Desert Planet 360

Saw this released today whilst quick browsing on my phone at work. Fell in love with the planet HDRI's, as have been looking for some newer ones for a desert outpost scene setting.

In my haste I didn't read the description properly (my bad, I know!) and therefore didn't realise that for some inexplicable reason, the creator deemed it a great idea to add their (also released today) 'Sand Creatures' into the actual HDRI's. I had assumed they were simply showing off their two products together, but alas no. So now I am stuck with gorgeous HDRI landscapes spoiled with fantasy monsters that I can not really put to good use.

This is really just a buyer beware so you know that the monsters are definitely part of the HDRI and cannot be removed.

Why the creator thought this is a good idea is beyond me. If I wanted some sci-fi sand monster in the scene I'd have bought the relevant product and placed it *where I wanted*.

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 2020

John Alexander Hopper said:

Saw this released today whilst quick browsing on my phone at work. Fell in love with the planet HDRI's, as have been looking for some newer ones for a desert outpost scene setting.

In my haste I didn't read the description properly (my bad, I know!) and therefore didn't realise that for some inexplicable reason, the creator deemed it a great idea to add their (also released today) 'Sand Creatures' into the actual HDRI's. I had assumed they were simply showing off their two products together, but alas no. So now I am stuck with gorgeous HDRI landscapes spoiled with fantasy monsters that I can not really put to good use.

This is really just a buyer beware so you know that the monsters are definitely part of the HDRI and cannot be removed.

Why the creator thought this is a good idea is beyond me. If I wanted some sci-fi sand monster in the scene I'd have bought the relevant product and placed it *where I wanted*.

You do know that you can give products back inside of 30 days?

https://www.daz3d.com/help/

Scroll down for the FAQ:

Daz 3D has a 30-day money back guarantee on everything in the store except for Platinum Club+ Memberships and Gift Cards. These items are NON-REFUNDABLE.
    When you make a purchase, please be sure to test it within 30 days of purchase. If you find that the purchased product does not fit your needs, please submit a technical support ticket for assistance. Be sure to include the purchase order number as well as the name of the product that you wish to refund
    Please note: In order to prevent abuse of the return policy, if the number of returns from a customer is excessive or repetitive, Daz 3D reserves the right to discontinue refunds for that customer. In this event, Daz 3D will honor the return requests that have been made and will notify the customer that future returns will no longer be accepted.
    You can reach Technical Support and Sales Support HERE.

Make sure to tell them in your ticket how you want the money back - as store credit or to your original payment method. Personally I am using store credit ...

Post edited by Kerya on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

Oh, thank you for mentioning this. Off my cart it goes at once, which is sad, because I love the environments.frown

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

watchdog79 said:

Oh, thank you for mentioning this. Off my cart it goes at once, which is sad, because I love the environments.frown

+1, thanks for the info.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

I noticed before putting it in my cart and thought it's a realy pity, I could have used the HDRIs so nicely in my story if not for those creatures

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,725

Okay, I went and looked at the nine views on the sales page, https://www.daz3d.com/desert-planet-360 and yes some do have critters, but others do not that I could see. And those that do, have them only in small areas where you could easily shift the angle in your render's environment. I may be wrong and there may be critters every 360 degrees, but the product is staying in my cart. I am not a great fan of 'Dune' but that is personal taste. I want that landscape. So long as the critters are not spiders, I'm good.

I suggest each person check those 360 views and decide for themselves.

• TATSU 3DTATSU 3D Posts: 224

memcneil70 said:

Okay, I went and looked at the nine views on the sales page, https://www.daz3d.com/desert-planet-360 and yes some do have critters, but others do not that I could see. And those that do, have them only in small areas where you could easily shift the angle in your render's environment. I may be wrong and there may be critters every 360 degrees, but the product is staying in my cart. I am not a great fan of 'Dune' but that is personal taste. I want that landscape. So long as the critters are not spiders, I'm good.

Good for you - if you like them, keep them! My intention was merely to inform, not to put people off buying it. Still think it's a daft decision by the creator though!

Kerya said:

You do know that you can give products back inside of 30 days?

https://www.daz3d.com/help/

Scroll down for the FAQ:

Daz 3D has a 30-day money back guarantee on everything in the store except for Platinum Club+ Memberships and Gift Cards. These items are NON-REFUNDABLE.
    When you make a purchase, please be sure to test it within 30 days of purchase. If you find that the purchased product does not fit your needs, please submit a technical support ticket for assistance. Be sure to include the purchase order number as well as the name of the product that you wish to refund
    Please note: In order to prevent abuse of the return policy, if the number of returns from a customer is excessive or repetitive, Daz 3D reserves the right to discontinue refunds for that customer. In this event, Daz 3D will honor the return requests that have been made and will notify the customer that future returns will no longer be accepted.
    You can reach Technical Support and Sales Support HERE.

Make sure to tell them in your ticket how you want the money back - as store credit or to your original payment method. Personally I am using store credit ...

Thanks for the info!

memcneil70 said:

Good for you - if you like them, keep them! My intention was merely to inform, not to put people off buying it. Still think it's a daft decision by the creator though!

I do need to thank you though. I had just looked at the main image and moved it into my cart without further thought. After your warning, I took that time (and had more coffee in my system) I carefully looked at it. So I just purchased it and any issue I find will be on me, not on midnight_stories.  

