Triangles convert to quads

KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi, I was wondering. In Hex is there a way to convert models triangles to quads? Before I started learning how to do that in blender, I wanted to check to see if was possible in a daz product.

Thanks
Kimberly

Comments

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

Only from Quads to Triangles.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

You could try Meshlab (free) as well, but its more of a quick and dirty method, and it leaves some triangles. You also don't get any control over the flow.

meshlab_tris_to_quads.jpg
    698 x 483 - 113K
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    edited December 1969

Blender :
    Select your object, press tab to go in edit (mesh) mode. Press hotkey ALTJ and adjust the angle for the conversion. Now, it cannot make miracles, some of the tris may remain tris.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I've never managed to get Meshlab to do the conversion. Blender is about the best I've come across, but you will still have to do some manual conversions. After doing the conversion in Blender, you can try the Remesh tool - does a pretty good job.

Of course, In Hex , or any other app, you can add a level of subdivision, which will convert all tri's to quads.

In any of these applications, you have no control over edge flow, so if that is a factor, retopo is the best bet.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:

Of course, In Hex , or any other app, you can add a level of subdivision, which will convert all tri's to quads.

.... .

We need more smileys! We Can?!!! Ah, all those hours of selecting lines and hitting backspace! hehehe ... oh gonna try this next! ty

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

KimberSue said:
    Hi, I was wondering. In Hex is there a way to convert models triangles to quads? Before I started learning how to do that in blender, I wanted to check to see if was possible in a daz product.

Thanks
    Kimberly

Try Carrara if you use that program

Untitled.jpg
    512 x 512 - 236K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

This bicycle frame, all tri's made in 3DS - first two, Carrara pre - and post conversion, next two blender pre- and post. If they don't come up in order, the blue ones are blender :)

Carrara does convert quite a few; Blender converts everyhing I can see, but if I get in real close, there will probably be some that were not converted.

Has anyone got Meshlab to do a conversion? If so, I'd love to hear your method - question on the Meshlab forum seem to be ignored!

Cheers :)

blendpost.jpg
    693 x 529 - 92K
    blendpre.jpg
    672 x 510 - 94K
    carpost.jpg
    816 x 552 - 107K
    carpre.jpg
    863 x 579 - 115K