Oh yea. Octane for Carrara

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited June 2014

Jay_NOLA said:
    How is the render speed of 2.0 compared to the previous version>

I saw a couple of people complaining about the 2.0 release with regards to render speed from the older version and was wondering if anyone knew. if anyone had tested this and knew if the other complaint about 2.0 requiring a more powerful GPU was true.

Also has OTOY said how much the plugins will cost to upgrade? All I saw was that you get one upgraded for free when you upgrade to 2.0 currently but no mention on how much it will be to upgrade any others.

This got me thinking so I did a quick test for you, using the Spaceships scene that ships with Octane. In 1.5 it took 1 min 24 secs in Path Tracing mode to get to 200 S/Px, in 2.0 it took 1 min 35 secs. So yes, a little slower although hardly a deal breaker. I am running this on a GeForce GT650M on a Windows 64bit Laptop, so certainly not the highest end device, and it seems to run fine. All of this on a very limited sample of one scene and one render of course.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

For anyone interested, Version 2.01.0036 of Octane is now out. In addition to the new features in Version 2, the number of texture maps that can be used is no longer limited, you are just limited by the RAM on your GPU. This change applies to both the Kepler based Cards and the older Fermi based cards (Fermi based card limits were 64 RGBA textures, 32 grayscale textures, 4 HDR RGBA textures and 4 HDR grayscale textures, and the Kepler based card limits were 144 RGBA textures, 68 grayscale textures, 10 HDR RGBA textures, and 10 HDR grayscale.

Just testing it, so far I've loaded well over 200 texture maps on my Fermi card without any problem. I did run out of Vram (I have 3Gb) when I tried to load a scene with 4 clothed V4s, 3 clothed M4's, Faveral's Medieval Docks, and several props. I was able to load the same scene with 2 V4's and 2 M4's - about 240 texture maps with room to spare.

Can't wait for the public beta of the Carrara plugin!!!

Oh....render speed has also been improved!

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

OH WOW...FANTASTIC NEWS

I have been waiting for the texture limit to be removed before I fully invested in octane.

Time to get me a pair of 6gb gtx780's and updgrade to the latest version of OCRenderer...

S.K.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited July 2014

This is not a Carrara to Octane render (as it's not out yet), but I've been practicing on DAZ, so here is only my 2nd ever animation re-rendered in OCTANE.

Sci Fi Funk Episode 1.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc_ZJeMXCME

Improvements over version 1.

1. OCTANE Render vs DAZ native renderer.
    2. Realistic lighting
    3. DOF.
    4. 1920x1080 from 1280x720
    5. Animated intro. Titles improved.
    6. Animated outro. Talking titles.
    7. Slow sections Cut faster.
    8. Camera sweep ratio reduced.
    9. Hologram Girl more dramatic.

I’ve kept most of the original animation (no time to change this I over ran by 2 months as it is it should have been a 1 month project).

For the comparison here is the original episode 1 (rendered in DAZ before I understood about lighting).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZaernYLds

NOTE. I also posted this over on DAZ, but I thought it would be of interest to this thread as well as I've solved many of the slow rendering issues associated with indoor renders (by the end of the episode). I learned on the job here.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited December 1969

A great improvement - and the hologram girl effect looks terrific!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    A great improvement - and the hologram girl effect looks terrific!

Cheers Phil.

I am really starting to get the hang of fast lighting in OCTANE. Would you believe the right way of doing it can turn a 50 minute frame into just 1 minute!

Tutorials to follow, but still on a learning curve atm.

edited December 1969

I'll look forward to your thoughts on this. I think Octane for Carrara is going to be a revolution for many Carrara users!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I know its apostasy -- but I'll eventually pickup Octane for LightWave after I get a decent set of GPUs installed.

edited December 1969

I needed to Google "apostasy", but now that I know what you are talking about - how could you?!!

edited December 1969

Yes I agree. All future developments should be on features and not rendering. The network rendering seems broken in Windows 7 anyway.

Time to embrace the future.

I'd say that a single GTX 780Ti or Titan is the minimum for animation though - to avoid waiting frustrations, so not a cheap upgrade as you'll probably need an 850+ PSU to be safe. This is what I did and I'm running a slower GTX 760 alongside it.

edited December 1969

That's going to toast my knees when I have that in a laptop! It's already pretty warm running my current GT 650M, but it does the job (2GB memory and 384 CUDA cores). I have a program called RealTemp which warns when it might be overheating...

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    That's going to toast my knees when I have that in a laptop! It's already pretty warm running my current GT 650M, but it does the job (2GB memory and 384 CUDA cores). I have a program called RealTemp which warns when it might be overheating...

I'm not sure I'd be attempting GPU rendering on a laptop. You'll be listening to a lot of fans whirring for example. I have to run with the side taken off to keep temps down.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I needed to Google "apostasy", but now that I know what you are talking about - how could you?!!

What can I say? I got used to LightWave...Carrara just hasn't caught up and I have serious doubts that Daz will ever get it caught up (note to others, we do not need to rehash this argument for the 800th time in this thread).

I haven't abandoned Carrara entirely because I have an extensive content library for V4/M4 that I cannot easily get into LightWave. Right now, I model stuff in LW and bring them back into Carrara for rendering with V4. Once I learn an effective technique for going in the other direction...I'll probably uninstall Carrara.

Carrara was a great start to my 3D hobby (along with your training that I still give high praise for). Daz clearly disagrees with where Carrara should be in the market. Kinda sad really...

edited December 1969

I'd say that a single GTX 780Ti or Titan...

