Issues with Denoiser since update of 4.14 Pro....

Anyone else having an issue of denoiser NOT kicking in even though it's turned on in the filtering options list? Eversince this update, my renders have been very grainy. I've been trying to find a different setting to compensate, but nothing is working. Is there something I have to do manually for it to kick in again? I use the gigiplex denoise program to denoise images as well so I'm not hurting on that end....but I do like when I have the denoiser in Daz working so it makes things easier. Anyone have any ideas or can point me in the right direction? Thank you very much in advance for the help and possible answers.

Comments

• Are you sure Iray isn't exceeding the GPU memory and dropping to CPU (if that is enabled)? The denoiser will not work without a GPU.

• I'm positive that it is not dropping....eversince the last update, it doesn't kick in at all.

• The denoiser doesn't kick in at all. I have 2 1080ti cards in my machine, so I know I'm not exceeding the gpu. I'm not sure what to do here.

• I think I might have solved it....in advanced, I had the cpu and both gpu boxes checked off....I unchecked the cpu one and now denoiser is back.....so to Richard and anyone else who might look at this, thank you for taking the time.

• Well....my denoiser is now working in my viewport at least....but when I do a render, I'm just getting a black frame. When I use iray in my viewport, I get my image....but when I do a render it's all black.......I'm seriously getting frustrated....

• I have the issue too!

• What driver versions are you using?

Two 1080Tis have the same memory capacity as one - each GPU has to load the entire scene.

• smackthis527 said:

I think I might have solved it....in advanced, I had the cpu and both gpu boxes checked off....I unchecked the cpu one and now denoiser is back.....so to Richard and anyone else who might look at this, thank you for taking the time.

I have reset "prefered engine" in the render settings from NVIDIA IRAY to 'viewport' and to NVIDIA IRAY back. Now denoiser seems to work in the viewport.

• Richard Haseltine said:

What driver versions are you using?

Two 1080Tis have the same memory capacity as one - each GPU has to load the entire scene.

I'm using the most update drivers. My denoiser is actually working now. The Scene in which the denoiser wasn't working originally though now won't render. It's just all black. When I open a different file or a new figure, that renders. I was also having an issue with this particular file a few days ago because I was getting an error with dforce, it wouldn't simulate. And all the characters in the scene have on either dforce hair or some kinda dforce clothing. So I'm figuring something with that file is probably corrupt. 

• VoxxaVoxxa Posts: 64
    edited May 2021

I'm too is having problems with Post Denoiser. Have recently started to use it. Made a scene with a rock band in DAZ Studio, consisting of four members. Before adding the fourth one, Post Denoiser seemed to work just fine. After the fourth was added, it seemed as if it turned on, then off again. I use a Nvidia RTX 3060 12 GB card. My RAM is 64 GB. Have two SSD's (really three since on is in a RAID 0 configuration) I use apart from a 6TB HDD which I store the DAZ Stuff in. Would be great to hear what you guys have to say. In this scene I have amplifiers and speakers and a scene of course. Might be much, when you think about it, but still... got to ask. One guy I'm following on YouTube, Jay Versluis, advices to restart DAZ Studio after checking the Post denoiser boxes.

Post edited by Voxxa on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219

Post denoiser is available only if the GPU is being used - I suspect the fourth character just tipped the whole ting over the edge to CPU fallback (check the log file - Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File).

Thanks! Will check it. Meanwhile I'm using another trick to get rid of the fireflies. Render in greater numbers of pixels, then shrink after the render is finished. I read somewhere that it sometimes does the trick. I usually have to post edit in Photoshop using the Blur Brush. I do like DAZ Studio and it's as far as my knowledge in 3D stands today. It's challeging and keeps me going. I can send you a half completed image of what I'm doing. Didn't finish the render, so... but anyway, perhaps you get a feeling what I'm after?

Test.jpg
    2500 x 1458 - 1M

OK. Thought the problem wasx explained - way too many things and models in the picture. Tried Denoiser again with only one G8F model. Nothing happens. I have no background, or anything else that can cause disturbance, but this G8F model. Seems like Denoiser has been knocked out of DAZ Studio completely. When I check the boxes, absolutely nothing happens. I'll try to reinstall DAZ Studio 4.15 and see what happens.

• Voxxa said:

OK. Thought the problem wasx explained - way too many things and models in the picture. Tried Denoiser again with only one G8F model. Nothing happens. I have no background, or anything else that can cause disturbance, but this G8F model. Seems like Denoiser has been knocked out of DAZ Studio completely. When I check the boxes, absolutely nothing happens. I'll try to reinstall DAZ Studio 4.15 and see what happen

Not sure if you got this solved...I completely forgot about this thread.....check your VRAM....if you're exceeding that, denoiser won't take effect. If you hit Ctrl + alt + del, choose taskmaster and click on the performance tab then scroll to the bottom....Try doing this when you're trying to get denoiser going to really see how much you're using. 

I got 64 GB's of RAM. To me that would be sufficient, but one never knows for sure, right?! The thing I feel that Denoiser does, is that it creates the same thing like a JPEG image looks like after a number of saves upon each other. It smears the colors and affects the contrast and sharpness. That's why I don't use it anymore. I finally made it and got the image done. Took a lot of time though. Almost like DAZ Studio is standing on the toes at the end.

The Band Plays On 2.jpg
    4000 x 2250 - 8M