Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD - **Updated 2019-03-28**

1234568»

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    njs said:

About a week ago, I registered myself on Foundation3D. I haven't been able to download lightsabers from the resources yet because I may have to be patient for my account to be activated.

So it may be a week or a month before I get a valid script from them.

Might be a lot longer then that but I do not know.  Its not somethig I have control over

• njsnjs Posts: 71

You're absolutely right, it could take even longer than a month.

However, the administrators have control over it for now.

But I'm glad that I was able to register on there.

edited March 2019

Thank you for mentioning that.  I just went to F3D and found the thread about it.  I will pass on the info.

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21850

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited March 2019

I never got in over there.  I tried months ago.

Edit: I just saw your post on the Star Trek page.  I can't access the site from work.  I'll try and register later tonight.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    tkdrobert said:

I never got in over there.  I tried months ago.

Please try again.

Important Update for Lightsabers on Foundation 3D.

Hi, njs here.

Sorry for this late update, but I wanted to let anyone know that the Lightsabers on Foundation 3D can now be downloaded.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

I'd love to see a Daz friendly version of the D-10 Riskadh Heavy Cruiser...

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Riskadh_class

• My meanderings through my runtime looking for neat Poser-era stuff to convert to D|S format recently reached the old TOS-era starship kits (heavy cruiser, destroyer, scout, transport, updated a little bit from the designs in the Franz Josef tech manual) made by Greywolf. Conversion and Iray materials went well (except I just realised today there are three, not two saucer hull variants, so I need to do a bit more work later).

Looking more closely at the thumbnails for the shuttlebay doors, I can see just an edge of what seems to be a complete hangar deck interior, which isn't part of the secondary hull model. Does anyone else still have the kits, and is there actually a hangar interior somewhere and I missed it?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited February 2020

Found him! He has an archive at DeviantArt under his full handle, Greywolf-Starkiller. Got the hangar deck, a TOS Miranda model, and the big guns, the dreadnought USS Federation. Seriously, that thing has phaser banks everywhere. And it looks like he's working on a more generalised Connie-class contruction kit with lots of variants.

A few glitches, though; the hangar door objects on the Federation are mis-saved, they each have their origin points in their centres instead of what ought to be the pivot point for the whole door structure, and I'm having problems fixing it. Also on the Miranda, the red and green lights on the nacelles are swapped, and a couple of the green lights on the primary hull have the red light material. Not sure how to fix this, some of them are under a glass dome mesh.

Anyway, here's a quick render of my WIP Iray materials on the Connie with the hangar deck. No registry text, I haven't converted them yet. The hangar has a light panels material, so all I need now is a small-scale low-detail shuttle mesh.

Another weirdness; the red light mesh on the fantail turns invisible when I convert to Iray materials. It isn't reversed normals, I know how to fix that, I can actually see through the hole to the deflector dish light at the front of the secondary hull. I have no idea what's happening. N-gons, maybe?

Connie-wip01.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 61K
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • anthscoanthsco Posts: 19

Looks like Foundation3D site is down

Good thing I back up my models...

anthsco said:

It's been down for a couple of months. They were in the middle of updating the site, when the admin had some sort of medical issue. I found this out from the forums on other 3D sites.

• anthscoanthsco Posts: 19
    anthsco said:

It's been down for a couple of months. They were in the middle of updating the site, when the admin had some sort of medical issue. I found this out from the forums on other 3D sites.

Thanks

Right about the same time i had my own medical problems. 

Good thing I made backups

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited August 2020

<snip>

A few glitches, though; the hangar door objects on the Federation are mis-saved, they each have their origin points in their centres instead of what ought to be the pivot point for the whole door structure, and I'm having problems fixing it. Also on the Miranda, the red and green lights on the nacelles are swapped, and a couple of the green lights on the primary hull have the red light material. Not sure how to fix this, some of them are under a glass dome mesh.

<snip>

ok, this is a bit tricky if there is an exact XYZ the pivot point needs to be, and saving it is a bit iffy outside of saving it as a scene subset, or a daz asset.  As for moving the pivot point, or point of Origen, eh, for quick about there is close enough work, ye can use the tools tab "joint editor" to get it close, unless ye knows the exact XYZ to type in.

ye can more than likely ignore the red set or arrows, as that doesn't affect where the item pivots around, it's the green set (Center Point) that is the pivot point. Oh, select the item ye wants to adjust in the scene tab (object, or the bone that needs to be adjusted) before dragging stuff around, don't want to mes up the wrong item by mistake. In this example, it's the arms of the Asgard Anker chair that has the pivot point in the center of that round part, rather than the bottom of the arm obj.

ye can click the number in the tab, and type in a number, or grab one of the arrow points to move that 'Center Point' to the desired location.  as for saving the result, unless it's an asset ye is making for daz, a scene subset usually works well enough until ye is ready to commit the final thing for whatever ye is doing.  Also, this is the same for bones on a rigged figure/prop, tho there the 'End Point' also matters some (esp successively linked bones)

MovingPointOfOrigen_01001lbl001.png
    700 x 512 - 48K
    MovingPointOfOrigen_01002lbl001.png
    2560 x 1440 - 557K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    ok, this is a bit tricky if there is an exact XYZ the pivot point needs to be, and saving it is a bit iffy outside of saving it as a scene subset, or a daz asset.  As for moving the pivot point, or point of Origen, eh, for quick about there is close enough work, ye can use the tools tab "joint editor" to get it close, unless ye knows the exact XYZ to type in.

I actually managed to fix the hangar door sections with only a medium amount of bother, using the old Move Origins script which still seems to work OK. Not sure what I can do about the mis-applied materials on the Miranda's lights, though — I'm very much out of my comfort zone messing about with the actual mesh surfaces.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,512

It appears foundation3d is still down. Does anyone know if it's coming back? Is there an alternate destination? Seems like something special may be lost.

Torquinox said:

It appears foundation3d is still down. Does anyone know if it's coming back? Is there an alternate destination? Seems like something special may be lost.

I read a while ago that the owner of the site wants it to continue but he hasn't had much time to dedicate to it.  If I recall, he is rebuilding the site.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,512

Thanks! I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Sounds good to hear!