(Released) Materia MeshMaker plug-in

Comments

• Just got this product and it is great but I also immediatly got myself stuck in a "no geometry could be produced" error loop that I can't stop because I can't change the settings due to the error...

• Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Uthgard said:

Congratulations on it finally being released! Shame I am away from my rendering computer, because I would have spent the day playing with this.

Seeing the promos, it occurs to me this could be used to make quite convincing foam, maybe even on the crest of a wave if the controls allow for such fine tuning... Darn, I wanna play...

And not only foam, one could use any procedural shader and make a use for reproducing water, mud, lava... ice cream... And if needed, the generated mesh can be easily exported and elaborated further, or I suppose even using Meshgrabber within Studio...

You do realize now I have instantly switched from anxiously waiting for the plugin to eagerly awaiting for your expansion pack, don't you? At this rate, I am going to bill you my industrial amount of chamomile tea.

• Daugueffxi said:

Just got this product and it is great but I also immediatly got myself stuck in a "no geometry could be produced" error loop that I can't stop because I can't change the settings due to the error...

Probably the settings you have chosen are not able to build any amount of geometry. That can happen if, for example, you use a small blob size and a high minimum distance: in that occasion the blobs produced are too far to be interconnected and... no geometry can be produced.
    Should that happen, you can try to pick a premade preset from the combobox, like a 1mt plane for example, and that should set you back to a default condition.

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687
    edited February 2021

Unfortunately, I am having problems with the installation.

I installed the shaders from the .zip file, and then ran the installer.

When I load Daz Studio, I get the following message:

F:/Windows Folders/Documents/Daz 3d/Studio path not found.

Please create the folder and try again, or contact support.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing from DIM but still the same.

Is there a file that I can search for to edit this path to the correct one?

EDIT: A bit more information - the files seem to have installed in the correct places.

I have a file named MateriaMeshMakerPlugin.dll and a folder named MateriaAM both installed in E:\Graphics Programs\Daz Studio\plugins

Post edited by Dim Reaper on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Congrats, Alessandro, another masterpiece of yours, released:

https://www.daz3d.com/materia-meshmaker-plug-in-for-daz-studio

• Dim Reaper said:

Have you tried manually creating the suggested folder? You can email me if you like, we can check what's wrong. email is [email protected]

Dim Reaper said:

Have you tried manually creating the suggested folder? You can email me if you like, we can check what's wrong. email is [email protected]

I've just tried that and it worked.  The program created a couple of folders and files in there and now everything seems to be working.  This is the downside of my not having a default/standard installation of Daz Studio. 

Thank you for the very prompt reply.  Now I can go and experiment with this interesting new product.

• Dim Reaper said:

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Dim Reaper said:

I've just tried that and it worked.  The program created a couple of folders and files in there and now everything seems to be working.  This is the downside of my not having a default/standard installation of Daz Studio. 

Thank you for the very prompt reply.  Now I can go and experiment with this interesting new product.

You are welcome, I'm glad it's solved!

• DripDrip Posts: 1,125

This looks more than awesome and extremely versatile! Can't wait for more shaders either (foam, slime, sand, I think even simple cloth could generate interesting things, but gladly, there's plenty of cloth shaders available throughout the store already)

In the basket, and I advice everybody to do so!

I didn't watch all the videos yet, so just one question (The answer won't affect me buying this, it's already too useful, but more info helps estimating how valuable this product will be): are there settings to affect how "bubble" or "tight" the mesh will wrap around the target? I just figure, that something like snow or foam would have a bit more "clumps", while something more liquid like slime or lava would have to look a bit flowing and thin.

• Purchased, downloaded, installed. To echo others: Thank you, Alessandro, for another great product.

Tim

• I'm glad you folks find it interesting, it's a pity there is no gallery available but I'll be curious to see your experiments and renders, if you like to post them here.
    I think it's indeed a very useful tool, I used it in many occasions already and you will love next updates and improvements. Materia will expand in other directions and features...

• Drip said:

This looks more than awesome and extremely versatile! Can't wait for more shaders either (foam, slime, sand, I think even simple cloth could generate interesting things, but gladly, there's plenty of cloth shaders available throughout the store already)

In the basket, and I advice everybody to do so!

I didn't watch all the videos yet, so just one question (The answer won't affect me buying this, it's already too useful, but more info helps estimating how valuable this product will be): are there settings to affect how "bubble" or "tight" the mesh will wrap around the target? I just figure, that something like snow or foam would have a bit more "clumps", while something more liquid like slime or lava would have to look a bit flowing and thin.

