HOW DO I PACKAGE UP FREEBIES TO SHARE?

Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,006
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi Everyone...
ok.. I give up... This is my last resort...
I have been looking for 2 years for someone/a tutorial.. anything... on HOW to package up a runtime for me to share items with people... I have loads of textures.. object files.. gifts to share with people but I have NO idea HOW to package them up. I'm NOT looking for zipping.. I know how to do that... Would SOMEONE please help me??? Thank you!
Llola :)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Moved to the Commons because it is a query about, not an offer of, freebies.

What Program are you making the freebies for?

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited July 2014

I need a little more info

is the freebie for Daz Studio or Poser or both

a quick way to get the idea of the runtime structure is to download a freebie and take a look at how it is packed up.

but the basic run down of the folder structure is

Top level

Runtime

Geometries (inside this your named folder with obj)

Textures

Libraries (second level inside) all folders in second level will have your own named folder inside. you can add the DS ones here as well

Camera (for Poser camera's)

Character (for figures)

Face (for face poses)

Hair (for prop hair)

Hand (for hand poses)

Light (light sets)

Materials (MC6 material room mat poses) DS mat poses can go here

Pose (pz2 poses) DS mat poses can go here

Props (prop files)

I tend to make a set of empty files on my desk top first (following the file structure) then copy all the relevant files to each folder.

EDIT: And you only have to use the folders you need and you can skip the ones you don't want.

Post edited by NeilV_1 on
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,006
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Moved to the Commons because it is a query about, not an offer of, freebies.

What Program are you making the freebies for?

Oh thank you Chohole... I wasn't sure where to put it :)

I'm wanting to give freebies to DAZ people.. Poser people... like they do on ShareCG...Rendo.. etc... I just need to know how to make a RUNTIME :)

edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    I need a little more info

is the freebie for Daz Studio or Poser or both

a quick way to get the idea of the runtime structure is to download a freebie and take a look at how it is packed up.

but the basic run down of the folder structure is

Top level

Runtime

Geometries (inside this your named folder with obj)

Textures

Libraries (second level inside) all folders in second level will have your own named folder inside. you can add the DS ones here as well

Camera (for Poser camera's)

Character (for figures)

Face (for face poses)

Hair (for prop hair)

Hand (for hand poses)

Light (light sets)

Materials (MC6 material room mat poses) DS mat poses can go here

Pose (pz2 poses) DS mat poses can go here

Props (prop files)

I tend to make a set of empty files on my desk top first (following the file structure) then copy all the relevant files to each folder.

EDIT: And you only have to use the folders you need and you can skip the ones you don't want.

Thank you NeilV... I've grabbed literally THOUSANDS of freebies from various places... I have to move my files to each folder manually??? There's no program that will grab the files for me??? Ughh.. I've been trying... I guess it will get easier with doing it.. but I know I'm missing something.. I need a step 1...step 2.. etc.. set of instructions... Do I save items as a PROP/CHARACTER Preset or Asset??? Don't I need them in Llola Lane folder for people to find them??? I'm not sure I'm even saving things right.. Maybe I could use this thread for a test runtime.. Is that allowed??? You all can be my guinea pigs? :)

edited December 1969

oops.. forgot to answer you Neil... for BOTH ... Daz (I have DAZ4.6) AND Poser (I have poser9)

edited December 1969

With my freebies. mostly textures only, I have a blank runtime set up. I make sure that all my textures are made in a folder called chohole and then subfolders for the set. I do the same with the mat poses and/or materials, make them in a folder caaled much the same as the texture folder. I then copy and paste these folders into the correct place in the blank runtime and zip the runtime.. That is of course for Poser only.

Neil re-does the zip to add the DS settings, which he does for me.

So the first image is how the zip (I use WinRar) looks

The 2nd images is how it is packed, with the first set being DS and the 2nd runtime being the Poser one

packing_up_3.jpg
    226 x 373 - 65K
    packing_up_1.jpg
    650 x 248 - 119K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    With my freebies. mostly textures only, I have a blank runtime set up. I make sure that all my textures are made in a folder called chohole and then subfolders for the set. I do the same with the mat poses and/or materials, make them in a folder caaled much the same as the texture folder. I then copy and paste these folders into the correct place in the blank runtime and zip the runtime.. That is of course for Poser only.

Neil re-does the zip to add the DS settings, which he does for me.

So the first image is how the zip (I use WinRar) looks

The 2nd images is how it is packed, with the first set being DS and the 2nd runtime being the Poser one

Thank you Cho... I guess I'm just gonna have to put one together and see if it works.. I have a feeling though.. If things don't go in the right folder.. error messages are going to come up... (sighs)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...now if it is a freebie for Genesis wouldn't the setup have to be...

My Library/Daz/Data/People/Genesis (or Genesis2fFemale/male)?...

...for other Daz specific content

My Library/Daz/Runtime/Libraries...

...and for textures

My Library/Daz/Runtime/Textures...

edited December 1969

Probably. As I only set Poser mine are all set up for Poser figures, but it does give a general guideline.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...good, just need to know I'm on the right track for Genesis and Daz only content.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...now if it is a freebie for Genesis wouldn't the setup have to be...

