Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• edited December 1969

Help---cannot install!!
    Just bought Garibaldi, and I can't get anything but the 2.2-Mb installer download and a 'successfully installed' message. No registration, nothing in the Daz interface, and Daz tech support referred me back to garibaldiexpress.com/help, where there is no help. Any assistance appreciated.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

curveface said:
    Help---cannot install!!
    Just bought Garibaldi, and I can't get anything but the 2.2-Mb installer download and a 'successfully installed' message. No registration, nothing in the Daz interface, and Daz tech support referred me back to garibaldiexpress.com/help, where there is no help. Any assistance appreciated.

It has been a long time since I installed Garibaldi, but I think you have to your account page on the DAZ website and click on the "My Serial Numbers" tab at the top right of the page under the banner ad. You should find your serial number for Garibaldi listed there. I believe it needs to be entered in the installed plugin dialog on DAZ Studio, but I've forgotten how to get it and I'm at work now.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for your response.
    But that's the problem...it isn't in the installed plugin list. The installer is only 2 megabytes, and it doesn't seem to be installing anything.

• orcadudeorcadude Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Start explorer, navigate to C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads and delete everything inside.
    Then re-download via the "Ready to Download" tab in the Install Manager.

• edited December 1969

I appreciate it, but why will that enable garibaldi to install? It had to be downloaded manually, not through the Download Manager.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

The installer only installs 2 files garibaldiplugin.dll in the plugins folder and garibaldishader.sdl in the shaders folder.

When you install, you need to point the installer to the folder with the dazstudio.exe file - not to the content folder. Alternatively, you can install the files to a temp folder and then manually move the files to the correct folders. If you've run the installer and garibaldi is not in the plugin list, do a search for the 2 files in the path you set for the installer and move them to the correct locations.

• edited December 1969

I owe you a cup of coffee, dude. You're awesome. Thank you kindly.

• Darkelf51Darkelf51 Posts: 26
    edited December 1969

I have managed to read thru about 20 pages starting somewhere around page 32 or so. I am convinced this is "exactly" what I need and wanted for soooo many years. Its a done deal. My next purchase will be Garibaldi Express. There are couple of you people in this thread who deserve a commission...LOL. You sold it for me. Thanks bunches for your hard work and in sharing your experiences with us.

edited December 1969

So, once you get it, don't be a stranger.

Let's see what other people are doing with it! :-)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2014

Darkelf51 said:
    I have managed to read thru about 20 pages starting somewhere around page 32 or so. I am convinced this is "exactly" what I need and wanted for soooo many years. Its a done deal. My next purchase will be Garibaldi Express. There are couple of you people in this thread who deserve a commission...LOL. You sold it for me. Thanks bunches for your hard work and in sharing your experiences with us.

Gone particularly deserves a commendation. He's one of the last remaining beta testers who has unfailingly continued to support this software long after its production subsided. I think he's earned a PA status personally haha :D

-----------

I am lost atm... for some reason the garibaldi editor has vanished. I can still render garibaldi and see the curves and its surfaces in DS. The only thing I can put it down to is that I updated DS 4.6.3.50 to 4.6.3.52 and swapped workspace layout from Self serve to City limits (Purely to improve my work flow) Now the editor is missing, no longer listed in the edit menu.

I'll have to try reinstall it I guess. Was very unexpected.

EDIT: and no, re-installation didn't fix it. Damn.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Seems its the workspace layout City Limits didn't want to automatically place Garibaldi edit in the edit menu. Annoying, But going through Workspace>Customize I was able to find it and place it in the edit menu. (had I not just the other day customized the UI, I wouldn't have thought of that LOL)

edited December 1969

Stop! You're going to make me blush. :red:

Glad you got it sorted. I was going to suggest that. I've seen several threads that have indicated a similar loss of one or another plugin after an update. This seems to be the usual solution to get them back.

While production has subsided, it's not dead - at least not according to Futurebiscuit. Back in March, he left a post saying that production would be continuing - it just wasn't top priority. As he noted in the post, he barely broke even on Garibaldi so it just makes sense that his focus will be on projects that pay the bills.

A couple of weeks ago, I managed to get an email from him where he reiterated the March post. He was just finishing up a contract that, as he put it, paid "considerably more" than he could ever hope to make from Garibaldi. He has another project that also has considerable money involved that he needs to finish. No mention was made of anything else after that so, hopefully (I'm ever the optimist :-) ), Garibaldi will be next up.

He mentioned several exciting features in his March post, so I think the next update will be a real pleasure for those who keep the faith. :cheese:

edited December 1969

Yes that does make sense, and I too was aware he was too busy with other commitments. I didn't at all mean to discredit him, although its a shame we rarely see him, all things considered, he's one man and a real busy man at that! haha. I merely intended to express that you have certainly been a valuable community volunteer to him and his product. I think allot of us would be lost without such post release support from you. Especially for new faces taking up garibaldi.

