DAZ PAs at Siggraph - August 7,8,9

Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
edited July 2012 in The Commons

DAZ has handed over the keys to me and other DAZ published artists to run their booth for them at Siggraph at the Los Angeles Convention Center August 7, 8 and 9.
Here's your chance to meet some of your favorite vendors and see the very latest technologies and advances in digital art.

For more information or Basic and Full Conference passes go to the Siggraph 2012 website

Some free "exhibits only" passes may still be available at:

PNY Graphics
Motion Media
Pixologic
3D3 Solutions

Drop by and say hello... we're at booth #217

Post edited by Songbird ReMix on

Comments

• Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited December 1969

Published Artists (so far) that will be at booth (for at least one of the three days)

- Dimension Theory
    - Faveral
    - Ken Gilliland
    - Nerd 3D
    - Phoenix1966
    - Ryverthorn

and more to be announced!

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Don't forget to take some pictures! Those of us only there in spirit will want to see!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Don't forget to take some pictures! Those of us only there in spirit will want to see!

YES!!! We'd like to see lots and lots of pictures. :-)
  • ryverthornryverthorn Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

Nooooooooooo no pictures :P

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

ooooohh come on, you know you want your picture taken for all the forum to see. ROFL!

edited December 1969

Ken quickly decides to take the pictures-- so he's behind the camera and not in front on it

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

I'm willing to pay the rest of you, if you can get Ken into a bird suit and get pictures!

Just think we could start a whole new definition of booth booby (preferably Blue-footed, they're the sexiest).

Hope you all have a great time!

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ken in a bird-suit. Now that would be awesome, and true at the same time!

Have fun, and please post pictures.

• edited December 1969

I so want to go to Siggraph this year. The thought of driving to LA though -- I have to look to see if there are shuttles to the convention center. If Ken is in a bird costume, all the better, :P

edited August 2012

fivecat said:
    I so want to go to Siggraph this year. The thought of driving to LA though -- I have to look to see if there are shuttles to the convention center. If Ken is in a bird costume, all the better, :P

I probably won't be in a bird suit, but I'll wear at least wear my Blue-footed Booby shirt on one of the days :)

Getting there...
    In years past, I'm avoided the downtown traffic by taking the Metro system-- for me to Red line to the Blue line (off on Pico)-- about 2 blocks from the convention center. Besides avoiding traffic, it's still $5 for a "Day Pass" and that's easier on the pocketbook when you consider Convention Center parking.

• tmdoray_8f0ea9a219tmdoray_8f0ea9a219 Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Cool - I see you cats there!

Metro is definitely one of the better options if you are not intimately familiar with driving around downtown LA.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,697
    edited December 1969

I'll stop by and say hi. I will miss saying hi to Dan Farr though who usually goes!

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey Wonderland, the render at the Facebook of yours reminds me of Neve Campbell.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442

Back in 2007-2008 I was there for DAZ3D old school before DAN and chris sold DAZ do you still have the video's ken of that year...? If you do please send them to me seems I lost the video's on a hard drive crash

• I dug through some old files and found this photo...

siggraph2010-2.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

I'm trying to remember... this (2012) was the last year that DAZ had a booth at SIGGRAPH, wasn't it?  I was thrown off by the picture as I remembered a much more austere presentation, but then I realized that the picture is dated from an earlier SIG in 2010.   

• HeavyRayHeavyRay Posts: 170

Songbird ReMix said:

I dug through some old files and found this photo...

Any chance of a caption spelling out who's who in the pic?? 

edited March 2023

"...was the last year that DAZ had a booth at SIGGRAPH, wasn't it? "

That was the last year the DAZ brass went, but they did purchase a booth in 2012 before the changing of the guard, and decided not to go.  I, with a small group of SoCal local DAZ PAs, volunteered and ran it that final time.  The new heads of DA did show up, informally there, one day of the show. Besides me, I remember DAZ PAs Ryverthorn, Nerd3D, and Phoenix1966 running the booth.

"Any chance of a caption spelling out who's who in the pic?? "

Let's see how good my memory is....

Top Row Left to Right:  Charles and Linda Taylor (aka Nerd3D), Wendy (aka Ryverthorn), Kevin Petersen (DAZ PA Rep), the two brothers (can't remember their names), me (in my promise blue-footed booby t-shirt).

Bottom Row: First two can't remember their names (Blaine?), Steve Kondris (DAZ Marketing) and of course Dan Farr (DAZ founder and owner)

Yes, there was a video of the DAZ Siggraph party but I don't know who posted it and I don't have a copy.  It had Kevin doing a stand-up comedy rountine and Chris Creek (the other DAZ founder/owner) in his infamous zoot suit hosting a door prize game. 

In 2015, I did have the Nerd3Ds, Ryverthorn, Chris Creek and Paul Lessard stay with me (in our house/guest house) for the 2015 Siggraph show. Pictured: Paul Lessard, Chris Creek and Wendy (Ryverthorn) having breakfast (Swedish pancakes and sausage) on my front porch.

DSC_3185.JPG
    1494 x 1000 - 214K
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,697

I was there at Siggraph I think it was that same year, when Dan Farr first introduced a secret demo of Genesis on his laptop (which was incompatible with Poser at the time) and the PAs did not seem happy and when DAZ official people left with all their signage, the head of marketing for Poser brought over a big Poser sign and put it by the DAZ booth and everybody thought it was really funny. Dan also invited me to dinner with the staff and PAs that year! 

• HeavyRayHeavyRay Posts: 170

Ken - The pics (and captions) are MUCH appreciated.   Love "putting a name to a face" as well as geez about the 'Good Old Days (at 70, I do that alot!)     ;-)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Have fun. I was a member of Siggraph as a senior at University but then real bills took precedence after I started working.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

Songbird ReMix said:

"...was the last year that DAZ had a booth at SIGGRAPH, wasn't it? "

That was the last year the DAZ brass went, but they did purchase a booth in 2012 before the changing of the guard, and decided not to go.  I, with a small group of SoCal local DAZ PAs, volunteered and ran it that final time.  The new heads of DA did show up, informally there, one day of the show. Besides me, I remember DAZ PAs Ryverthorn, Nerd3D, and Phoenix1966 running the booth.

"Any chance of a caption spelling out who's who in the pic?? "

Let's see how good my memory is....

Top Row Left to Right:  Charles and Linda Taylor (aka Nerd3D), Wendy (aka Ryverthorn), Kevin Petersen (DAZ PA Rep), the two brothers (can't remember their names), me (in my promise blue-footed booby t-shirt).

Bottom Row: First two can't remember their names (Blaine?), Steve Kondris (DAZ Marketing) and of course Dan Farr (DAZ founder and owner)

Yes, there was a video of the DAZ Siggraph party but I don't know who posted it and I don't have a copy.  It had Kevin doing a stand-up comedy rountine and Chris Creek (the other DAZ founder/owner) in his infamous zoot suit hosting a door prize game. 

In 2015, I did have the Nerd3Ds, Ryverthorn, Chris Creek and Paul Lessard stay with me (in our house/guest house) for the 2015 Siggraph show. Pictured: Paul Lessard, Chris Creek and Wendy (Ryverthorn) having breakfast (Swedish pancakes and sausage) on my front porch.

Yep.  I remember being there in 2012 and the whole Genesis not working in Poser issue was really starting to explode...   On the plus side, I did pick up some ridiculously good deals on boxed versions of some of the software, including the big Reby Sky resource box. How's that for a flash from the past?