My Library/Daz/Data/People/Genesis (or Genesis2fFemale/male)?...

...for other Daz specific content

My Library/Daz/Runtime/Libraries...

...and for textures

My Library/Daz/Runtime/Textures...

you don't want the data in the path and as far as I know you do not have the My Library in the path ether I know some people do but it can make unzipping a pain. so you would have:
    /People/Genesis (or Genesis2fFemale/male)
    /Runtime/Libraries...
    /Runtime/Textures

if you do want to put it in a My Library folder it would be:
    My Library/People/Genesis (or Genesis2fFemale/male)
    My Library/Runtime/Libraries...
    My Library/Runtime/Textures

edited December 1969

llolalane said:
    oops.. forgot to answer you Neil... for BOTH ... Daz (I have DAZ4.6) AND Poser (I have poser9)

I would suggest saving in the poser runtime format and just saving DS mats with the same name as the poser ones its a lot easer and then put them in the pose and or Materials folder.

Do I save items as a PROP/CHARACTER Preset or Asset???

what are you trying to save and then I might be able to help more.
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    llolalane said:

I would suggest saving in the poser runtime format and just saving DS mats with the same name as the poser ones its a lot easer and then put them in the pose and or Materials folder.

Do I save items as a PROP/CHARACTER Preset or Asset???

what are you trying to save and then I might be able to help more.

Hi Neil... I'm trying to runtime a Christmas Tree I made... so an object... if I use PRESET... then Poser people can't use it.. right??? So I figured I need to ASSET it as a PROP? I don't know... I'm getting more confused as I go along... I know I'm not doing it right... I've not even tried Poser for packaging yet. (sighs)

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2014

Props are saved as Figure/Prop Asset and placed in the Props folder

When I pack my Daz items I have a folder that I drop the various items into:

Data/"your name"/"Item name"/individual items here

People/"Figure"/Clothing/"your name"/"Item name"/individual items here

Props/"your name"/"Item name"/individual items here

Runtime/textures/"your name"/individual items here

Read Me

Picture

All zipped up so when unzipped it will go in correct folders.

Hope this helps

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

ok.. I'm reeeeeeeally missing something here... I've tried what you all said and I gave my tree to a friend.. he got an error message right away that the tree was in a folder on MY computer... so you all are not telling me EVERYTHING... It's not finding the tree in the geometry folder.. it's looking for it in a folder that is on my computer.. so I was right... DO I NEED TO put EVERYTHING in my Llola Lane Designs Runtime folder... BEFORE I save it to asset??? I can't believe this is so difficult to do... it's like pulling teeth to try and get information... I have things to share.... but no one can tell me HOW!!!!!! (sighs) Is there a tutorial how to set up a runtime somewhere that I can look??? (sighs)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

All Assets is DAZ Studio are data files... there are ZERO object files for Poser side file use until you save one. A Prop is a Asset data file, a dress is a Asset data file, a morph is a Asset data file. To create Poser files the proper converters and file creation plugin files are needed such as the older PP2 file creator or the PFE one.

As for Proper paths in DAZ Studio they are relative. So Yes all files need saved TOO a mapped content folder that is IN USE by the user at the time the files are saved. This forces the Default TOP level folder path into the Save path, and that forces any top level file path another user my have to also be a valid path (relative). So my Folder may read D: My DAZ 3D Lib and yours may read C:Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library and both paths look the same to DAZ Studio. Top level Mapped folders. The Content will work in either one as long as it was saved in a active Mapped content folder. I often just build a 100% clean DAZ Folder to save just work to. Please note this the TOP Daz studio mapped folder is supposed to be the data save folder. Most of the time it is but can change if the user loads from a different folder before a save.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

This is my own little tutorial on the matter

Dealing With Zipped Poser Content
    http://www.mediafire.com/?oqcf29kmigzd3gk

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

I would love to look Matty but it will not let me get the PDF without getting Tourch. That's just is not going to happen on my PC. These things are normally easy to get past. This bugger just insists I need it.
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited July 2014

If you want the prop to be Poser user friendly it needs to be saved in Poser format files from Poser.

To MattyManx: Your tut makes a mistake about DAZ Studio libraries, specifically the line about the "Content" folder. This is not the primary folder as DAZ does not have a primary folder like Poser's "Runtime".

Post edited by jestmart on
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    If you want the prop to be Poser user friendly it needs to be saved in Poser format files from Poser.
    Best bet now days yes. Even just a lower level version like P9 will handle that well. Even I have gone that route to do things now days.
    edited December 1969

Is anyone awake that would be willing to be a guinea pig for me??? I have a runtime ready but I can't post a .zip file here.. I'll have to send it to you via PM... A few people is fine.. :) thank you!!! Hugzzzzzzz

edited December 1969

or e-mail :)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited July 2014

Jaderail said:
    Mattymanx said:

http://www.mediafire.com/?oqcf29kmigzd3gkI would love to look Matty but it will not let me get the PDF without getting Tourch. That's just is not going to happen on my PC. These things are normally easy to get past. This bugger just insists I need it.