I do not see myself ever loosing faith in Garibaldi, its stable, does wonderfully at its purpose. I've not stopped using it and don't plan too. Is too awesome :) Now if it vanishes from my DS, (like the hiccup earlier) I'm completely lost! let me assure you LMAO

edited December 1969

I didn't mean to suggest you were trying to disparage the guy. I know you are an avid user of the product - even if you don't show up here very often. :-)

I just wanted to share what meager info I had on what was going on.

Now - if you started posting some images showcasing the hair and not your awesome artistic talent that would be cool. :lol:

edited December 1969

Haha, well I will see If I can send some more portraits this way :) Ive honestly not done portraits since beta testing strangely. I do test render portraits but none of it is ever intended to be displayed.

I have a question for you Gone,
    Do you use Gamma correction in your renders? I have noticed that it instantly strips the hair of colour and leaves it washed out. I actually just discovered its a similar experience for a friend of mine in Carrara with their hair system. I wonder if its something that needs to be corrected in the hair surfaces... an overlooked setting perhaps. Documentation on garibaldi's surfaces is still under construction, though Ive learned allot from whats there. Gamma correction is something I'm exploring at this time, but its not useful to me it it makes hair a hindrance in my projects lol

edited December 1969

As a matter of fact, I do use gamma correction. :-)

If you are using the 1.1 version (can't remember if it was added in the 1.0), near the bottom of the surfaces tab is a switch called "A Correct Gamma". You set this switch to match the switch settings in your render settings.

In other words, turn it on if you use gamma correction. :lol:

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    As a matter of fact, I do use gamma correction. :-)

If you are using the 1.1 version (can't remember if it was added in the 1.0), near the bottom of the surfaces tab is a switch called "A Correct Gamma". You set this switch to match the switch settings in your render settings.

In other words, turn it on if you use gamma correction. :lol:

I believe this feature is only in the 1.1 version.

edited December 1969

Hey, Thank you. No wonder it was rendering all strange when I had gamma on.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited June 2014

Hi all. :)

May I please get some advice on how to get this to look like fur? I thought I'd update an old character (using G2F and Growing Up) using real hair (maybe) and fur but I've been failing for the last 6 hours. I can tidy up the actual fur distribution and style morphs but I CANNOT make it look shiny. I want it to be slightly rough with just that hint of sheen. Everyone here makes it look so effortless. o___o

I'm using Advanced Lights.

(Redoing this character :) http://fav.me/d5ivi1d )

Thank you very much! :)

Goat_Hair_test2.jpg
    395 x 585 - 149K
    Post edited by Saiyaness on
    edited December 1969

While not universally true, fur tends to be coarser than human hair so I usually change the base/tip widths to 0.04/0.02.

Shininess is controlled in the surfaces shader. There are 2 sections that are applicable, Primary Specular (R) that sets the highlights and Secondary Specular (TRT) that sets the overall shine. If this were the DAZ default shader, you can think of R as being a glossy value of 70% plus while TRT would be equivalent to a glossy value of 50% or less.

There are 3 controls that need to be considered for each of these - intensity, colour blend, and blend value. Intensity is simply a matter of how strong you want the shine to be. Colour blend is the colour you set that will be blended with the base/tip colour you set in the editor. The blend value needs a bit of explanation.

While there are no limits to the blend value, the practical limit is 0 to 1. Setting values outside this range will work, but the result will not be what you expect. Also, the value is not an intensity slider. The closer the value is to 0, the stronger the blend colour will be. The closer the value is to 1, the stronger the base/tip colour will be.

As with any surface, the shine will depend on how the light strikes the surface.

Generally, I would suggest starting by reducing the TRT intensity and, possibly, blending a colour close to the fur colour you set in the editor. You can then play with the R intensity to get the highlight you want. Again, you can consider setting a blend colour for the highlight.

There are other controls that manage the shift and width of the specular but you usually don't need t play with those.

The big advantage of the advanced lights is the ability to set a Garibaldi flag. By setting the flag and using primitive hit mode, you can dramatically speed up the render time.

Good luck with your project. I hope you will post it here when you are done. :)

edited December 1969

Thank you very much, Gone! I'm just having a play with your advice now. I'm basically scaling my way through all the settings. Still not getting the look I want (slightly glossy, black fur with a purple/blue-ish tinge, which I can achieve with lighting, I guess) but I'll keep trying!

edited December 1969

Aha! Actual parameters! Something like this, perhaps?

