Shader behavior when animating with bones vs. just moving the object.

I found something I wasn't expecting, when I animated an object by just moving it through the scene everything was fine, but when I added bones to the object and used the bones to animate the object suddenly the shader starts to 'move' as if it were a global shader.  Now I use the 'cellular' setting which i notice doesn't have a local/global setting, but it didn't seem to affect anything when just animating the object alone.

Are there any settings I may be missing or something I don't understand about animating with bones?

Thanks!

Comments

• If you are using a procedural shader then this wraps around the mesh - change the mesh with bones and the wrapping changes...

To fix this you will need to ensure that you are using a texture map to set the shader to the faces of the mesh. This way however you manipulate the faces (morphs, bones, etc) the map sticks to each vertex and won't move.

Hope that helps...

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

ok thanks, I'll try that.

• I don't think I explained it clearly...

When I said 'procedural' I meant projected and when I said 'texture map' I meant UV mapped co-ordinates. If your model doesn't have UV co-ordinates then applying a texture map to it will move if the underlying mesh is changed through bones, morphs, etc.

Sorry, I must be tired!

Yeah I knew what you meant :)

Does this mean I can't use procedural textures?

Just found that Shaders Plus 'Procedural Lock' does the trick.

• also depends if the procedural is local or global

Global/Local doesn't seem to make a difference when animating with a boned object.  First thiing I tried was Local, though it is not available on some shader functions, such as Cellular.  Mind you I was playing around with so many things I could have missed the right combination...

• mschack said:

Just found that Shaders Plus 'Procedural Lock' does the trick.

This is good to know! I have yet to experiment with this pack...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

Agreed! I actually stopped using procedural shader on characters clothing becuse of this phenomenon. Knowing that Procedural Lock works (and remembering that it's there, thanks to Eric W) really Rocks!

Thanks mschak!

• I bake my procedurals with Inagoni Baker ( not so easy now to get for those without it sadly)

• I do too, but there's a problem Inagoni Baker doesn't give you a margin or blend area and can result in a nasty hard edge when exporting your model and maps - Great inside Carrara only though... Still love Carrara heart

It's really easy, just stick the procedureal lock into the top shader...

procedural lock.PNG
    638 x 303 - 61K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,686

Good to know !!!

• Had to have a little play with the Procedural Lock...

Original Shape...

Deformed with bones and morphs (just for Wendy - LOL)

I've been thinking to make a 'Carrara Tips' thread for things such as this.  Does anyone think this would be useful? ...and if it doesn't already exist of course.

• What I would really like is a better way to find things on this forum - the search box needs to be more specific and accept strings - "This is an exact phrase" or more than one search term "This" AND "That" I don't have the energy to trundle through pages and pages of irrelevant search results. How about stipulating the date range of the post, etc....

Yeah that would be nice.  I'm sure there is tons of great stuff buried in all these threads.  Part of the reason to make a dedicated thread for tips, though that is not perfect either if it grows really large.