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    edited December 2020
    If the creatures are generally far away it's an easy edit in Photoshop to take them out. Most of you probably don't have Photoshop. So it's a huge blunder on the part of the PA.
    Post edited by mwokee on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,773
    edited December 2020

I think, they look very nice and if you are not doing 360 degree renders, one can easily rotate the dome.

Below are just quick renders of some of the presets included with rotated dome as needed.

dp01pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 334K
    dp03pic03.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 288K
    dp05pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 274K
    dp06pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 403K
    dp08pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 287K
    dp09pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 322K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,476

If you have photoshop or anything that can edit the HDRI and resave as Radiance file you can easily clone them out. 

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited December 2020

Rotating the dome is the way to go for me. Here is DP07, the one with the close up aliens. Dome rotated from 180 to 150 and Deathstalker added, quick WIP render. I'll keep them definitely but appreciate the OP heads up about the creatures being added. I actually might do a Dune render with the one with the worm in the background.

Daethstalker-DesertPlanet360.png
    1513 x 970 - 2M
    Post edited by Haruchai on
  • It's also something I was wondering about in regards to this product by the same content creator:

https://www.daz3d.com/nebula-360

The preview images show pre-existing space stations and such in them. Can anyone confirm if the actual HDRIs include those or if they're blank?

Greybro said:

If you have photoshop or anything that can edit the HDRI and resave as Radiance file you can easily clone them out. 

I neither have the software, nor do I understand the rest of what you said (meaning I cannot do anything such myself at all).

This is one of the products I would love to buy, but it is of no use for me with those Dune creatures there. If the author updates the product with an option to not have those creatures there, I am in. Unfortunately, currently it is a hard pass for me.

Maybe we should just ask nicely the creator.

Midnight Stories, could you please remake https://www.daz3d.com/desert-planet-360 without creatures added to panoramas.

Artini said:

Midnight Stories, could you please remake https://www.daz3d.com/desert-planet-360 without creatures added to panoramas.

Or at least an option to have them or not.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

I understand the PAs esire to have their products in the HDR, it's their work and they want to showcase it. Like the others though I would have preferred versions with and without as well.

FSMCDesigns said:

I understand the PAs esire to have their products in the HDR, it's their work and they want to showcase it. Like the others though I would have preferrYed versions with and without as well.

Yes, that is even better - keep versions with creatures and create HDR without them.

Well I just downloaded and with an update to Dark Places Alley, I added one of the HDRIs (06) to the sky and it looks fine and useful for even non-Sci-Fi renders. I hadn't paid attention to the two different versions to choose from 16k and 8k. 

edited December 2020

Example render with Reynard - https://www.daz3d.com/reynard-for-genesis-8-male

Reynard01sc03pic07.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 373K
    Post edited by Artini on

Haruchai said:

Artini said:

Or at least an option to have them or not.

Options are always great, because they may suit more people's needs.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562

@Xenomorphine I opened up each of the nebula HDR files in Photoshop and there are no other objects with the exception of the red version, which has a planet and an asteroid belt in it.

• Many thanks, Phoenix!

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562

Glad to help. :)

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335
    edited December 2020

Artini said:

Very cool HDRIs! Perfect for sci-fi projects! I too would like to sign the petition to have remakes sans creatures.

Post edited by mmkdaz on
  • I really do not understand the problem here, as you can see the creatures clearly in the preview images provided.

Xanathon said:

I really do not understand the problem here, as you can see the creatures clearly in the preview images provided.

The problem for some of us is the creatures being there at all, because we don't have a use for such environments.

We would simply like to kindly ask the creator of the environments to consider making an update with the creatures being optional. Like two versions - with and without them.

edited December 2020

Xanathon said:

I really do not understand the problem here, as you can see the creatures clearly in the preview images provided.

The problem is that 99% of HDRI creators do not include figures in their HDRIs but use them in the promos to show them off, this set is different so an assumption was made that this set was the same. This was pointed out by the OP as a warning to those of us who made that assumption.

The other set referenced in this thread by the same creator, Nebula 360, clearly has a space station in all the previews of the HDRIs which lead me to believe that the space station was part of the HDRI. Phoenix1966 has confirmed above this is not the case. What are we to assume the HDRIs actually look like prior to purchase with this inconsistancy?

Post edited by Haruchai on

Haruchai said:

Xanathon said:

The problem is that 99% of HDRI creators do not include figures in their HDRIs but use them in the promos to show them off, this set is different so an assumption was made that this set was the same. This was pointed out by the OP as a warning to those of us who made that assumption.

The other set referenced in this thread by the same creator, Nebula 360, clearly has a space station in all the previews of the HDRIs which lead me to believe that the space station was part of the HDRI. Phoenix1966 has confirmed above this is not the case. What are we to assume the HDRIs actually look like prior to purchase with this inconsistancy?

Well, it does say this it the description: "Some with sand creatures in the background, some with sand storms..."

Your point is valid nonetheless. I would have expected the PA to create the product with options for both those who want to make Dune stuff, and for those who don't.

watchdog79 said:

Haruchai said:

Xanathon said:

Well, it does say this it the description: "Some with sand creatures in the background, some with sand storms..."

Your point is valid nonetheless. I would have expected the PA to create the product with options for both those who want to make Dune stuff, and for those who don't.

The thing is, even if we wanted the creatures to be a part of the scene, there's still no logic to what the PA has done by including them in this way. After all, they're going to be fixed in the same pose, in the same place. For a writer of stories such as myself, this woulD again make the scenes unusable.  Saying that, if you're a single render creator, these would work out fine I guess!