Base/tip colour set to 0.0.0/23.23.23

TRT colour set to 6.6.6 (ooooohhhh scary). Intensity was left at default to give slight glossy while blend was set to 0.2.

R colour set to 170.206.215 with intensity and blend left at default. However, the R Longitudinal Width is pretty wide for such short hair so I lowered it to 4.0.

You may want to play with that if the highlight is still too wide for you.

FaceFur.jpg
    600 x 600 - 95K
    edited December 1969

You're awesome! I'm getting closer to what I want. Now I've just restarted the maps...which is a nightmare XD Once I have something worth showing, I'll post it. o_o

edited December 1969

When you say restarted the maps, do you mean creating new maps? Why are they a nightmare? Maps a usually pretty straight forward - especially on a human character.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    When you say restarted the maps, do you mean creating new maps? Why are they a nightmare? Maps a usually pretty straight forward - especially on a human character.

So instead of the pure white blob like my first attempt, there's more of a gradient from eye to fur edge with finer hair around her eye and those nice fine bits on the edge. I've also tried making it patchier so it's not so thick. Problem is, now it's not thick enough :p I think I'm over-complicating it. XD

Here's a WIP from last night which looks nothing like what I'm trying to achieve. :p Been at work today so haven't had a chance to play! :) And also, the look I'm going for (except black fur) - her actual skin will be changed to suit. :) Maybe I should try making it a bit longer and more coarse.

goat_eye.jpg
    564 x 450 - 122K
    Goat_Fur_Test_01.jpg
    500 x 650 - 170K
    edited December 1969

There are 2 ways that I can think of, off the top of my head, to get the fine to coarse hair look.

First - use 2 hair nodes. Create a map covering the full area for the hair, set the base/tip widths accordingly, and style it as needed. Create a new hair node and paint a map for the coarse hair area. Set the base/tip and style accordingly. With the coarse hair over the fine hair, you get a thicker hair coverage over the coarse area. By setting different seeds for each node, the hairs won't generate in the same place so will add the the thickness.

Second - create the 2 maps but in the same hair node. Set up the same as you would for the fine hair in the above example. The coarse hair map will be used in the texture channel of clump 1. Now put all 3 sliders - strength, bias, and amount to the top. This will cause the hair in the mapped area to clump together into fine strands that will look like a coarser hair. The hair not covered by the coarse map will be unaffected.

Each method has it's pros and cons so only you can decide what works best for you.

It looks like you will need to make the hair longer but you will also need to shorten the guides around the eye since the hair is shorter there. Don't forget to check the salt and pepper settings - in this case, especially, the salt so you don't get too many white hairs generated.

Learning is such fun. :)

edited December 1969

Progress! Yay! Much happier now :p Just need to tidy it up a bit, make her ear more hairy (it looks weird bare) and do the skin under the fur and the goat eye. If I'm feeling brave, I'll do her hair too. I only need enough to fit under a bonnet. :D

WIP shot! I was just mucking around with adjustment layers, trying to make the fur pop more. :)

Goat_Fur_Test_07.jpg
    500 x 713 - 320K
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    There are 2 ways that I can think of, off the top of my head, to get the fine to coarse hair look.

First - use 2 hair nodes. Create a map covering the full area for the hair, set the base/tip widths accordingly, and style it as needed. Create a new hair node and paint a map for the coarse hair area. Set the base/tip and style accordingly. With the coarse hair over the fine hair, you get a thicker hair coverage over the coarse area. By setting different seeds for each node, the hairs won't generate in the same place so will add the the thickness.

Second - create the 2 maps but in the same hair node. Set up the same as you would for the fine hair in the above example. The coarse hair map will be used in the texture channel of clump 1. Now put all 3 sliders - strength, bias, and amount to the top. This will cause the hair in the mapped area to clump together into fine strands that will look like a coarser hair. The hair not covered by the coarse map will be unaffected.

Each method has it's pros and cons so only you can decide what works best for you.

It looks like you will need to make the hair longer but you will also need to shorten the guides around the eye since the hair is shorter there. Don't forget to check the salt and pepper settings - in this case, especially, the salt so you don't get too many white hairs generated.

Learning is such fun. :)

That's a super handy tip with the seed thing! I'll be sure to try that! I'm pretty happy with how it looks now. :) Thank you SO much for your help! It's been awesome knowing someone knows their stuff to help me XD You're amazing!

edited December 1969

Coming along nicely. :)

You may want to use the surface attract tool to push the hair out slightly from the surface to give the hair a bit more volume.

When you say "adjustment layers", I assume you are talking about post work.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Got the plugin during the flash fav sale ...

I noticed people here are referring to 1.1 ... this new plugin says 1.0 so ??? Is it a beta or something?

Also, note having registering during installation and the only reference to a registration page is still 404 so ? Is there a registration?