SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

Serene Night said:

I had seen a truncated version before, but the idea they are on one of those spinny things made it even cooler. Do we have one of those in the store? The child's spinning playground toy?

If you mean a merry-go-round, there's one in this set.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Thanks Gordig.... And it appears I own that. Of course I do!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited January 2021

I don't know if you're still looking for one, but if you still want a toy boat, maybe this one would work? https://www.daz3d.com/artyficial-incidentals-2

It might need some reshadering of the saiL, if you wanted to keep that, but otherwise, it's undefined enough to work as a toy.

It's in today's flash sale.

Post edited by vwrangler on

vwrangler said:

I don't know if you're still looking for one, but if you still want a toy boat, maybe this one would work? https://www.daz3d.com/artyficial-incidentals-2

It might need some reshadering of the saiL, if you wanted to keep that, but otherwise, it's undefined enough to work as a toy.

It's in today's flash sale.

Man, I just missed it. But you are right! That is an awesome little toy boat!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

It looks like almost everything that was in Friday's flash sale got carried over to the weekend flash sale, so it's still got a discount if you use the MORE-FOR-ME code.

Ah, thanks.I tend to not pay as much attention as I should to the sales. 

It is in my cart. I am debating the purchase of the Marsa elements set.

So cyberpunk has a definition. Cyberpunk is a subgenre of science fiction in a dystopian futuristic setting that tends to focus on a "combination of low-life and high tech"

edited January 2021

VWrangler recommended a skin shader tutoriall by Evilded777 and I decided to try it

Ready.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

I love how his buns bass trunk cakes bootay badonkadonk skin came out!

Aww thanks! I'm glad you like... The skin!

edited January 2021

Here, Boyd is trying out the new swimming poses for G8M HF Powerful Swimming Poses for Genesis 8 Male. These are a good value and include a number of poses.

beach2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited January 2021

Okay, so V8.1  Looks a ton different than the standard V8. first, I think her skin and face is much more realistic, as is her figure. She doesn't appear to be super buxom which is a strange thing for a v8. I'm going with this really not looking a lot like traditional Vicky. She's pretty, and I like her, but no, not Victoria. Is this V8 college girl? Or V8's kid sister? That I can believe. Nevertheless, I like her. She looks great to me. Can't wait for the guy version.

girl.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 999K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Serene Night said:

Okay, so V8.1  Looks a ton different than the standard V8. first, I think her skin and face is much more realistic, as is her figure. She doesn't appear to be super buxom which is a strange thing for a v8. I'm going with this really not looking a lot like traditional Vicky. She's pretty, and I like her, but no, not Victoria. Is this V8 college girl? Or V8's kid sister? That I can believe. Nevertheless, I like her. She looks great to me. Can't wait for the guy version.

Looks really good no? And the FACS is so much better than anything else I've tried in DAZ Studio so far. Only think I haven;t got that's new is that vellum hair.

• Serene Night said:

Here, Boyd is trying out the new swimming poses for G8M HF Powerful Swimming Poses for Genesis 8 Male. These are a good value and include a number of poses.

Love the pink lighting against the aqua!! Which hair is Boyd wearing-it's gorgeous

The blonde hair is Osher hair. The pink lighting comes from JM's promo lights. They offer excellent rims. 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Some outstanding renders Serene!!!

Saphirewild said:

Some outstanding renders Serene!!!

Awesome! Thanks! 

edited January 2021

Well, after a month of  really lacking in male  content released at DAZstore  it really has made me think about the older content I own.

I have come to the conclusion, that since I'm not a huge fan of dForce many of the older G3M conforming outfits seem better made with more details, and just frankly fit better than the new stuff. I think I'm going to spend the rest of the month of January weeding through the G3M offerings of outfits, and seeing which ones still look good to me and working on fits.

