In need of file extractor reccomendations...

HyJinxHyJinx Posts: 172
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Good afternoon!

Apparently my 2 year old computer came with a "free 40 day trial" of WinRAR that didn't activate until I used it for the first time. I didn't have any problems with WinRAR, but now that the trial period has ended I'm considering other options. Could anyone recommend a good extractor, that will work for both .zip and .rar files, that as close to free as possible without loading my computer down with spyware and other undesirables? If anyone uses WinRAR, have you used other programs and found that it (WinRAR) really is worth paying for? I haven't followed the links they've provided yet, so I'm not sure of the current cost.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations!!

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

bduncan86 said:
    Good afternoon!

Apparently my 2 year old computer came with a "free 40 day trial" of WinRAR that didn't activate until I used it for the first time. I didn't have any problems with WinRAR, but now that the trial period has ended I'm considering other options. Could anyone recommend a good extractor, that will work for both .zip and .rar files, that as close to free as possible without loading my computer down with spyware and other undesirables? If anyone uses WinRAR, have you used other programs and found that it (WinRAR) really is worth paying for? I haven't followed the links they've provided yet, so I'm not sure of the current cost.

7-zip work good for me

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    bduncan86 said:
    Good afternoon!

7-zip work good for me
    I've used that as well, but am currently using PowerArchiver. It has a little nag screen at the bottom, but you can close it.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited December 1969

Another vote for the free 7-Zip. http://www.7-zip.org/

• HyJinxHyJinx Posts: 172
    edited December 1969

7-zip it is! Downloading now, thanks y'all!!

Miss B.- Did you have a problem with 7-zip, or just decide to try something new?

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

If I may, I see ALL really good utilities. Used 7-zip on two computers, played with "PowerArchiver" a tad, and purchased WinRar. That's a "Decision Dice" roll for me. It comes down to what interface you like.

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Just in case, this is my favorite one:
    http://www.izarc.org/

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

Windows 7 opens zip files inside windows explorer without the need of an extracter. I just double click on the downloaded zip file and it opens in a window and then I drag and drop the contents into therequired folders. Just makesurethat thezip extension isn't set to open with another program. I can't remember if it does rar files.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited July 2014

http://www.extractnow.com/

Extracts more than one file, can do quite exotic file formats, works for me.
    Edited to add: is free ... LOL

Post edited by Kerya on
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

ruekaka said:

Likewise. I've used IZArc for over a decade now - there's very little it can't do with bundled files.
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Windows built in zip utility can't handle zip files that contain 0 kb length files thus the need for third party option. Be careful when installing any free software as many of these companies are offsetting the cost by embedding sub- installers for other crap, like browser tool bars, to the main installer. Read everything and don't blindly click accept as you go through the install process.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Having tested 7-Zip against Winrar and iZarc, I have found that 7-Zip produces the smallest files, does so the quickest and has the smallest memory foot print while doing so.

Also it does not ask you to install anything else.

edited December 1969

bduncan86 said:
    7-zip it is! Downloading now, thanks y'all!!

Miss B.- Did you have a problem with 7-zip, or just decide to try something new?

Nope, new laptop, new software. 7-zip worked just fine.
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    ruekaka said:

Likewise. I've used IZArc for over a decade now - there's very little it can't do with bundled files.
    Bookmarked for future reference. :coolsmile:
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,722
    edited December 1969

I definitely think WinRAR is worth paying for, besides all upgrades aree free, and it also comes iin a 64 bit version. Have tried 7-zip, WinZip and others but didn't really like them.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited July 2014

I've been using 7zip since... let's see... 2010? I've found it adequate to my needs. I think it depends on what interface you prefer. (I use Blender, so I'm not what you'd call particular about interfaces. :D)

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

I think it depends on what interface you prefer. (I use Blender, so I'm not what you'd call particular about interfaces. :D)

~ROFL~ I can relate. :coolsmirk: