Looking for help with new freebie. UPDATED 10/5/2012

BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381
edited October 2021 in Freebies

These are now available as a set of 17. Due to health problems I was not able to spend the time to make them articulate. Thought I'd better post them as is rather than never.

Link: Earring Props (renderosity.com)

Looking for some help with a new project.

I've created a set of twelve earring props for use in Daz Studio 4.15. But, before I release these, and based on comments I got after my last release (a stool) I'm looking for someone to look these over and see if my changes have been done correctly. Since this is a first time, so to speak, I'd like to make sure before I release them. So if anyone is interested in checking these out and offering help or suggestions for improvement please reply here with someplace I can send the link for the dropbox file location (I'd rather not just post the link yet).

The models were created in an engineering 3d modeling program that only creates obj files done with tris. As suggested I've converted these to quads and resaved the files as obj, fbx and blender files. Again, as suggested, I also changed the uv's to exploded ones that are separated into surfaces, then I saved a generated image of these files as 4000x4000 png files. What will actually show up with the models, I don't know since I don't know how to check. I have also included the original Pro/Engineer Wildfire 4 obj files.

I imported the fbx files into Daz, assigned shaders from the standard DAZ IRAY shaders (so these should load for anyone), renamed the surface names into a more descriptive names, positioned the props to where each ear should be with base G8(8.1)F model in the starting position. Please note that so that these may be used with other figures the props are not parented to the ears. Files were saved to the standard DAZ data and props directories.

The raw files have only generic colors assigned and the names are not informative.

The zipped file is about 68 megs in size.

Thanks,

BronzeDragon

Prospective freebies.

Post edited by BronzeDragon on

Comments

• Those look really nice, can't wait till they are finished and I can use them.

Unfortunately my computer is too old so can't use iray very well, so will have to wait for someone else to test these. Looks like fine work though.

• BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381
    edited February 2021

Faeryl Womyn,

Thanks for the comment, glad you think they look nice.

To be honest, I'm mostly interested if the models themselves work correctly, have the correct file locations stored for props, if the conversion to quads worked, and the new uvs are correct. Basically if the package works like it should. The IRAY part isn't so imporant, I used the standard DAZ ones so anyone could use them without having to get others. Any shader / texture / material could be applied. You could select your own then resave them so you could use them. After initial load which might be slow and the surface materials changed to your liking and saved when reloaded they should work just fine for you even on your old computer.

In fact, if you could point me to the standard DAZ 3Dlight files I might be able to make an alternate set of materials and include them in the set. I might even have a script to convert the materials back. I'll see what I can find. Sorry to be so vauge about the 3Delight stuff, it's be a very long time since I used it.

One of the reasons that there are no multiple options of materials even in IRAY is that they should be useable by anyone. Just apply whatever you like.

In fact, you could just import either the fbx or obj files, apply your materials, then save where you want and not have to worry about my file structure or the IRAY materials.

If you still might be interested let me know.

Again, thanks for the nice comments.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faeryl Womyn said:

Those look really nice, can't wait till they are finished and I can use them.

Unfortunately my computer is too old so can't use iray very well, so will have to wait for someone else to test these. Looks like fine work though.

Post edited by BronzeDragon on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

They look great, I'm happy to test them!

I know nothing about modelling though, so if I find a problem, I'd most likely not know how to solve it :/

• Ok I will give them a go if you want to send it to me. As for the 3dlight shaders, I think they come with Daz and are in the shader preset folder.

Yup just looked they are in the shader presets folder and in a folder called DS defaults

• Ferryl Womyn and Hylas,

Where do I send or upload or list the download link for the files?

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

I took a quick look at all the earrings. I'm afraid I don't have the time to do a proper render right now...

The items look nice and the material zones are well done!

Cone dangle bead and drop pear shape have a zone called null not used, which seems unnecessary. But it doesn't bother, either.

I only checked a few zones re UV mapping but the ones I did are well done.

IRAY materials load without problems.

They all load a bit to low for me. See attached screen shot, that's an unmorphed base G8F in zero pose.

I like that the rotation point is at the highest point of the hook.

It would be nice if there was a way to turn the earrings to the side without turning the hooks.
    Right now all the earrings "face forward", but I feel in real life earrings tend to face more to the side. Does that make sense?

In terms of personal taste, I think I like the Deco Leaves and the Circle Small Beads the best!
    Some of the designs look a little retro to me, they remind me of the 90es and 80es; but I really don't know much about jewellery trends so please take that opinion with a grain of salt.

I hope my feedback was helpful. Thank you for providing us with those wonderful freebies!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-13 um 16.12.04.png
    513 x 610 - 98K
  • Ok sent you a message

• Hylas,

Thanks for the comments. The null zone is result of the original model having a part color. Usually I use it as one of the color zones. If I forget and color all the areas with other colors the all part color remain even if it isn't actually used. That's why it's marked in the surfaces as not used. Will try to correct that. Have been working on trying to make the joint points rotate but after trying to folllow four different tuts I can get it to work, but still trying. I just must be dumb or something. It should be that hard. The engineering software is a two click add axis, three clicks to pick rotation and set it up. A couple of clicks to set the range of rotation and you're done. Funny you should pick the deco leaves as it is based on the oldest design, an art deco vase from the 1920's, also a hundred years old. The rest are all based on currebt design from in google images. Yes very much, it has given me so points to try and correct before they are offically released. Please feel free to use them now if you wish.

• Faeryl Womyn,

OK, got the message. Take all the time you need. I have plenty to try and fix already. As I told Hylas, please feel free to use them as they are if you want to until I get it all corrected and finally released.

• perlkperlk Posts: 847
    edited May 2021

These look great. I really like the deco leaves myself. My comments are mostly nit-picky:

• The earrings don't automatically parent to Genesis 8.1's head, making it fiddly to try to move them onto her ears correctly
    • The earrings aren't called "right" and "left" so you have to rename them or remember which is which if they need to move
    • Like Hylas posted, the rotation is a bit odd, I think you're working on that.

But check out my first render, I'll post more...

earrings-1.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by perlk on

Here's my second render. Other than the issues I noted above, I really dig these, they look awesome.

earrings-2.png
    1920 x 1440 - 4M

Perlk,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. No, you are right, they do not parent automatically. I did it that way so they will work other characters just as you say by moving them around as needed. I just tried both the G8 and G8.1 characters and the props are in the right position for the base model, in the base position. If you need to move them for your own preference adjust the y rotate parameter to 0 for the left side and -180 for the right side. That gives you a coordinate system square on to the basic figure, then you can chage them back to 20 and -200 if you want. Load the Base Figure, then the earings, I usually do them one at a time, then change the parent to the correct ear. They will then move with the model and stay in the same relative position if you change the character, either taller or shorter, or fatter, or thinner as the character you've choosen morphs the base G8.

2. Again correct as for the prop itself. In the prop directory they are marked as left and right. However, since they both use the same data file they have the same name in the tree. Inot sure how to fix that. I suppose that it would be possible to create two data sets and use one for one side and the other for the opposite. That would be a lot of work I think and would increase the size of the download a good bit. I'll look into it though. I never would have thought of that. I designed underground mining equipment before I retired, and if you used a part on both sides of the machine, assuming that there were no differences needed, you just turned them around. That what I did with these items since they are the same from front to back.

3. Yes I've been looking into making them articulated at each loop link, but I've not found a quick and dirty way to do it. Twelve earrings with multiple rotation points... well, you know!

I do like the renders. Funny thing is, I like the deco leaves best also. If you find anything else, please let me know. I'll be working on the problems. Besides I have five others for another set already done so it's that much more to do. I stopped making new ones untill I can fix the problems and the apply it to any further new ones. Might take awhile as my good days aren't as abundant as before (I'll be 72 come July).

Anyway, again, thanks for the feedback.

Perlk,

An image showing where the earrings should load on the base g8.1f. If yours don't look like this then I don't know. The other image is the base g8f with Mabel applied. Same earring location relative to the ear hole, but because Mabel has longer lobes the earring would need lowered. This why I didn't automatically parented to the figure.

base figure base pose base prop load.jpg
    800 x 800 - 250K
    mabel after conversion from g8.jpg
    800 x 800 - 242K

BronzeDragon said:

Perlk,

An image showing where the earrings should load on the base g8.1f. If yours don't look like this then I don't know. The other image is the base g8f with Mabel applied. Same earring location relative to the ear hole, but because Mabel has longer lobes the earring would need lowered. This why I didn't automatically parented to the figure.

This is good to know. I'm in the habit of usually posing my scene, then realizing it needs something extra and then adding things like earrings. I'll remember for these to put them in and parent them first, then pose. 

• Angela3DAngela3D Posts: 77

These are beautiful! 

Angela3D,

Thanks very much. I hope to have them done soon, but that will depend on figuring out how to make them articulate at the loop joints.  Because of that I've stopped working on set two, but attached is an image of what they are looking like.

Again, Thanks

second set so far.jpg
    1442 x 1524 - 456K
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,059

These are very nice earrings... Well done.  Hope you get all the bugz worked out.  I agree with what everyone else said ;) 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,743

Very nice work. I like not only your '20's inspired earrings, but the newer ones that looks almost Sci-Fi. 

If you haven't already planned to, may I suggest you add some thumbnail Document files that give the instructions for loading, parenting, etc... for unique figures as you explained above. That way, when a person is using the earrings, the thumbnails are there with them, as oppose to a .txt file that may or may not be read. 

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,291

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you BronzeDragon. Been trying to figure out what it is that's been bugging me about the earrings and frankly I'm surprised I didn't catch this earlier, since I've made earrings in real life.

The shape of the hook you have the decorations on is what's off. if you make it more like the image I attach, you also might find it easier to articulate.

download.jpg
    225 x 225 - 2K

Lola Lane,

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated. It doesn't look to good as to getting them finished. Can't find a good way to make all the joints flexible, at least for now.

memcneil70.

Thanks for the comment and for the suggestion. It is one that I never would have thought of on my own. Will look into it if I ever get them finished.

Faeryl Woman,

No problem with the time frame. Other than the shape of the hook, was every thing else ok?

As far as the hook goes, you may be correct. Most of the hooks I looked at are of that shape. Since I can't find ta picture of the exact shape I used as a base I've attached a couple of similar ones. Found these in a search of Google images.

Changing what I have would mean starting over from scratch. All the lower parts of the earring are based off of, and all measurements used for the construction of the lower parts are taken from the hook part.

earing findings 1.jpg
    225 x 225 - 3K
    earing findings 2.jpg
    225 x 225 - 2K
    earing findings 3.jpg
    225 x 225 - 7K
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,291
    edited June 2021

I've never seen hooks like that before. If I was making them again in real life I would not use that design. As for your earrings, they did work fine and took 3dl shaders no problem.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • Hi BronzeDragon, from a quick look & play with some other earrings, it maybe a lack of a third part to rotate/twist/bend, that maybe part of your 'problem'. I'd be happy to take a proper look, if you want to send me a copy of your files. I like the look of the ones you've done so far....

medievalpirate said:

Hi BronzeDragon, from a quick look & play with some other earrings, it maybe a lack of a third part to rotate/twist/bend, that maybe part of your 'problem'. I'd be happy to take a proper look, if you want to send me a copy of your files. I like the look of the ones you've done so far....

Thanks medievalpirate, appreciate the comment, and sorry for the late reply, but as I've said above, my good days aren't as often as they used to be. I'm pretty sure that all my earrings have parts that would rotate in at least one dimension, and usually all three, at least to a degree. Each one has at least one loop link that would provide rotation around the center of the connecting loop following the loop wire, and would also rotate around the wire itself, and tilt relative to the two wires to a small degree. I don't think that is the problem. The real problem is actually doing it. I've looked at a number of different tuts on how to make them rotate, but none are easy and would require a very large amount of time to do for all the earrings and all the rotation points in each one (at least a hundred such rotations in total, so far). That's where the holdup is, but thanks for the offer anyway.

Regards,

• See top post as these have been posted.

• They look most impressive. Not used them yet, but I will. Thank you very much. Regards, Richard.