Never Better!

dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
edited June 2014 in Hexagon Discussion

I have updated my OS from mac os 10.6.8 to 10.9.2 and hexagon has never worked better. Its stable and fast. havent put it to rigorous work on geometry heavy meshes, but thru some heavy loops and its great. thats what i call programming for the future! And its 32bit. Anybody else updated and gets similar result? like to see it 64 bit

Post edited by dot_bat on

Comments

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited December 1969

It's funny how some people are happy and for others it seems to be unstable. For example on my lower end laptop here (2 Ghz approx. and 2 Gb of RAM running WinXP) it crashed right after I applied maximum smoothing to this simple cylinder shape.

roman-maximum-smooth-then-crash.jpg
    1400 x 1016 - 194K
  • dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

maximum smoothing is rather extreme. i get same, but not unwarranted

Screen_shot_2014-06-19_at_9.15_.05_AM_.png
    498 x 621 - 34K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I have 8 Gig RAM and a 1 Gig graphics card and get the same warning. If for some strange reason you really more than 3 levels of smoothing, apply, say, level 3, collapse DG, then apply it again.

BTW, doing this with a default cylinder gives 229,376 polys :)

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

the reason the poster is having trouble is firstly he has symmetry on, then the translate selector, an extra edge from somewhere and only smoothing the edge. i dont think they even got a warning dialog. the error is with the poster not hex or the stars

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I'm very well aware of that - just pointing out a method to get more than 3 levels of smoothing without crashing :)

Although why anyone would want that is beyond me!

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I have 8 Gig RAM and a 1 Gig graphics card and get the same warning. If for some strange reason you really more than 3 levels of smoothing...

Roger about it being an issue even if you have lots of RAM and video power... I'm not sure of "how much smoothing" I want if I'm just puttering around with primitives... I seemed to notice that if I have an 8 or 10-sided cylinder say, and I select a ring towards one end that I'm trying to round off (to look like a pill capsule say) then hitting "smooth" just once has a radical effect.

Just a bit of "smooth" seems to be the equivalent of, say, a "5" or "10" setting in Gaussian Blur in Photoshop... the line really blurs!