How to make separate head and body morphs from custom FBM

Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249

I'm wondering what the best process is for making separate custom head and body morphs. I've made a custom full body morph and have a control slider for it,  but want to have separate morph sliders for the head and body. I know how to make separate head and body shape presets, but that's not what I want. Do I need to make the  the head morph first, save it as a morph in DS then do the body? That could be problematic if after I've done the body I decide I want to adjust the head morph. Or is there a way to make the FBM first then split it out in DS?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited August 2017

What figure is it for? If it's for Genesis 8, you can use the HeadSplit DFormer (found under Smart Content >> Utilities). 

If so, let me know and I'll try and walk you through how to use it - as it's a bit complicated when you first use it.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249

Hi divamakeup thanks,  it's for Genesis 8. I've never used HeadSplit DFormer so I'll take a look.

edited August 2017
    Eva1 said:

Hi divamakeup thanks,  it's for Genesis 8. I've never used HeadSplit DFormer so I'll take a look.

Ok it can be a bit complicated the first time you use it. I'll try and explain it as best as I can:

First load a fresh Genesis 8 Female and with her selected go to Smart Content >> Utilities and find the "Genesis 8 Female HeadSplit DFormer". Double click on it to apply it. 

Then to go to the Scene Tab and, with G8F selected, go to Assets >> Morph Loader Pro. Click on "Choose Morph Files" and navigate to where your morph is and select it - but don't hit accept yet. Once your Morph is selected in the Morph Loader Pro window, click on the little arrow to the left of it to expand it's options. 

Then go down to where is says "Attenuate By:" and right click on "none" then Select Weight Maps >> D-Former_1 >> Influence Maps:

If you leave the Strength at "1" it will load just the head portion of the morph. If you set it to "-1" it will load just the body portion of the morph.

Hit accept then the morph will be under Parameters >> Morphs.

You'll need to do the process twice - once for the head and once for the body. 

You should then be able to save the morphs as File >> Save As >> Support Asset >> Morph Asset(s).

Post edited by 3Diva on

Thanks so much Divamakeup!:  I'll be giving this a try later on today.

edited August 2017
    Eva1 said:

Thanks so much Divamakeup!:  I'll be giving this a try later on today.

Great! I hope it works well for you. :) One thing I noticed though is that it doesn't work so well with morphs that are much taller or much shorter than the base Genesis 8. And I haven't figure out how to get it to work properly for short or tall characters. So hopefully your character isn't real tall or short. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

When I make head/body morphs, I work the facial morph first and make a dial for it after adjusting the joints to match the morph.  Delete the figure, start over for the body morph.  Make sure to not include the head morphs in the rigging adjustments and make that dial after doing the ERC freeze.  Then another dial is made with just the head/body dials and no ERC's to control the other two to make the entire character.  

• Oh wow thanks! I bought the G8F alien that is a FBM and I only wanted the head, so I guess this will work!

edited August 2017

When I make head/body morphs, I work the facial morph first and make a dial for it after adjusting the joints to match the morph.  Delete the figure, start over for the body morph.  Make sure to not include the head morphs in the rigging adjustments and make that dial after doing the ERC freeze.  Then another dial is made with just the head/body dials and no ERC's to control the other two to make the entire character.  

Thanks very much Darwin. I'm not sure I've understood this correctly though (still learning the process) . Do you mean you make two morph .objs  one for the head and one for the body and then import them as you say? I was hoping to do both on one .obj as I'm afraid of messing up around the neck area. Also do you import the morph with MLP, and make a dial first with that, check the morph to see if the rigging is still okay,   and if not then adjust riggingand do an ERC freeze on that?

Post edited by Eva1 on
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

I make one morph obj for the head, and one for the body, yes.  If you can remember where the line is between the neck/head area messing it up wouldn't be an issue- or you can use the geometry editor in Studio after making the head morph to remove the influence from the body by removing the affected polys from the head morph before saving the ERC freeze.  I use Hexagon/Studio bridge for this process- since most of my morphs come from Hexagon so I don't have to worry about missing polys or me accidentally using SubD/Scale options.  I have done a HD Detail morph in Sculptris for a head before, and yes- I used the MLP for that head detail morph.   Both imports make a "morph" dial in the Morph area of the Parameters.  Dial it to 100%, check the rigging with various expressions and poses, adjust the rigging anyway (trust me you may not notice, but the rigging can still be off), check the poses/expressions again, then ERC freeze the adjusted rigging for the portion of the model you morphed.  Make sure to go into the parameters of the morph dial to remove the -100% and make it zero (so people don't accidentally reverse the morph completely), choose the type of dial it is (change shape, I think) and choose the Name.  You may want to check the "auto follow" box as well if it's for the body (I don't for the head), and choose the colors of the dial to make it unique.  Then save it as a Morph Asset and your dial is saved.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

Is there any reason why "HeadSplit DFormer" utility only works on Genesis 8?

