what the heck is a heirarchical material preset?

Under the "save as" options there is one called "hierarchical material(s) preset".
I was just wondering if any body knew what this is/does.
Haven't found an answer in the forums or on the web.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,811
    edited December 1969

It allows you to save materials for a hierarchy, as the name implies. So you can save a single setting for something like one of Jack Tomalin's sets, instead of having to have a materials preset for each item.

• edited December 1969

cool, playing with some of the stuff i haven't touched yet and just trying to figure it all out.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited October 2012

It allows you to save materials for a hierarchy, as the name implies. So you can save a single setting for something like one of Jack Tomalin's sets, instead of having to have a materials preset for each item.

Sounds great! Can you give an example of how to use it? I'm still puzzled about what items of the set get categorized as hierarchical and how they get associated together to apply to the set.

Edit: Oh, perhaps I am thinking of content type and not save as. Anyway, an example would help tremendously. Thanks.

Post edited by barbult on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,811
    edited December 1969

I used one of maclean's Room Creator exterior sets - a group of items parented to a single root item. When you save the Hierarchical Materials preset the options dialogue gives you a check list from which you can choose which to include.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited December 1969

I've been struggling with this, and I haven't gotten it to work yet. This is my process: (I hope the images appear in the right order!)

1) I loaded Clipboard.pp2 from the Doctor Accessories product. It has two parented items, ClipboardClip and ClipboardPaper. I applied the supplied DS presets, Clipboard Board.ds, Clipboard Clip.ds, and Clipboard Paper.ds.

2) I saved the hierarchical preset, checking the parent and the two children for inclusion.

3) I deleted the clipboard and added a new Clipboard.pp2 to my scene. I selected the new Clipboard and double clicked on my saved hierarchial preset. I got a message saying an error occurred reading the file and I should look at the log file. As far as I could tell, the material textures were not applied.

4) I looked at the log file. It was not very helpful to me. It said to see the log file for more details.

Any ideas where I went wrong?

4_log_file.JPG
    512 x 196 - 29K
    3_apply_hier_error.JPG
    949 x 722 - 106K
    2_Save_preset.JPG
    947 x 724 - 114K
    1_Scene_tab.jpg
    283 x 160 - 44K
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Just in case someone else comes across heirarchical and wonders about it...

I have been using an article of clothing today that has a mixture of H. Material and Material Presets.  The H. Material do not require me to drill down to the corresponding clothing piece for the material to apply.  The regular material preset does not change the appearance of the article of clothing until I drill down in the scene tab and select it.  It is a single piece of clothing, not a set of any sort.  

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited February 2021

One nice way to use Hierarchical Material Preset : 

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Answer

a right PITA if they don't also provide material loads for individual clothing items you don't want to use with the rest angry

this annoys me no end with some IMO lazy PAs, yes I do save my own after loading the clothing but in the middle of a big scene it is unappreciated when they could have set the product up well in the first place.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649

Let's take Eyelashes as an example :

If Eyelashes Material are saved as Hierarchical, the final user can select Genesis8 character and apply Eyelashes Material. 

If Eyelashes Materials are not saved as Hierarchical, then the final user needs to select the Eyelashes in his scene, not the G8F, to be able to apply the Material Preset. 

• Hello, 

I recently got the L4N4 HD Morph for Genesis 8 Females, and in the images it looks really nice, but I cannot figure out how to load the h.materials into it at all. Is there  a special way Im missing?

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952

thomashadfield said:

Hello, 

I recently got the L4N4 HD Morph for Genesis 8 Females, and in the images it looks really nice, but I cannot figure out how to load the h.materials into it at all. Is there  a special way Im missing?

L4N4 HD is broken and is missing a lot of files. I'm returning the product