blurry or low-res Iray previews

What causes some iray preveiws to be low res on the screen and other to be screen res?

If I render there's no problem, just the previews do this.

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 2020

It may have to do with the settings under Edit > Preferences > Interface, I can see they have made some changes here so I'm not familiar with the new setup, but I recall there was a setting where you could increase Viewport response with large scenes by reducing the preview resolution.  Maybe it does that dynamically now?

Post edited by Taoz on
  • onixonix Posts: 282

Low res preview is shown when you are moving your viewport  but not sure if this is what you are talking baout

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

thanks for the responses.

Taoz, I'll give it a shot, but it's actually happening with my less complex scenes.

Onix, it does this initally but in some cases it keeps rending, in others it just says lo res. I guess blurry is the wrong word.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268
    I've seen this too, it seems to be a bug. The Iray in the preview window is very blurred, perhaps rendered at a very low res. Closing opening Daz (maybe a few times) then it goes back to normal. I've seen it in prior 4.12, still happens with latest 4.14.
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

StratDragon said:

What causes some iray preveiws to be low res on the screen and other to be screen res?

If I render there's no problem, just the previews do this.

I've seen lower resolution that I expect in the interactive render with 4.14 but I've also caused this myself by accidentally leaving DOF on with a camera view where I had moved the camera and/or actor.  Of course that shows in a render as well.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

thanks guy, I'll keep playing. I may be using one cam to preview and another to render the final so if it's DOF I should check.

• FreeBassFreeBass Posts: 1

OK... I'm late to the party, but I never had this until 4.20.

After much borking of everything I found that I can fix this via Draw Settings> Manipulation Resolution> Normal.

So far I've only tried this w/ a single G8F + clothes/ hair in my scene, so I'm assuming that draw times will get nuts w/ larger scenes.

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

Also late to the party but have seen this a couple times. 

In IRAY Preview it starts to render (big "pixels"). Ordinarily the big pixes would then become more refined smaller pixels over time but instead it just stops at some point like the system "forgets" to keep going. I've rendered quite enough of this thank you very much. 

I have fiddled with a few things and "fixed" it but I couldn't tell you what I'd monkeyd around with. 

Save to a new version of the file then reload seems most reliable.

• pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 265

Just ran into this in 4.21, thanks for the fix.