I wish I could afford a Titan card! :coolgrin:

I'll likely end up with a 780Ti though. The price point is a smidge more reasonable.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    I'd say that a single GTX 780Ti or Titan...

I wish I could afford a Titan card! :coolgrin:

I'll likely end up with a 780Ti though. The price point is a smidge more reasonable.

Yep. The conclusion I had to come to as well. btw. Not impressed with Gigabyte. Brand new GTX 780ti failed from the start. took two months to get a replacement (blame the shop I bought it from for that), then when I get my replacement it's a refurb. Both vendor and Gigabyte wash their hands of it at this point leaving me with a legal battle or just telling the truth and not buying from either again.

At least the refurb works :)

edited December 1969

Not impressed with Gigabyte. Brand new GTX 780ti failed from the start.

Duly noted! That is an awful buying experience.

I had something similar when I bought the hardware for my two servers (one of which handles all my 3D stuff). I bought 32 GB of RAM for it but the board would only handle 24 GB. I procrastinated building the servers for so long that the warranties were useless...and I didn't care for a legal battle either.

edited December 1969

Well I am a man of my word. I've had a few instances like this in my life. So now the challenge is to remember all the villans. lol. So far it's not a problem, but there may come a point when I'm old and grey that I remember a baddie as being a goody. ha ha.

edited December 1969

...there may come a point when I'm old and grey...

Beat you to it! :-P

Yes, I too genuinely fear repeating my earlier mistakes thanks to failing neurons...

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    ...there may come a point when I'm old and grey...

Beat you to it! :-P

Yes, I too genuinely fear repeating my earlier mistakes thanks to failing neurons...

Ha ha! Ah well it's inevitable - but as an artist you fight for more art to the very end.

edited December 1969

If you want some inspiration while waiting for Octane for Carrara, have a look at this gallery of Octane images, they are Out Of This World!
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=227176

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    If you want some inspiration while waiting for Octane for Carrara, have a look at this gallery of Octane images, they are Out Of This World!
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=227176

Very good. I've not spent anytime studying skin on any renderer. I know Dustrider has put time into this. The main attraction for me (apart from speed as an animator), is the light scattering across buildings and objects - everything looks more real.

edited December 1969

I know I am risking being burned at the stake, but LightWave has some built-in skin shaders. SSS on them too. Haven't played with it, but it is definitely there.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    I know I am risking being burned at the stake, but LightWave has some built-in skin shaders. SSS on them too. Haven't played with it, but it is definitely there.

Excuse me while I get out my matches.... ;-P

You do know that Carrara (prior to C8.5) came with a bunch of freebies, including Carrara optimized hi-res skin shaders for M4 and V4 which included non-GI and GI versions? The GI versions use SSS.

• eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited July 2014

Garstor,

It is probably the ineptitude of the operator, but I
    1. Download the trial of Lighwave.
    2. Loaded a FBX of a textured figure
    3 Opened a four port view of the loaded figure
    4. Switched on texture view in each view port one at a time.

With each view port I switched texturing on the UI became slower and slower, until by the fourth one it Stopped entirely.
    Is this normal behaviour for Lightwave?

OS - Win 7 64 Bit
    CPU - AMD Six core 3.3 Ghz
    GPU - Nvidia GTX 580
    Memory - 16 GB

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Mine's a pint of Tetley's. Tea that is!)

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    Garstor,

It is probably the ineptitude of the operator, but I
    1. Download the trial of Lighwave.
    2. Loaded a FBX of a textured figure
    3 Opened a four port view of the loaded figure
    4. Switched on texture view in each view port one at a time.

With each view port I switched texturing on the UI became slower and slower, until by the fourth one it Stopped entirely.
    Is this normal behaviour for Lightwave?

OS - Win 7 64 Bit
    CPU - AMD Six core 3.3 Ghz
    GPU - Nvidia GTX 580
    Memory - 16 GB

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Mine's a pint of Tetley's. Tea that is!)

That is not normal at all in my experience. What was the poly count of your model? My system does run 4x as much RAM and processors though. Our video cards are comparable. I haven't imported any FBX before...I'll give it a whirl some time if you can point me to what you used.

edited December 1969

Excuse me while I get out my matches.... ;-P

We don't need no water, let the mother***** burn...

edited July 2014

Used:

Model - V5
    Clothes - Fayre outfit with Spritely Textures applied.
    Hair - Fishtail Braids

Don't know if it's relavant but the FBX export was from Studio.
    It should, I think, have exported the Bones setup but didn't know how to check in Lightwave

Can you specify how many cores to use in Lightwave. If you can set it to six then it would be a better comparison.

How do you get 24 cores on a motherboard. Does it take two Processors or something?

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    Used:

Model - V5
    Clothes - Fayre outfit with Spritely Textures applied.
    Hair - Fishtail Braids

Don't know if it's relavant but the FBX export was from Studio.
    It should, I think, have exported the Bones setup but didn't know how to check in Lightwave

I don't know the poly count of that stuff but I'm guessing it is pretty darn high for 16 GB of RAM.

LightWave is two programs. Modeler for (guess!) modeling and Layout for lighting, rigging, animating, rendering. You would need to see the scene in Layout to find the bones. I recall seeing a message thread somewhere that the bones do not import well into LightWave.

In his training packages (available for purchase in the store...caveat emptor...), DreamLight imports into LightWave from D|S. But he keeps the scene static...it was Streets Of Asia with V4 stuff if I recall.

edited July 2014

How do your get 24 cores on a motherboard? Does it have two processor sockets? I thought only server boards had that?

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    How go your get 24 cores on a motherboard? Does it have two processor sockets? I thought only server boards had that?

You would be correct there. I run two server-grade machines as part of my regular job.