StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Armor & Body Paints out now!

Comments

• MoreTNMoreTN Posts: 219

This looks lovely

• The renders used for the portraits :)

• Starting to play around with promos, tho the first one is already outdated... I'll probably add a blanket by the window bench.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

• Absolutely lovely ... 

• OdinVonDOdinVonD Posts: 243

God damn that looks great! Can't wait! 

• Made a quick 360 render. This is how it renders out of the box, with some sharpening in PS.

360!

• Oh wow heart

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Wow

• Felt inspired...

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217

looks amazing

• surprise Wow

• Hi Strangefate,

I have 2 quick questions:

1) Is this a product for Daz Store? (sorry, I have not read all the +30 pages of comments)

2) If yes, when is it going to be available (or, if it's already available, what's the link)?

Thanks!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited December 2020

Stunning!!   Noticed the randomly placed hooks in the 360, such attention to detail.  Now ill have to find some hanging plants!

@oxfordapple_15ad59c6fd   I am by no means Strangefate but I think I can answer those two questions. 

1) Yes will be for Daz store (unless im mistaken I think they only sell at Daz but if im wrong someone please point me in the right direction also!)

2) Not available yet we are all (im)patiently waiting lol  On Dec 25 Strangefate posted they were working on promos.

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 140

Sooo... when do I get to move in?

• strangefate_asdf@msn.com[email protected] Posts: 751
    edited January 2021

@Romulus71 - I hope soon! ...fighting with the lighting as I do promos. Trying to get the usual best compromise, even more so now that there's an exterior.

@oxfordapple_15ad59c6fd - What @Daventaki said!

Current state of affairs, with the new dForce blanket added last minute:

P.S. May tone down the smoke opacity on the candles randomly in the scene, so they're not all that intense. Either way, it's easy to change the opacity in the material to your liking.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

I would buy this thing of art instantly without any promos! wink

• @Lothar Weber - But only because you've seen the promos!

Made a 360 with the night render settings: 360 at night

There's a visible seam over the fireplace (also visible in the day light 360). Looks like it has problems rendering the bloom on 1 side of the seam. I'll re-render them later with the seam in a more generic place :/

And the Tea party at night:

• Re-rendered the 360 pano render with better quality.

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

Strangefate said:

Re-rendered the 360 pano render with better quality.

Finally a product in the store again which is worth buying heart

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

I really really like your work... I spent like 6 hours translating the Medieval Bedroom into Octane.   It was time well spent.

Night's Watch.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 683K
    MBRDayAria1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 634K
  • @UHF Nice work

• @UHF That's a lot of work, glad it was worth it! Why not use Iray ?

edited January 2021

Been doing some exterior promos.... and playing with Filters in PS

Post edited by I-am-Cho on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

I must save my money for this kiss

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    edited January 2021

This is so pretty! heart I don't even do many fantasy renders, but I have ideas for what I could do with this set!

Post edited by WinterMoon on
  • UHFUHF Posts: 512

Strangefate said:

@UHF That's a lot of work, glad it was worth it! Why not use Iray ?

I can't afford to use Iray.  I'd need to buy a very very expensive GPU.  I'm currenly using two GTX1660TI's with 6GB of RAM.  Most of my renders push well past 8GB of RAM, and texture RAM is unlimited in Octane. Out of GPU textures impact your render performance, like 10%.  For the attached (and totally unrelated) Render, Daz was using 21GB of RAM, and Octane was using 11.5 GB of RAM.  Total Render time was still 10-15 minutes or so.  I'm pretty that would default to CPU Iray and take forever.

I do worry that you're looking at special shaders for Iray.  Those don't always translate well to other engines.

If I had a complaint about your work, its that all the textures are in a single directory, so it makes picking and identifying each of the texture\roughness\gloss\metalic maps a bit of a chore, with slight carpal tunnel.  AeonSoul sorts all textures by item, and texture variants.  Translating those to Octane is dead simple, click click click, done.

RoboticsLab.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 552K
    edited February 2021

@UHF - Ahh yeah, the whole VRAM thing is quite limiting for renders in general

- As for the special shaders... it's simply necessary if you want to do certain things well and efficiently. The default 1 layer shader only gets you so far. 
    For the current project, there's a hierarchical material preset included that will replace all 4-layer shader materials with a regular 1 layer material with all the details baked in. Looks 90% the same, just uses a bit more memory, should be good for exports and anything in DAZ that doesn't support the 4-layer shader.

- Texture organization... They're easier for me to optimize at the end if they're all together :)  ...Painter can create custom folders on export tho, so it should be easy to do what you describe. I'll try it out on the next project.

And some promos, night scene is included as usual.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Strangefate said:

@Strangefate

Very beautiful work, well done!

Can I have a quick question?

If you have to estimate, how much time does it take to make something like this, from start-to-finish?

If you work only on this from Monday-Friday, would it take 2-4 weeks, 1-2 months, or maybe more than that?

Thanks for any insight!

edited February 2021

oxfordapple_15ad59c6fd said:

Strangefate said:

@Strangefate

Very beautiful work, well done!

Can I have a quick question?

If you have to estimate, how much time does it take to make something like this, from start-to-finish?

If you work only on this from Monday-Friday, would it take 2-4 weeks, 1-2 months, or maybe more than that?

Thanks for any insight!

Good question, one I'm always trying to avoid thinking about these days :)

I would guesstimate that if I was doing this all by myself, focused, working and performing at a studio (with the attached mentality) and only working on this one project without distractions, it would perhaps take 1.5 to 2 months tops, to have it all polished and final.

It can be faster if you're coloring by numbers, meaning you're just replicating stuff that exists or are given concepts for everything, but the moment you start making up stuff, mixing or extrapolating from a style, you have to account for some R&D time.

In reality tho, it takes longer these days, working with Roguey and the mentality I have nowadays which is a bit scattered across several projects, with the focus on enjoying what I do and indulging in curiosities and experimenting, which often cost days of time and bear no inmediate gain, but sometimes provide you with a solution or faster process for something down the road...

Post edited by [email protected] on