DAZ Gen(eration) 4: running the DzCreateExPFiles-###.bat files - figures in multiple Poser runtimes.

3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
edited December 2020 in Poser Discussion

I'm about to reinstall all my DAZ generation 4 muppets for use in Poser 11.

While digging out the fixes for the Freak 4 arm dent and V4 eyes not closing problems I was reminded not only that I mustn't forget to run these batch files, but that it's actually one of these batch files that causes the V4 eye problem. But that's for later.

One oft-repeated piece of advice is to make sure, before running the batch file, that you only have one runtime containing the relevant figure. E.g Richard Haseltine gave the following advice (back in 2015) for running the V4 batch file "Make sure you don't have two \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ\Victoria 4 folders, especially if you've recently added a library to Poser. Go to \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ and run the DzCreateExPFiles-v4 file."

But I have two:

1. My old "DAZ Figures" runtime which contains all my DAZ gen(eration) 1 to 4 figures, plus accrued junk from over a decade.
  2. My new single figure runtimes, e.g "/DAZ/V4"

I'm assuming from Richard's wording that it's Poser mapped runtimes that are important,

So as long as I only have the second runtime mapped to Poser, then I should be okay ?

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Yes, that should work.  Run the batch file in the new single-figure runtime, and it will generate the ExP files for what's in that runtime.

• 3dcheapskate said:

I'm about to reinstall all my DAZ generation 4 muppets for use in Poser 11.

While digging out the fixes for the Freak 4 arm dent and V4 eyes not closing problems I was reminded not only that I mustn't forget to run these batch files, but that it's actually one of these batch files that causes the V4 eye problem. But that's for later.

One oft-repeated piece of advice is to make sure, before running the batch file, that you only have one runtime containing the relevant figure. E.g Richard Haseltine gave the following advice (back in 2015) for running the V4 batch file "Make sure you don't have two \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ\Victoria 4 folders, especially if you've recently added a library to Poser. Go to \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ and run the DzCreateExPFiles-v4 file."

But I have two:

1. My old "DAZ Figures" runtime which contains all my DAZ gen(eration) 1 to 4 figures, plus accrued junk from over a decade.
    2. My new single figure runtimes, e.g "/DAZ/V4"

I'm assuming from Richard's wording that it's Poser mapped runtimes that are important,

So as long as I only have the second runtime mapped to Poser, then I should be okay ?

Yes, you just don't want to have two active /Runtime/Libraries/!DAZ/ folders for a given figure, and of course only products installed to the active folder will be available to load.

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2020

Thanks both.
    The following's mainly for my own reference. I've redownloaded the manual install zip files for all the basicGen(eration) 1-4 figures, morphs, etc. As a quick test I unzipped just V4 base and V4 Morphs ++ to a new runtime that I called 3) V4++, duplicated that runtime and named it 4) V4++ - Ran ExP, ran the batch file from the duplicate (4) runtime, and then did a file compare (WinMerge). Only the PZ2 files in Runtime/libraries/!DAZ/Victoria (not subfolders) were changed, all except the Eye and tongue ones (screenshot attached).

Reminder to self: It took a while to remember how to use the Morphs++ because the last time I did this was many years ago. I was surprised that when I loaded V4 from my 4) V4++ - Ran ExP runtime the Morphs++ groups were present, but there were no actual morphs (second attached image). Of course I had to apply the INJ Morphs++ pose. I must have been using a V4 with morphs pre-injected as my base figure.

I was pleased to see that Vicky's eyes open and close correctly, so it would seem like that particular bug was actually fixed some time over the past several years.

V4++ diffs.jpg
    1226 x 615 - 356K
    Groups++.jpg
    566 x 590 - 66K
  • Oh, Wow!!!  I have tried so many things!!!  I hope to try this soon!!  Thank you so much!!!

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2020

Something strikes me about the "Make sure you don't have two \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ\Victoria 4 folders" - doesn't that imply that the DzCreateExpFiles.exe reads a Poser configuration file - otherwise why would it matter whether or not, and how many, mapped runtimes you have that contain the aforementioned folder ?

So what if you have more than one version of Poser installed, with possibly different mapped runtimes ?

What if you a DAZ Studio user who doesn't use Poser ?

But you run the batch file from Windows Explorer, from \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ - so why should it even care ? Surely it should do whatever it does just to the \Victoria 4 subfolder of the location it's run from ?

• 3dcheapskate said:

Something strikes me about the "Make sure you don't have two \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ\Victoria 4 folders" - doesn't that imply that the DzCreateExpFiles.exe reads a Poser configuration file - otherwise why would it matter whether or not, and how many, mapped runtimes you have that contain the aforementioned folder ?

So what if you have more than one version of Poser installed, with possibly different mapped runtimes ?

What if you a DAZ Studio user who doesn't use Poser ?

But you run the batch file from Windows Explorer, from \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ - so why should it even care ? Surely it should do whatever it does just to the \Victoria 4 subfolder of the location it's run from ?

Poser can soemtimes be stubborn about where it looks for files, with multiple (different) connected Runtimes with the back-end folder it may load the wrong version of soem files, potentially breaking the process. I'm pretty sure that isn't just hypothetical, that there actually have been people with issues that turned out to be multiple active /Runtime/Libraries/!DAZ/Victoria 4/ folders

• Ah, I'd got hold of the wrong end of the stick years ago.! 

Of course it makes perfect sense now, laugh