D programs on a basic level work the same way.

I agree with FirstBastion's sit-up, crawl etc but I'd end the list with inspiration. If your project is something you are interested in (DIY - make a table and chair) combine both hobbies into one and you'll probably learn a lot faster.

• launoklaunok Posts: 774
    edited August 2014

Thank you for your replies which is much appreciated.

Well, since I do have the Genesis Starter Kit specifically for Hexagon, I will give it a go. I had a look at the product page where Fugazi said the way this tutorial series are set up is not only to create clothing on itself but also in such a way one can learn Hexagon at the same time. My online friend Wendy has taught herself from scratch clothing items first and later on the modeling of some items such as furniture. Where there is a will, there is always a way! She learned (Silo that is) the hard way by trial and error plus perseverance ... and succeeded! Well, she actually gave me much confidence to keep trying. We both started the 3D route of art creation as pensioners only, but one is never too old to learn! :)

Post edited by launok on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi launock - nice to see you posting here and getting into modelling :)