Obviously, no conversion is perfect, and certain things like footwear are just going to look better on the generation they are made for, but by and large, I see no reason to load up on more G8M outfits if the stuff for G3M fits, and looks better to me. 

edited January 2021

This is Everyday casual for G3M. It was designed for Teen Ryan, but I really like the shirt and pants. The vest was a little youthful for Owen, but the pants and Shirt are awesome. The pants also have a fun pocket design which think is super nice. There is a fly but no rear pockets.

I replaced the shoes, just because It tends to be easier to fit G8M shoes to Owen. But a standard flat tennis shoe will do nicely.

Outfit1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 567K

Serene Night said:

This is Everyday casual for G3M. It was designed for Teen Ryan, but I really like the shirt and pants. The vest was a little youthful for Owen, but the pants and Shirt are awesome. The pants also have a fun pocket design which think is super nice. There is a fly but no rear pockets.

I replaced the shoes, just because It tends to be easier to fit G8M shoes to Owen. But a standard flat tennis shoe will do nicely.

You mentioning Teen Ryan reminded me of that pretty aqua gi that came with the Ryan Pro Bundle. I meant to buy that gi. I think it would suit Owen or Boyd either but Owen moreso.

I will look for the aqua gi. So far, I sort of llike Teen Ryan's outfits. They seem to work pretty well on G8M. 

edited January 2021

Next  up is 27 Hours outfit. This is sort of a futuristic sports outfit with glow in the dark rave bracelets, a knee brace, tennis shoes necklace and accessories. 

This is a very common look, with the oversized long shorts, but I can't say Owen really rocks it. The shoes seem strange to me... The toe portion is squashed in an  uncomfortable wedge at the end?  the socks are white and look strange with the yellow and black ensemble.  The accessories and shirt might be good for a rave but I don't think the shorts would gets you past the bouncer at the door, so you may have to ditch those in favor of as sexy pair of jeans. Overall, there are bits of this outfit I might kitbash for clubbing, namely the shirt, the bracelets and necklace. The shorts and brace and tennies belong at the gym though. 

27 hours.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 509K
    edited January 2021

I admit to never even realizing I had this outfit. But I like it a great deal. It is the Banker's Outfit for G8M  and it came with the Weird West bundle from many moons ago..  

I think the fit is quite nice. It comes with a shirt, vest, bowler, boots, and pants of course. The pants have front pockets and a fly, but no rear pockets. This could be sort of gussied up for a historic costume from elsewhere as well. Perhaps a country gentleman with the right coat. The texture expansion is worth it. Both are presently deeply on sale.

banker1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 623K
    edited January 2021

On th subject of female clothing for men, here we have A Cropped Style Outfit For Genesis 8 Female 

Okay the 80's kind of called and they want their cropped jacket back. But if you fit control, you can tug it down to be a relatively normal waist wise. The set includes pants, and shoes, however, I was more interested in what I could do with the jacket. The jacket also includes some open and unzip morphs. And a texture expansion. Be warned, if you are going to use fit control, wait until you have added the texture expansion or it may disrupt your morphs when you download the update.

cropped jacket.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 549K

I'm not sold on the new PBR skin shader. I tested it on Boyd and he either looks shiny or chalky. The old shader seems richer to me. It probably doesn't help that his original skin is naturally kind of pink. 

Serene Night said:

I'm not sold on the new PBR skin shader. I tested it on Boyd and he either looks shiny or chalky. The old shader seems richer to me. It probably doesn't help that his original skin is naturally kind of pink. 

To make it less shiny don't click "Enable" for the "Specular Occlusion"

The dual lobe seems to be the culprit. But I still don't think the skin rocks this new shader. It looks better with the old one. 

edited January 2021

Here I took one of Stonemason's older sets, made the wall glass, and stuck an emissive outside. It worked well for making nteresting lighting.

comort2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited January 2021

Here is M8.1!

blonde.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 982K
  • 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

What lighting are you using, can I ask? - I haven't bought M8.1 yet, but have been playing with G8.1M and its skin and I am not having much success, especially side by side with my G8M character. I tried transfering my character across (not materials), and that wasn't great but the default skin under various HDR just look brown.