Changing Base Color for Hair

For most products in Daz, I can just change the base color in the surfaces tab and take care of changing the color. Thoguh it seems to be with various hair styles that I have, I'm not able to change the hair color even if there is a "base color" dial in the surfaces tab. Some of them don't even have one (news to me). So what are we to do when we have a hairstyle that we need, but it doesn't come with a materials pack that we can purchase and there's no base color dial in the surfaces tab? I'm sure that GIMP/Photoshop could handle fixing the color, but I just wanted to know why I couldn't change it when I can normally change the color of anything. 

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,806
    edited March 2021

With IRAY materials it´s indeed usually "Base Colour". Apply a light colour first, ideally white or light grey.

If the hair makes heavy use of "Top Coat", you might have to change that one, too.

Do not spend money on extra colours for specific hairs. If you have money to spend, get yourself a hair shader system, those will work with almost all hairs.

ColorWerks is popular, there are several others out there.

Some (not all) hairs have materials that can be saved as a shader and then applied to other hairs.

You probably have Aldora Hair for Genesis, which comes for free with the base program.

If you load Aldora Hair you will see that it uses texture maps that aren´t specific to its UV. The maps are textured all-over instead of showing individual locks of hair, does that make sense?

Select Aldora Hair, then select only one of its surfaces (eg. Bangs1).

If you work with IRAY, apply IRAY Uber shader.

Now Save As Shader Preset. When the menu with all the boxes shows up, deselect Cutout Opacity.

Now you have saved that particular colour for Aldora Hair as a shader that can be applied to most other hairs.

Here is Aldora´s Fuchsia material, applied to Miranda Hair:

(I did tweak the settings a bit for this result.)

01.jpg
    1017 x 743 - 401K
    02.jpg
    1007 x 675 - 351K
    03.jpg
    847 x 681 - 77K
    Post edited by Hylas on
  • Thanks for the tip! Let me try it and I'll let you know how it goes!