Hi @Drip, I'll give a bit of technical explanation about Materia's mode operation. If you look at the attached image, basically blobs (i.e. the generated spheres) are occupying a volume and get interconnected. So what you say might be achieved but requires increasing the number of points (and so blobs) and use a small radius. That way, the higher the blob population and the lower the blob radii, you can get a thinner surface.
    I've done something similar in one of the promo images, the one with my log cabin: see how the roof is covered with snow. In future updates I will include other mesh generation techniques and methods which will cover lot more of surface generation possibilities, like stalactites, stalagmites, crystals, improved water surfaces and more. Cheers

dJD54hn.png
    640 x 640 - 93K
  • galiengalien Posts: 136

Interesting product.  I look forward to seeing what I can do with this on it's own, and in combination with Fluidos.

One question: when I click on the "live" and "overlay" buttons, there's no visual indication of whether they are toggled on or off.  In the videos, these turn gray when you click on them.  I wonder whether this is due to the workspace settings I have, or is everyone seeing this?

• galien said:

Interesting product.  I look forward to seeing what I can do with this on it's own, and in combination with Fluidos.

One question: when I click on the "live" and "overlay" buttons, there's no visual indication of whether they are toggled on or off.  In the videos, these turn gray when you click on them.  I wonder whether this is due to the workspace settings I have, or is everyone seeing this?

Can you show a screenshot of what your workspace looks like? Thanks

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

Looks amazing, as per the norm for you

Can't wait to give it a spin when I get home! Also can't wait to see what you do with this in the future as well, as this looks like it would have a lot more potential applications outside of snow. Great work!

• This looks awesome, Alessandro! How soon will we see a Mac version?

~ Russ  

galien said:

Screen shot attached - live is toggled on, overlay is toggled off and both look the same.

materia_screen.png
    1231 x 767 - 239K
  • galien said:

galien said:

Screen shot attached - live is toggled on, overlay is toggled off and both look the same.

Thanks, can you tell me what workspace layout and style are you using?

• RLSprouse said:

This looks awesome, Alessandro! How soon will we see a Mac version?

~ Russ  

Hopefully in 2,3 weeks. It's becoming increasingly difficult to develop on a Mac platform...

• vukiolvukiol Posts: 66

just to share my experience

installed it via exe, then via DIM,

but DS was giving a writing permission error on the Documents/user/Daz 3d/Studio/MateriaAM

now i fixed it but dont know how exactly, i tried everything about user permissions to fix the read only issue of w10 (my ggl query)

im 99% sure i didnt give any OK even ive test any option

turned off silent mode on avast

restarted ds several time till avast promped me to allow ds to access the folder

works like a charm now, great stuff :)

• vukiolvukiol Posts: 66
    edited February 2021

Dim Reaper said:

EDIT: A bit more information - the files seem to have installed in the correct places.

I have a file named MateriaMeshMakerPlugin.dll and a folder named MateriaAM both installed in E:\Graphics Programs\Daz Studio\plugins

check my comment here above, as mentioned, i dont know how i fixed it

if i am not worng, probably that MateriaAM folder is a temporary folder where the mesh cache will be written and need writing permission

i repeat, i dont know how i fixed it, thats just a hint not a solution, dont push randomly buttons like i am used to do :D

and maybe Alessandro will give us more hints

Post edited by vukiol on
  • 3dTox3dTox Posts: 82

The shader itself is rather interesting.  Just a few minutes of tweaking dials and changing colors produced these results.  I see many possibilities when I have more time to play around with it.

shader.jpg
    868 x 881 - 420K

galien said:

galien said:

I think that it started off as City Limits (Lite), but has been tweaked over the years.

If others aren't seeing this, then it's a Daz Studio issue rather than a problem with your plug-in.  The buttons still work, I just have to remember which state they are in.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,991
    edited February 2021

Before I make a purchase - is this one of those plugins that have to have the latest edition of D/S installed before they'll work right?

And will the shader also work on a previous edition?

I'm using D/S4.12 at the moment.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Catherine3678ab said:

Before I make a purchase - is this one of those plugins that have to have the latest edition of D/S installed before they'll work right?

I think I had 4.13 when I started developing it, and I am quite confident it will run on previous versions as well. You could eventually buy, try and return it if doesn't work.

• 3dTox said:

The shader itself is rather interesting.  Just a few minutes of tweaking dials and changing colors produced these results.  I see many possibilities when I have more time to play around with it.

It's fully procedural, try also what happens changing noise layers scale/levels/seed. Lot of variations and possibilities there...

Catherine3678ab said:

I think I had 4.13 when I started developing it, and I am quite confident it will run on previous versions as well. You could eventually buy, try and return it if doesn't work.

Okay, thank you :-) 

• Lovely, it works in D/S4.12 :-)

Alessandro Mastronardi Are we allowed to share the mesh along with whatever else it is we are sharing. For example snow peaked mountains?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,991
    edited February 2021

galien said:

galien said:

galien said:

I think that it started off as City Limits (Lite), but has been tweaked over the years.

If others aren't seeing this, then it's a Daz Studio issue rather than a problem with your plug-in.  The buttons still work, I just have to remember which state they are in.

In my setup, they show blue when on, and grey when off.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217

instant buy for me.  If i stop being lazy i will post something i make with it.