Hexagon basic informations..

WMIIWMII Posts: 48
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Dear community,

im planning to start 3d modelling and looked for some software that makes it possible to create 3d stuff no matter if models, objects . eg. ..

I heared that many people use z-brush and that its very good and has all basic tools .. its costs are like 650 Euro..

Now i see that Hexagon promisses to have all basic tools and possibilitys to create 3 d content too and cost only 19.99 dollars ??????????????????????????

Is this reality? I need only Hexagon and nothing else???? No other programs, plugins utilitys i have to buy ?

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Dear community,

im planning to start 3d modelling and looked for some software that makes it possible to create 3d stuff no matter if models, objects . eg. ..

I heared that many people use z-brush and that its very good and has all basic tools .. its costs are like 650 Euro..

Now i see that Hexagon promisses to have all basic tools and possibilitys to create 3 d content too and cost only 19.99 dollars ??????????????????????????

Is this reality? I need only Hexagon and nothing else???? No other programs, plugins utilitys i have to buy ?

Yes Hexagon is a modeler. It is however "an old' one, 32 bit and like any other modeler on the market, it does have some bugs. At the moment these matters are not being addressed.

That being said, one can use something such as "large address aware" to help it make better use of memory IF one is running a 64 bit machine.
    It is great for making morphs as it has a bridge to D/S4.x
    It does not do everything like the big buck modelers can do ... but for 4 figures I would expect them to do more!
    For eg. it does not do fiber hair.

Its uvmapping procedures are somewhat tedious at times; at other times pretty straight forward. There are some free and $ utilities for uvmapping. 3D Coat does uvmapping and a whole lot more. Just watch the licensing for 3D Coat. Educational does have some limits. Pro is more expensive but can be used commercially and has not the same limitations.

Hexagon goes on sale every now and then too. Sometimes half price ... it was also free for quite awhile so many people have it.

I use Hexagon.

Others use Blender which is free and does have an active supporting community for updating it, etc.
    They have improved the program's interface but still, it's not a program for everyone. Hexagon's interface tends to be "user friendly".

For the 2D texturing, Hexagon is not recommended.
    3D painting best done in a program dedicated for that purpose IMHO.

For making textures for models, there are free and $ 2D image editing programs.

• WMIIWMII Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

hmmm ok thx for information :-) well i think 20 dollar is nothing for a software... im running a 64 bit machine but i just want model simple things like clothes and maybe some furniture and rooms ... if its possible with hexagon ill get it ... so can u tell what exactely i need to buy to get started with hexagon? just Hexagon 2.5 for 20 dollars and nothing else? 3d coating is another software? u create the object in hexagon and do the uvmapping with 3d coat? or is 3d coat a standalone?

edited December 1969

hmmm ok thx for information :-) well i think 20 dollar is nothing for a software... im running a 64 bit machine but i just want model simple things like clothes and maybe some furniture and rooms ... if its possible with hexagon ill get it ... so can u tell what exactely i need to buy to get started with hexagon? just Hexagon 2.5 for 20 dollars and nothing else? 3d coating is another software? u create the object in hexagon and do the uvmapping with 3d coat? or is 3d coat a standalone?

3D Coat is a major stand alone sold by another company ;-)

Yes Hexagon can be used to model clothes, furniture, rooms, etc.
    You do not need to buy anything to start working in Hexagon.
    One can make complete items in it.
    These items can later be imported into programs like Daz Studio or Poser or Carrara and there made into clothing or props, etc.

As D/S is free atm, I would recommend 'buying it' now too if you don't already have it.

edited December 1969

hehe thanks very much patience :-) thats what i wanted to know ,i ll get hexagon then and maybe some tutorials ..thx very much

edited December 1969

hehe thanks very much patience :-) thats what i wanted to know ,i ll get hexagon then and maybe some tutorials ..thx very much

You're welcome.

There are lots of free tutorials available ... I have some too over at Deviant Art. [patience55anotherone]
    Also Hexagon comes with a manual. [usually hidden somewhere in the program folders].

Helpful items for the toolbox:

http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=other&product=uv_viewer Free.

Can save out larger [better looking] templates for the objects. Just keep the saved file "square" because Hexagon creates square uvmaps.

Hexagon's uvmap template "screengrab" function works but is limited in size which IF wanting a decent amount of detail for something specific doesn't quite cut the cake.

Others use UVMapper, free or pro.
    http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ Free
    or there are programs by Corel, Adobe, etc for 2D image editing.
    What one wants is a program that can work with layers, i.e. psd. files.

These are not "needed to model" but make life a lot easier for dressing up the models.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

I like Hexagon, and prefer to use it even though its still 32 bit.

Using Large Address Aware as Patience suggested does help. Go here http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php to get a free utility that will patch the Hexagon .EXE to use up to 4Gb of ram. In my experience Hexagon seems to max out around 3Gb before it becomes unresponsive.

Hexagon is VERY different than ZBrush or 3D Coat. Try them all if you can.

If you are on Windows8, there are a few topics in the Hex forum on getting it to run successfully.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Before you go spending money on tutorials, take a look at these excellent free ones http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon-tutorials.php

Welcome to the wonderful world of 3D modelling :)

edited December 1969

thanks for the hints :-) ill check the free tutorials first :-)