I make one morph obj for the head, and one for the body, yes.  If you can remember where the line is between the neck/head area messing it up wouldn't be an issue- or you can use the geometry editor in Studio after making the head morph to remove the influence from the body by removing the affected polys from the head morph before saving the ERC freeze.  I use Hexagon/Studio bridge for this process- since most of my morphs come from Hexagon so I don't have to worry about missing polys or me accidentally using SubD/Scale options.  I have done a HD Detail morph in Sculptris for a head before, and yes- I used the MLP for that head detail morph.   Both imports make a "morph" dial in the Morph area of the Parameters.  Dial it to 100%, check the rigging with various expressions and poses, adjust the rigging anyway (trust me you may not notice, but the rigging can still be off), check the poses/expressions again, then ERC freeze the adjusted rigging for the portion of the model you morphed.  Make sure to go into the parameters of the morph dial to remove the -100% and make it zero (so people don't accidentally reverse the morph completely), choose the type of dial it is (change shape, I think) and choose the Name.  You may want to check the "auto follow" box as well if it's for the body (I don't for the head), and choose the colors of the dial to make it unique.  Then save it as a Morph Asset and your dial is saved.

Thanks very much for your help:)

• Havos said:

It's a weight map, and weight maps are specific to a mesh. There's no reason one couldn't be made for another figure, however - perhaps a PA will do so, or someone will do one as a freebie.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577

Hmmm...

Havos said:

It's a weight map, and weight maps are specific to a mesh. There's no reason one couldn't be made for another figure, however - perhaps a PA will do so, or someone will do one as a freebie.

I built these for Genesis 2 & 3, Male and Female. I basically used this tutorial which, even though it's in Japanese, has enough illustrations to get the idea regardless of your perfered language.

If anyone has any corrections to either the implementation or methodology, please speak up.

zip
    zip
    DFormer.zip
    edited October 2017
    Esemwy said:

Hmmm...

Havos said:

I built these for Genesis 2 & 3, Male and Female. I basically used this tutorial which, even though it's in Japanese, has enough illustrations to get the idea regardless of your perfered language.

If anyone has any corrections to either the implementation or methodology, please speak up.

Oh wow! This is awesome! I'm looking forward to using it. Thank you very much for taking the time to make this and share it with us. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • lexbairdlexbaird Posts: 167
    Esemwy said:

Hmmm...

Thanks for these. Where should the files be located? I find the G8F Headsplit D-former under: People > Genesis 8 Female > Developer Kit. Should I just create a "Developer Kit" folder under G3 and G2, and then Morph Loader Pro will find them?

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Is there a simple way to zero a bunch of different morphs at once on a dial spun character? Like zero the arms, or legs, or body.
  • There's a simple way to zero all of them (Zero Figure in the menu on the Parameters tab), but I don't know of anything more precise.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

could really use a dform head/body splitter for dragon 3 !!!!!!

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    Mistara said:

could really use a dform head/body splitter for dragon 3 !!!!!!

https://www.daz3d.com/x-morphs

• Hello everybody!
    This for me was the best tutorial ever made to explain how to do this! Hope it is useful as it was for me!
    Cheers!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-n3lafUEGg

• thanks everyone, i'm trying to help a friend and solve this problem.

after following all tutorials here and split head from body all we can get is an head that go inside the body. Any tips would be very appreciated

• thanks everyone, i'm trying to help a friend and solve this problem.

after following all tutorials here and split head from body all we can get is an head that go inside the body. Any tips would be very appreciated

If the morph moves the head down then that will happen - it's why some radical shapes can't be split, at least not easily. You could make sure that no scaling is being applied by the shape you want to split, and if it is reset it to 100%, that might be enough to help. Otherwise you could try translating the shaped figure up so the ehad was at the right height before exporting the OBJ.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,127

Hi DarwinsMishap, just stumbled across this thread. I would like to know if the same can be done through three objs? ((1) head, (2) body and (3) entire character ie head + body) Load each obj into Morph Loader Pro, dial the morph to 100%, adjust rigging to shape, then choose the morph to ERC freeze. Am I doing it right? I know it's not the cleverest way, but I just don't want to mess things up by the head deformer... thanks in advance.
  • CHWT said:

DarwinsMishap said:

Hi DarwinsMishap, just stumbled across this thread. I would like to know if the same can be done through three objs? ((1) head, (2) body and (3) entire character ie head + body) Load each obj into Morph Loader Pro, dial the morph to 100%, adjust rigging to shape, then choose the morph to ERC freeze. Am I doing it right? I know it's not the cleverest way, but I just don't want to mess things up by the head deformer... thanks in advance.

You cannot add to or remove from the model when creating morphs, it has to be the geometry of the base figure with the only allowed change being moving the vertices around

CHWT said:

DarwinsMishap said:

You cannot add to or remove from the model when creating morphs, it has to be the geometry of the base figure with the only allowed change being moving the vertices around

Hi Richard, yes those three objs I mentioned were created from the base figure with no other morphs applied... so did I do it correctly? Thanks!
    CHWT said:

CHWT said:

DarwinsMishap said:

Hi Richard, yes those three objs I mentioned were created from the base figure with no other morphs applied... so did I do it correctly? Thanks!
    Also no vertices deleted or added.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 2020

OK, if it's the comcpleet mesh each time with one having changes to the head shape and not the body, one with changes to the body shape but the head, and oen with both then yes you can load them as morphs - that's how it used to be done before DS had the ability to split in Morph Loader. However, having a full morph is rather redundant when you can just have a controller to turn on both head and body.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

OK, if it's the comcpleet mesh each time with one having changes to the head shape and not the body, one with changes to the body shape but the head, and oen with both then yes you can load them as morphs - that's how it used to be done before DS had the ability to split in Morph Loader. However, having a full morph is rather redundant when you can just have a controller to turn on both head and body.

Hi Richard, thank you for the reply! I agree with your opinion. Thanks for the advice.