I have no script running along with adblock+ and I dont see any adverts or am forced to download anything.

To MattyManx: Your tut makes a mistake about DAZ Studio libraries, specifically the line about the "Content" folder. This is not the primary folder as DAZ does not have a primary folder like Poser's "Runtime".

Yes and no. It does not matter what you call it really but its the folder that contains the Data folder and the people folder and the runtime folder (for DS textures). Afterall, you have to put it somewhere.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited July 2014

Mattymanx said:
    Jaderail said:
    Mattymanx said:

I would love to look Matty but it will not let me get the PDF without getting Tourch. That's just is not going to happen on my PC. These things are normally easy to get past. This bugger just insists I need it.

I have no script running along with adblock+ and I dont see any adverts or am forced to download anything. ...
    I tried also (and I'm also using NoScript). I had to enable mediafire.com scripts (only) then it gave me the link to download top-right of the dialog that advertises their download manager (or whatever). PDF came down with no problems.

I can help, Llola, if you still need guinea pigs (^_^)n.

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

ok.. I guess I can't sent zips in PM either.. if anyone is willing to give me their e-mail.. I'd appreciate the help.. I PROMISE .. NOT... to send you any junk mail... I would hope you would promise to NOT... do the same :) Thank you!

edited December 1969

kk.. I have a room over at PFDLives... I put my zipped tree there... ANYONE can be my guinea pig now... If you are awake... Here's the link... Let me know if you can see the tree.. it is a PROP... the Poser files may not work.. I think I'm missing something.. I'll figure it out tomorrow.. I'm tired.. please leave me a reply here .. Thanks... HAPPY CHRISTMAS IN JULY!!!
    http://www.pfddelights.com/index.php?topic=818.0

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited December 1969

I downloaded it, had to install by hand, the file structure isn't quite right.
    There's no data so it loaded in with an error, and came in as grey block.
    I have to walk the dog but will go over it more when I get back.

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited July 2014

Related question - how do you control where files go in the data/ subdir (eg having "user name / product name /" in there). Is that done manually, or is there some hidden setting...

... nvm found it :D. In the File -> SaveAs... -> Support Asset... -> (whatever type), the dialog pops up after to ask for Vendor Name and Product Name (oh and Item Name too ^_^).

----8<----</p>

I shifted the directories about (put Geometries/ under Runtime/, and combined Props/ into Runtime/libraries/Props/), constructed a dsf file by importing the .obj and saving it as a scene, then rejigged the .duf to refer to the new .dsf element ID, and it did work in DS-4.6. Not sure about the Poser DSON side though...

demoTree-2.png
    512 x 512 - 508K
    Post edited by M F M on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited July 2014

You should remove the vanity folder (the one with your name) and the My Library folder. Since this is saved as a Studio DSON format there is no need for a Geometries folder. If it was a Poser format pp2 prop that did not have the geometry embedded then the Geometries folder would be needed and it would go inside the Runtime folder. Your read me files should go in exactly named "ReadMe's" folder as this is a hidden folder in DS's Content Library tab, placing UV template files with the read me file will make them easy to find and have hidden at the same time.

Edit: Your Props folder contains Studio format files, do not put in Runtime.

Post edited by jestmart on
    edited December 1969

To answer a few of your questions (then I'm going back to bed...my cold is getting worse)...​

I made my tree in Second Life... My partner and I figured out we can make things there and put them in daz.. it works great... I EXPORT it from SL to my computer in .DAE format. Then I brought it in to Daz. It had a bunch of prims so I sent it to HEXAGON... Where I worked on it to get it to 3 materials and then saved it as an OBJ file. I then IMPORTED it into daz via... FILE/IMPORT where I changed the colors how I wanted them. I don't know Hexagon very well... I saved the tree with the FILE/SAVE AS/SUPPORT ASSET/FIGUREPROP ASSET.

I DID make a folder IN DAZ content library for my stuff (ADD BASE DIRECTORY) I figured I'd keep all my stuff I made there.. I gave them subfolders with my name folder too. (I DID put the .obj tree IN the geometries folder before I imported it into daz so it's in the right folder) I'm not sure my runtime is correct... when I first started out files got all over the place. So I have a OWNER/MY DOCUMENTS/DAZ 3D/STUDIO/MY LIBRARY/.. after that I have all sorts of files... animals... content... data... geometries... hair.. lights.. readmes... runtime... runtimeDSON.. templates... etc.. about 80 files... THEN... in the runtime folder I have... about 59 files... data... geometries.. libraries... people.. poses.. props.. etc... So you can see I have 2 geometries folders.. 2 data folders..etc... I'm not sure if this is suppose to be right but some of the folders downloaded that way from DAZ Instant Manager.. and some from individual people that I've bought from. It seems everyone has their own folder system and I'm not sure now HOW my Library is SUPPOSED to look! I have THOUSANDS of content... I'm thinking I need to clean it out.. but it will take me a while. It's so hard to type things and I do much better with talking in person.

I've been getting bits n pieces from a bunch of people but no one has told me ... step 1.. step 2.. etc.. I can't believe it's this hard to zip something up!

Anyway.. I best grab some more sleep...